What's new

Exceptionally dry normal?

I recently tried my first shave with a straight. I got through most of it safe and cutless. However, I noticed that as I shaved, when I finished the pass, my face was really dry. Is this the way the blade is supposed to leave the skin? And I do mean on the surface. It was not as if I had dry skin and it was itching, it was just dry to the touch. I would like to try this more often, at least to the point that I am proficient at it. Although, I do believe I will probably stick to my DE as an everyday thing.

Luke

Legion

Staff member
The blade should not do that. I'm betting that it was the soap, combined with the fact that your shave took longer than usual because you are new to it. You may want to try a different soap, and maybe a moisturising aftershave.

Another suggestion. Try lathering up just one portion of your face at a time, to avoid drying out the lather over the course of the shave.

Another suggestion. Try lathering up just one portion of your face at a time, to avoid drying out the lather over the course of the shave.

+1 I agree with this advice and also the the other posters. This sounds too dry. In addition to lathering one section at at a time, might I also suggest rinsing your face between passes and also putting a coat of water on your face before adding lather every time? This helps me tremendously. We also have hard water in my town so this plays a factor but even when travelling, I find that more water = improved shave

Top Bottom