What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

I could believe it. It is a heavy, well made razor.

If you want to know, just put your razor on a scale. If that razor is between 83-84gr, you have a Barbasol. If is between 87-88gr, it's a PAL Make in England. Look alike clones ? Ok. Clones with the same weight ? No way.

Ile de France.
French, slant, bakelite.
I do not know the exact date, but "Le Petit Parisien" newspaper was closed in 1944.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Help with info on "Sol".
I just scored this beauty and am awaiting delivery. Anyone around these parts have additional info? When and where it came from? Anyone shave with one of these? Anyone, anyone??

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444782343.266925.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444782357.632997.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444782367.103673.jpg

Picked up a Segal with 5 blades this weekend for $9 - it needs some love before it can be used, but it's not in bad shape at all.

$20151011_192700.jpg$20151011_192723.jpg$20151011_192737.jpg

Oh I can add to this thread :001_smile

I don't have a clue in the world what it is but I can say with unabridged certainty that it "sure ain't no Gillette" :001_smile

proxy.php

2 years and a half later, I know what it is ! It's a "Pétard" razor, French made. Here are some other models :

Note the cruved head, the "safeguard bar" is on the TOP cap and not on the lower one :w00t:

2 years and a half later, I know what it is ! It's a "Pétard" razor, French made. Here are some other models :

Note the cruved head, the "safeguard bar" is on the TOP cap and not on the lower one :w00t:

Isn't it for underarms? I have a Neillite that is curved like this.

2 years and a half later, I know what it is ! It's a "Pétard" razor, French made. Here are some other models

VERY NICE of you to post all these years later to let me know what "the beast" is.

It shaves extremely close with the curved blade.

proxy.php

Isn't it for underarms? I have a Neillite that is curved like this.

Nope, it was definitely made for men, the previous owner of mine was an old collector and confirmed this.

VERY NICE of you to post all these years later to let me know what "the beast" is.

It shaves extremely close with the curved blade.

You are very welcome ! I remember well when yours was on ebay and I missed it, so I kept my eyes opened all this time...

I can't wait to try it !

You are very welcome ! I remember well when yours was on ebay and I missed it, so I kept my eyes opened all this time...

I can't wait to try it !

It is like the beastly R-41 (shows a fair amount of blade) but with a sharp blade (Feather or 5 o'clock black) it is as smooth and tame as a little kitten that eats whiskers

Top Bottom