What's new

Make Your Own After Shave Balm - Modelled on Castle Forbes Lime

After some tinkering with the original recipe, I came up with this:

1oz Witch Hazel (14% alcohol kind)
1oz aloe vera gel (label says 98%, from Whole Foods)
1/4 tsp menthol crystals crushed
1/4 tsp Florida Water (I'll explain)
2 drops lavender eo
1/2 tsp glycerin

I tried melting the menthol in the Witch Hazel, but it did not dissolve to my satisfaction so I added the 1/4 tsp of Florida Water (it has the highest alcohol content of my aftershave den) and that seemed to work, but I got a white colored concoction that smelled of Vicks, so I added the eo. Tried it once and found it a bit drying so I added the glycerin.

It's milky white, I don't mind that. It smells lightly of lavender. It has a watery gel like consistency, a bit less watery than Lucky Tiger. It goes on shiny, cools as it dries. Upon drydown, I still feel a slight cooling from the menthol for a minute or two. I may add a bit more menthol the next go 'round. My face feels soft, clean, not tight, not oily. My skin is on the oily side of normal, and the added glycerin has just enough moisturizing for me.

All in all, I am extremely pleased with the results. If you like CF balm at $50 per 100ml, experimenting with this recipe won't disappoint and will leave you more cash for other goodies!

Apologies for digging deep and bringing this thread back to life, but it showed up in a search, and wanted to share my results.
I tried an equal mix of Walgreens Witch Hazel and their aloe gel.
I was impatient and couldn't wait to get a decent EO, so I thought I'd try with some vanilla extract from the cupboard.

Yeah, don't do that.
The result smelled a little like...a sickly sweet... uh...personal lubricant? :blushing:
I thought a little almond extract might help, since it smelled better. Not really.

But even though I thought I was making a small batch, I had quite a bit, and I didn't want to toss it, so I gave it a shot. Once applied, it's actually not bad! The wife and kids actually like it, and the feel is great. I'll experiment with the original Lime EO I think for next time.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I love my Duke 3 in best. It does not really feel like a large brush (but I am a big brush guy).

Would there be any issue with just adding a drop or two of an essential oil to a normal amount of an ASB like say Nivea unscented and applying directly to the face?

This is exactly what I do with Aveeno Unscented Aftershave Lotion. I squeeze half the tube into a small container, and add 6 or 7 drops of lime essential oil and mix thoroughly. Works great and is inexpensive.

Wow I'm going to have to give this a try! A 125ml bottle of Castle Forbes aftershave balm is like $60 isn't it?
Seems like a simple recipe.

What kind of Aloe Gel is everyone using? I'm just guessing that what I need is the pure juice that you can drink and is kept refigerated because it doesn't have preservatives like the kinds sold as a skin gel?

It appears that the clear "Fruit of the Earth Aloe Gel from Walmart also contains Triethanolamine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carbomer 940, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea.

A local drug store sells a green "after sun" aloe vera gel that contains: aqua, aloe leaf juice, denatured alcohol, glycerine, polysorbate 20, Carbomer Triethanolamine, Methlparaben, Benzophenone 4, imidazolidinyl urea, yellow 5, blue 1, parfum.

Last edited:
Can I ask a newbie question about the use of essential oils?

I was under the impression that citrus essential oils evaporate quickly, and strip the skin of oil(like Simple Green). So wouldn't citrus essential oils or those with them be a no-no? I thought balms were to add soothing oils to the skin?

What about fragrance oils? Wouldn't they last longer(even if synthetic smelling to some[I can't tell]), and not strip oils? Or would fragrance oil be harsh on the face(I saw some threads saying they're pretty safe). Or could you add cologne samplers?
I was thinking something like this: http://fragranceoilwarehouse.com/?product=dreamer-versace-type-mens <--lemony, vanilla-y, and sweet tobacco-y

Or is that a terrible, terrible idea? :blushing:

Also, would it be a good idea to add some sunscreen to it for uv protection?
Sorry if these seem like dumb ideas.

I was looking around the internet and I think I found the motherload.

Re: DIY aftershave recipe wanted
5:42 on Thursday January 12th 2012
I have a dozen. (deep breath now) ...

After Shave Recipes

Alcohol-Free Softening Aftershave Some men don’t like alcohol in their aftershave.
2 cups witch hazel extract
2 ounces rose water
2 ounces aloe vera gel
1/2 ounce vegetable glycerin
A few drops of an essential oil of your choice (such as peppermint and eucalyptus), if desired Combine the ingredients in a jar, and shake to blend.
Pat on the face after shaving.
Makes 2 1/2 cups.

