What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

That is the straight bar version of the solingen differential head. You usually see them in slant configurations

I was hoping someone would help me id it, thx! Found a post with pics of an EMIR with the same style head. Apparently one side will be more aggressive than the other. Need to make a plan with the top cap and give it a go.

My Czech Soluna (not sure what vintage) that I shaved with today... it's a little scary!

Jonsta
Solunas were in production till late 1980's/early1990's, they are excellent shavers, very thorough, they give me far better shave than any of the modern ones. Yes, they might bite you if misbehave, all you need to do to save yourself from a bite is to keep the touch light. I have 3 of them, one left for me from my father and 2 NOS, which I happened to buy recenty for only 1.99 each in their original boxes.

The Matador is everything a Tech should be, but isn't. The Matodor's build quality is much better, resulting in a heavier razor that is a tad more aggressive. Nonetheless, it is still quite mild. Larzone is the resident Matador expert.

Haha! Thank you, not an expert but I do have a bunch of them and shaved with almost all of them. I would say they shave lika a SS, maybe a tad more aggressive. I also have the, not so easy to get, Matador Micro. Matador did produced OC's. I have one and it's mild, IMHO milder then a single ring.

A link to my Micro.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/445300-Took-me-3-years-Matador-Micro?highlight=

Last edited:
I bought this beauty in a local antiques shop for 4 bugs. :)

Original condition:

proxy.php
proxy.php

Restored condition, before replating:

proxy.php

proxy.php

It is an excellent shaver, rather aggressive, though.

Valencia three piece open comb slant.

I bought this on a lark, but I'm glad I did. In the hand, it is spectacular. Truly, a work of art. Just what you would expect from French designers.
The torque is massive, exceeded only slightly by my Fasan double slant. The shave is fairly aggressive. I find most slants to be relatively mild. Not the Valencia.

$IMG_0681[1].jpg$IMG_0683[1].jpg

Valencia three piece open comb slant.

I bought this on a lark, but I'm glad I did. In the hand, it is spectacular. Truly, a work of art. Just what you would expect from French designers.
The torque is massive, exceeded only slightly by my Fasan double slant. The shave is fairly aggressive. I find most slants to be relatively mild. Not the Valencia.

$IMG_0683[1].jpg

Nice score, Doc!

Big congrats! :thumbup1:

I've just bought a "GILBERT TRADE MARK" safety razor in an auction. It seems just impossible to find any info about this product. is there anybody who happens to know anything about Gilbert safety razors? A friend of mine bought one a few months ago and yet he still has no info about the producer, the history, anything.

Mine looks like this:

$P1450048.jpg$P1450049.jpg$P1450047.jpg

The other one:

Attachments

• $DSCN1088.jpg
    $DSCN1088.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 322
  • $DSCN1096.jpg
    $DSCN1096.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 321
My German made Ben Hur Number 2 just arrived from Portugal.

proxy.php

proxy.php

A quick clean, no polish and it was ready to go. Being confident of German manufacturing and design I shoved a Feather blade in it and into action. I wasn't looking for the closest shave ever as I still have a sensitive neck after last nights first attempt with a Tech Devette. This is a very nice shaver. It may be a Gillette OLD Type clone but it's milder than an OLD Type.

proxy.php

proxy.php

A very comfortable shave with zero irritation. Just what I wanted today. I like it. I like it a lot but then I'm always impressed by my OLD Type.

Top Bottom