What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

Now that's an interesting design! It looks like you could mount the head also upside down, I reckon it sports two different geometries or am I wrong?

Saw this one for cheap and couldn't resist. A Durham Duplex in DE format. Not satisfied with just looking at it, I have some carpet cutting blades on order--the company makes em, not meant for the face but I continually demonstrate poor judgment--and will see if I survive.

Pictured with a standard DE blade to compare size. I saw a few threads about these hit resisted the urge to practice thread necromancy.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 643
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 643
The Lutz version of the solingen slant is virtually identical to the model you have apart from the end of the handle. Interesting...

$WP_20131106_21_04_08_Pro.jpg

Hi,

I took a couple shots of the generic Slant head made in Solingen and used by quite a few razor brands. Apparently, one company made heads like this, and quite a few of the German straight razor brands then bought these to sell under their names. This keeps well with the 'Not Gillette' theme.

Anyway, one of the designs of the generic Solingen Slant was such that one side is more aggressive than the other. This can be easily told as the more aggressive side has a coarser scallop on the safety bar. The milder side has a finer scallop. I refer to this as being 'differentially aggressive'. It is sort of like having an adjustable razor with automatic adjustment when you spin the handle to flip it over. :thumbup1:

In use, one goes over a patch with the aggressive side, then flips and goes back over the same patch with the mild side. The aggressive side leaves enough lather to do so without re-lathering. I usually run North/South with the aggressive side then East/West with the mild side.

This works about as well as when I used a Gillette Red Tip or Open Comb for the first pass North/South, then a Tech for the second pass East/West. Now, the Tech only has a few spots to clean up, and I don't really have to use the Tech at all. The mild side on the Slant can easily do that job using a little new lather that was sitting unused on the brush. it is just that I like to still use the old Tech, being as it was my first razor way back in 76. :biggrin1:

Overall, the Solingen Slant is so good a shaver, I am seriously considering cutting my little collection down to the Slant and a few of my family hand-me-down razors.

This is the aggressive side of the Solingen Slant:

View attachment 363608

The mild side:

The ironic part is such a good shaving razor was made by some company no one recalls the name of any longer.

Stan

Edit: The handle you see is not the original one. It is a Weber stainless. The original handle has badly worn threads and is retired. It was really light, so substituting the stainless handle fixes three issues for me: bigger, heavier, and new threads.

Edit2: Here is a shot with the original handle in place:

Wow. It's been awhile since any posts. So let me bump an old worthy thread. For those of you who have not seen this thread I urge you to go look through it as there are some beautiful razors. I'll add mine for the record.
Koenig slant pre 1940 ish (Made in Germany)
Gold Merkur adjustable 1990 ish

Attachments

• $IMG_20140301_203137_991.jpg
    $IMG_20140301_203137_991.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 606
  • $IMG_20140301_202424_728.jpg
    $IMG_20140301_202424_728.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 609
  • $IMG_20140301_174000_120.jpg
    $IMG_20140301_174000_120.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
I love this thread, so I'm posting a modest contribution to keep it going. Pictured below is an Olyfa razor made in France. I don't know when it was made, from what material it was made, or much of anything else. I shaved with it this morning using a UK Wilkinson Super Sword Edge blade (on its 9th voyage) and was very impressed. It is neither mild nor aggressive - solidly in the medium range: a very smooth and pleasant shaver. The first picture is mine. I clipped the second one from the interwebs.

$IMG_0223[1].jpg
proxy.php

Thats a serious looking razor, certainly a great add to this thread. Every time I forget about you you guys pop something great into it.

Thanks for sharing Doc

And the beat goes on ... here is my vintage French Jarville. Obviously a knock-off of the Gillette DR (with a fuzzy picture and a vague description, I could probably make $100 on the 'Bay with this thing!). Cha-wing posted another Jarville a few pages back, but his looks more like a Single Ring, so this is still kinda-sorta new to this thread.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-quot-Vintage-DE-Thread?p=5416762#post5416762
The first picture is mine. The second picture was swiped from the Googles (to show what it would look like if I were lucky enough to have the case).

$IMG_0225[1].jpg

proxy.php

And the beat goes on ... here is my vintage French Jarville. Obviously a knock-off of the Gillette DR (with a fuzzy picture and a vague description, I could probably make $100 on the 'Bay with this thing!). Cha-wing posted another Jarville a few pages back, but his looks more like a Single Ring, so this is still kinda-sorta new to this thread.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-quot-Vintage-DE-Thread?p=5416762#post5416762
The first picture is mine. The second picture was swiped from the Googles (to show what it would look like if I were lucky enough to have the case).

View attachment 423449

Just for fun, today I shaved with the Jarville DR copy. For the sake of anyone else who manages to pick up one of these, I figured I would record my impressions. If you like mild razors, you will love the Jarville. Very smooth and comfortable shave, using a Rotbart Extra Dünn blade (5). On a ten point scale, I would give this about a 3, more or less comparable to a Leresche #51 (but not nearly as heavy). Tomorrow, I think I will dial up a more aggressive razor ...

Oh nice ! Another Jarville !

Well it's time I add some things ! I shown a "fat handle" Gardette earlier, here is a "slim handle" version :

And I can't believe we still haven't talked about the "Valencia" razors. Made in France, open combed slanted head. Just marvellous. I've had three which I'll show here, but I only kept the last one :

3-piece fat handle :

3 piece slim handle :

T-bar fat handle :

(will had better pictures soon... it needs cleaning !)

And a nice picture found on google :

Wow! So many beautiful French razors.
That fat handled Valencia slant looks like it would be a fantastic shaver. Looks like a Leresche #51 slant ...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've been searching for an EMIR slant for a few years and actually wasn't even sure there was such a thing until I saw someone looking for a cap top for one a year ago here on the B/S/T.
Then today I walked into a favorite antique store here in Santa Cruz and ... BAM, there is a bakelite one sitting in with some single edge razors.
Cool, so I plunked down some cash and I'll be trying it out tomorrow.

It's turning a bit yellowish from the original ivory, I've got another bakelite handle straight safety bar EMIR in the box that's more white.

Chrome tip of handle is deeply scratched like it was skidded around on concrete or pliers mark.

No play in the head for any sort of alignment issues, it's tight! Decent plating.

Good hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Doug, nothing like finding a white whale... even if its a bit yellowish, goodluck with the shave

Top Bottom