For using essential oils, be careful with them. Some are not so good used on the skin.
My curent recepie is this,
50ml water
50ml aloe gel 100%
1 ts honey
1 ts almond oil
2 tbs dried chamomile flowers.
It is absolutely wonderful, i like the smell too. It is not scented wit any essential oils, but i might try some ylangylang or patchouli when i get them.
I like bergamot scent a lot, but it is phototoxic a bit, so i wont be using it...

Gary's Aftershave
1/3 witch hazel
2/3 water
50 drops Sandalwood
4 drops grapefruit
1 drop cardamon
1) There are several different sandalwoods and I don't know which one she uses for me.
2) I think this is all mixed in a one ounce bottle, but I am not sure; again, she doesn't have it marked.

Here is a second recipe:
1oz Avocado oil
4 drops lavender
4 drops R. Chamomile
2 drops grapefruit
2 drops tea tree

bay rum:

75 ml ethyl alcohol
25 ml water
1/2 tsp. glycerin
20-25 drops bay essential oil

TOILET WATERS
From HYPERLINK "http://www.luckymojo.com/""The Ancient Book of Formulas" by Lewis de Claremont comes this basic information on how to distinguish perfumes, colognes, and toilet waters based on their relative percentages of essential oils, alcohol, and water:
All perfumes contain alcohol to varying degrees. Most
important perfumes contain 2 to 3 ounces of oils per pint
of alcohol. Most domestic [cheaper] perfumes [and Colognes]
contain 1 to 3 ounces of oils per pint of alcohol.

However the amounts of essential oil or concentration is
determined solely by taste and price.

Toilet waters are just weak perfumes, generally containing 1
to 6 ounces of essential oil per gallon of alcohol. However
10% to 25% water is usually added according to the amount of
essential oils contained therein.
ALCOHOL USED IN PERFUMERY
From Hiscox and Sloane's "Fortunes in Formulas" comes this basic information on the proper type of alcohol to use in perfumery:
The alcohol used should be that obtained from the
distillation of wine, provided a first-class article
is desired. It is possible, of course, to make a good
Cologne with very highly rectified and deodorized corn
or potato spirits, but the product never equals that
made from wine spirits. Possibly the reason for this
lies in the fact that the latter always contains a
varying amount of oenanthic ether.
COLOURING
It is traditional to dye Florida Water a pale aqua-green and Kananga Water a pale orange. These dyes are not necessary to the formulas, but if you intend to show the results of your experiments to others, their use will greatly enhance viewer recognition.
INCORPORATING GRAIN MUSK AND CIVET IN LIQUID PERFUMES
The formulas for Kananga perfumes below contain grain musk and/or civet. Hiscox and Sloane's "Fortunes in Formulas" provides the following basic information on the proper formulation of such ingredients in liquid perfumes:
When grain musk is used as an ingredient in liquid
perfumes, first rub down with pumice stone, then digest
in hot water for 2 or 3 hours; finally add to alcohol.
The addition of 2 or 3 minims of acetic acid will improve
the odor and also prevent accumulation of NH3. Civet
should be thoroughly rubbed down with some coarse powder
and added directly to alcohol.
FLORIDA WATER #1
oil of bergamot 3 fluid ounces
oil of lavender 1 fluid ounce
oil of lemon 1 fluid ounce
oil of cloves 1 1/4 fluid drachms
oil of cinnamon 2 1/2 fluid drachms
oil of neroli 1/2 fluid drachms
essence of jasmine 6 fluid ounces
essence of musk 2 fluid ounces
alcohol 8 pints
rose water 1 pint

Mix and, if cloudy, filter through
magnesium carbonate.
-- From "Fortunes in Formulas For Home, Farm, and Workshop" &#8232;edited by Garner D. Hiscox, M.E. and &#8232;Prof. T. O'Conner Sloane, A.B., A.M., Em., Ph.D. &#8232;(The Norman B. Henley Publishing Company, 1937)
FLORIDA WATER #2

oil of bergamot 3 fluid ounces
oil of lemon 1 fluid ounce
oil of ylang ylang 1 fluid ounce
oil of lavender 1/2 fluid ounce
oil of cinnamon 20 drops
oil of cloves 12 drops
oil of neroli 10 drops
alcohol 1 gallon
rose water 1 pint
(or distilled water plus light rose scent)
-- From my own personal notes, circa 1973, source &#8232;not attributed but apparently adapted from an old &#8232;formulary to use what i had on hand at the time.
YLANG YLANG PERFUME (Basis for KANANGA WATER #1)

oil of ylang ylang 10 minims
oil of neroli 5 minims
oil of rose 5 minims
oil of bergamot 3 minims
alcohol 10 oz.

One grain of musk may be added

Dilute with distilled water to make a toilet water.
-- From "Manual of Formulas, Recipes, Methods, and Secret Processes" &#8232;edited by Raymond B. Wailes, B.S. &#8232;(Popular Science Publishing Co., New York, 1932)
BOUQUET CANANG (Basis for KANANGA WATER #2)

ylang ylang oil 45 minims
rose oil 15 minims
cassie oil 5 minims
almond oil 1/2 minims
tincture of orris rhizome 1 fluid ounce
tincture of storax 3 fluid drachms
grain musk 3 grains
civet 1 grain
tonka beans 3 (chopped)
alcohol (90%) 9 fluid ounces

Mix, and digest one month, then filter. The
above is a very delicious perfume.

N.B. Cassie oil, also called cassie otto, is
derived from the flowers of Acacia farnesiana,
a.k.a. Mimosa farnesiana, L. (N.O. Leguminosae,
sub-order Mimoseae). It must not be confounded
with cassia otto, the essential oil obtained
from Cinnamomum cassia.
-- From "Fortunes in Formulas For Home, Farm, and Workshop" &#8232;edited by Garner D. Hiscox, M.E. and &#8232;Prof. T. O'Conner Sloane, A.B., A.M., Eum., ph.D. &#8232;(The Norman B. Henley Publishing Company, 1937)
EXTRAIT D'YLANG-YLANG (Basis for KANANGA WATER #3)
Essence d'ylang-ylang 24 grammes
Isoeugenol 4 grammes
Methyl-isoeugenol 2 grammes
Alcohol a 90 [degree symbol] pour 1 litre
-- From HYPERLINK "http://www.luckymojo.com/esoteric/occultism/magic/spells/ancientbookformulas.html""The Ancient Book of Formulas"
by Lewis de Claremont
(Oracle Products Corporation, New York, 1940)
Note: Bouquet Canang, Kananga Perfume, and Extrait d'Ylang-Ylang are strong perfumes and as such may be diluted with 10% to 25% distilled water as outlined above to make them into Kananga Water.

Florida Water
Florida Water is a staple for many of the religious ceremonies of Afro/Latino religious expressions or sects. Basically, it is cologne used for spiritual services, purification, cleansing, healing, jinx-breaking, protection from enemies, tranquility, peaceful home, dealing with the dead, safe travel, and psychism.
Florida Water is a 19th century formula for a commercially-prepared eau de toilet that blends an array of floral essential oils in a water-alcohol base. The name refers to the fabled Fountain of Youth said to have been located in Florida.
I prefer to buy the ones at stores, without saying a specific brand. But I found a formula to prepare this spiritual water from "Fortunes in Formulas For Home, Farm, and Workshop" edited by Garner D. Hiscox, M.E. and Prof. T. O'Conner Sloane, A.B., A.M., Em., Ph.D. (The Norman B. Henley Publishing Company, 1937):
- Oil of bergamot 3 fluid ounces&#8232;- Oil of lavender 1 fluid ounce&#8232;- Oil of lemon 1 fluid ounce&#8232;- Oil of cloves 1 1/4 fluid drachms&#8232;- Oil of cinnamon 2 1/2 fluid drachms&#8232;- Oil of neroli 1/2 fluid drachms&#8232;- Essence of jasmine 6 fluid ounces&#8232;- Essence of musk 2 fluid ounces&#8232;- Alcohol 8 pints&#8232;- Rose water 1 pint
Mix and pass it through a soft filter.
Kananga Water
Also a 19th century eau de toilet, Kananga Water is used for psychism, purification, and dealing with the dead. In Jamaica and the Caribbean, the Kananga water is known after the huge commercial Kananga plantations were established during the 19th century by the British colony.
The Kananga Water is built upon a foundation of essential oil of Cananga Odorata, also known as Ylang Ylang. It flowers consist of six narrow, twisted, drooping 3 - 4" long petals. And the orange color of this spiritual water comes from its greenish yellow and orange petals.
The home made formula for this spiritual water comes from the same author lines above:
- Ylang Ylang oil 45 minims&#8232;- Rose oil 15 minims&#8232;- Cassie oil 5 minims&#8232;- Almond oil 1/2 minims&#8232;- Tincture of orris rhizome 1 fluid ounce&#8232;- Tincture of storax 3 fluid drachms&#8232;- Grain musk 3 grains&#8232;- Civet 1 grain&#8232;- Tonka beans 3 (chopped)&#8232;- Alcohol (90%) 9 fluid ounces
Mix, and let sit for one month, then filter.

I just took an old quart mason jar and packed it full of Bay leaves [note: DON'T buy them at your local supermarket - you'll end up spending a wad - my wife is Thai, so we do a lot of shopping in the Asian markets - I picked up a big bag for a couple of bucks] and poured a fifth of 151 Rum (I figured I wanted the increased alcohol content). I also added about 5-10 cloves, a stick of cinnamon and a couple of twists of orange peel - I sealed her up tight and set it on the window sill in the sun to let it cook up for about three weeks - I would mix and shake it once a day - I'm well pleased with the scent, however, I do notice just a bit of a sticky residue - nothing too bad

50ml 100% aloe gel
1 teaspoon sweet almond oil
1 teaspoon marigold oil

that's it. You can put a few drops of essential oil in it for smell and good skin properties, but do a research a bit, not every oil is benefitial to the skin, and some of them are qute harmfull... I use ylangylang, lavander, jasmine...e.t.c.

- 50ml Alcohol (Ethanol), here in Germany for tax reasons I use "Cosmetic Basic Water", but you could use pure Ethanol as well
- 30ml Witch Hazel Exctract
- 3-5 Drops of Glycerin
- a small amount of Allantoin (2-3 x of what fits on the tip of a knife, don't know the english term :) )
- 5-10 Drops of Alpha-Bisalbolol (this is the main Camomile-Ingredient)
- Essential Oils for scent, what I use is 10 Drops of Bay-Oil (Bay Rum) and 5-7 Drops of Lemongrass
This give to me a very soothing and relaxing aftershave, and as my skin somehow cannot cope with balms I go for the alcohol-based version

-2 drops of pepperming EO
-2 drops of eucaliptus EO
-1tsp of almond oil with vitamin E as a preservative (which is also helpful in an AS)
-40ml of Aloe Vera gel
-80ml of that herbal (mint/sage/chamomile) alcohol

I make my own as well. My Bay Rum is as follows:
6 oz. 100 proof Schmirrnoff No 57 Vodka (taking a sip or 2 first to make sure it hasn't gone bad)
1 oz. distilled or filtered water
1 TBSP Witch Hazel
1 TBSP Aloe Vera Gel
8 drops Squaline (a wonderful skin conditioner and rejuvenator. See below)
8 drops Bay Rum Oil (a blend of essential oils from the Chemistry Store, online)
2 drops Lime Essential Oil (ditto)
Mix all ingredients and shake well. Use liberally anywhere, anytime.
Check out the ingredeints and recipes at www.chemistrystore.com.

DIY Aftershave
I've got a couple of recipes for aftershave splash. I've tried the first one, and it seems to work for me so far. The second one is still setting up. I wanted to get a few opinions and/or more recipes if anybody has either.

Recipe one:
1/8 Cup Absinthe (73% ABV)
1/3 Cup Vodka (40% ABV)
1/4 Cup Witch Hazel (Drug store 14% Alcohol variety)
1-2 Tablespoons Glycerin

Mix all ingredients thoroughly and bottle.

Recipe two:
1/2 Cup Black Rum (40% ABV)
1/4 Cup Witch Hazel (Drug store 14% Alcohol variety)
1 Tablespoon Glycerin
1 Pinch Alum
2-3 Bay Leaves
1 Tablespoon Whole Cloves
1/2 Teaspoon ground Allspice

Mix liquids and alum thoroughly, add spices, let sit for 10 days, strain with coffee filter or fine wire mesh, and bottle.

Ive just made 4 batches of this,

Shulton old spice, Clubman, Pinaud Bay rum and Aqua Velva. I just put a couple of splashes into the mix.

I only used Pure aloe Gel, distilled witch hazel and the aftershave, no glycerin. I need something like this to clear up the dry skin on my face and i don't like using thick creams.

The scents are mild, but you don't want them over powering like the actual splash or cologne! You can tell the difference in scent between each batch though. I left a pot on the sideboard and the other half asked what it was, I said it was my contribution to the sperm bank :lol:

I've been using a mix of this for a few days now made using the typical off the shelf aloe gel. It's excellent stuff, and my skin condition is the best its ever been. I've hardly seen any of the skin irritation I usually have the following day. I put lot of it on after shaving and my face feels better than when I was using aqua velva or nivea. It moisturizes well and has a nice cooling sensation on any razor burn. Likely the best shaving tip I've gotten from B&B forums!

I found something similar to the OP on Pinterest. I use:

1/4 cup Witch Hazel
1/4 cup Aloe Vera Gel
2 drops Rosemary Oil
1 tbsp grape seed oil

As the base. I bought a bunch of essential oils off eBay and use them for the fragrance. I've pretty much stopped using my store bought AS because of it. I have a peppermint menthol concoction that's just fantastic for this time of year.

Top Bottom