What's new

Make Your Own After Shave Balm - Modelled on Castle Forbes Lime

I think the color was mostly the Shea butter for me, along with some serious whipping in the blender.

I love the recipes, but I'm wondering where to find small brown sprinkler top type bottles?

I really don't have any just laying around, I couldn't find any with a search on amazon or eBay, and the local natural food market people had many bottle types, but none with a sprinkler top.

ideas?

thanks!

-Rob

I've mixed up a concoction a lot like this. Only difference was a different scent and a bit more glycerin - not a lot, but more than 1 tsp I might try to use a bit of alcohol instead of water to thin it down. I actually like a little alcohol feel and I keep thinking it woud act better as a preservative than water.

A question to consider. If I'm not mistaken, isn't lime EO phototoxic? Meaning its bad for your skin if it's on and exposed to sunlight? Does anyone know about this?

I like these recipe and discussed modifications, and I know I'll be trying some variation on it very soon!

I love the recipes, but I'm wondering where to find small brown sprinkler top type bottles?

I really don't have any just laying around, I couldn't find any with a search on amazon or eBay, and the local natural food market people had many bottle types, but none with a sprinkler top.

ideas?

thanks!

-Rob

can you post a picture of a sprinkler top? I'm not sure what you're looking for.

I added a little Vaseline moisture locking lotion and it made a great balm perfect. My face felt the best after any shave it's ever felt since I started wet shaving.

I've been making and using my own balm for a few months now using the OP/Leisureguy's recipe and method (without the glycerin). I just add the WH + aloe vera gel to a small bottle and shake for all I'm worth then slowly start adding the essential oil and shaking each time until I get the desired fragrance. also, you can just mix these two ingredients in a small bottle and drop a few dollops into your palm then add 3 or 4 drops of EO and mix with a finger before applying to your freshly shave face/neck/head - works great!

I have made the following:
orange
lime
vanilla
menthol
eucalyptus (can add these last two together also for an exceptionally refreshing aftershave balm)

these essential oils also work well in your lather bowl. I especially like menthol + eucalyptus for a homemade proraso lather.

I've been using this recipe for a while now. When I can't decide on an AS, I reach for this. I keep it in an empty Lucky Tiger bottle. This also makes a great daily facial moisturizer!

Would there be any issue with just adding a drop or two of an essential oil to a normal amount of an ASB like say Nivea unscented and applying directly to the face?

Would there be any issue with just adding a drop or two of an essential oil to a normal amount of an ASB like say Nivea unscented and applying directly to the face?

Most of the reading I've done on essential oils says to keep them at about a 1 to 2% concentration with your carrier oils. Some of them are pretty strong and need to be heavily diluted to prevent problems. There are very few of them that are cleared to be attempted at high concentration and that was even with a lot of caution. I'm no expert by any means, just started messing with them myself, but do some reading before you start going with a drop or 2 of EO with a few drops of ASB. Read up on the carrier oils and find the one that matches your skin or blend several together. They are cheap to buy and you can build exactly what works for you!

I mix a small batch at a time for my balm. 2 tsp grape seed oil, and 1 tsp each of jojoba and sweet almond oil. 10 drops of essential oils is more than enough. I use the same oil blend unscented as my pre shave oil and it rocks! Last week I made a balm and used the same EO blend that I use in my bay rum. I hated it when I used a great smelling bay rum and then masked it with someone else's balm. Now my shave goes like this: shave, rinse, alum, rinse, splash my home made bay rum and follow it up with my matching balm. Baby soft all day and no greasy buildup by the afternoon any more!! My wife noticed the difference and has me making her her own blends as well.

Most of the reading I've done on essential oils says to keep them at about a 1 to 2% concentration with your carrier oils. Some of them are pretty strong and need to be heavily diluted to prevent problems. There are very few of them that are cleared to be attempted at high concentration and that was even with a lot of caution. I'm no expert by any means, just started messing with them myself, but do some reading before you start going with a drop or 2 of EO with a few drops of ASB. Read up on the carrier oils and find the one that matches your skin or blend several together. They are cheap to buy and you can build exactly what works for you!

I mix a small batch at a time for my balm. 2 tsp grape seed oil, and 1 tsp each of jojoba and sweet almond oil. 10 drops of essential oils is more than enough. I use the same oil blend unscented as my pre shave oil and it rocks! Last week I made a balm and used the same EO blend that I use in my bay rum. I hated it when I used a great smelling bay rum and then masked it with someone else's balm. Now my shave goes like this: shave, rinse, alum, rinse, splash my home made bay rum and follow it up with my matching balm. Baby soft all day and no greasy buildup by the afternoon any more!! My wife noticed the difference and has me making her her own blends as well.

Cool, thanks!

Just did this recipe with ginger essential oil- that was the only one I had on hand and the local stores didn't carry lime. I used a little glycerine and no water.

The consistency is outstanding- almost exactly like Baxter's of California. A nice light gel that goes on very cool. I like it a lot.

Just wanted to say that I made this today. My measurements were:

1/4 cup T.N Dickson's witch hazel
1/4 cup Aloe Vera gel
2 teaspoons glycerin
7 drops lime essential oil

I put all of those ingredients in a sealable container and just shook the heck out of it. It will go from clear to a slightly white opaque color. This is a VERY light balm. Far more liquidity than I was expecting but slightly more than a splash. I felt no need to add water. It dried down quick and felt smooth and not heavy at all. Slightly cooling as well. It feels light it could be great for the summer. My only concern is I think I might need to add more essential oil. You can smell it in the container when you take the top off but I can't even smell it on my hands after it dries.

Unless I'm missing something, the way people talked you needed to be cautious of EO and yet 7 drops was basically nothing. Anyone got advice for that part of it? Everything else was great and I really like the feel of it.

A question to consider. If I'm not mistaken, isn't lime EO phototoxic? Meaning its bad for your skin if it's on and exposed to sunlight? Does anyone know about this?

I like these recipe and discussed modifications, and I know I'll be trying some variation on it very soon!

Not phototoxic, but known to cause photoallergic reactions, as all other citrus EOs. These oils when used in perfumery, are further processed to remove photoallergens. The ones you buy from health stores, that are intended for aroma therapy or blending with carrier oils, most probably are not perfumery grade, and thus are not intended to be used in stay-on skin products. Citrus EOs are also very rich of limonene (70-95 %) which is a known allergen.

This is a great post. I'm glad I stumbled onto it. Does anyone have any updates?

I mix a small batch at a time for my balm. 2 tsp grape seed oil, and 1 tsp each of jojoba and sweet almond oil. 10 drops of essential oils is more than enough.

Hey Moondoogie. Thanks for sharing. So you just use these blended oils as an aftershave balm? No aloe? No WH? No glycerin? I'm very interested. Have you every tried using Rose Hip Oil?

Last week I made a balm and used the same EO blend that I use in my bay rum. I hated it when I used a great smelling bay rum and then masked it with someone else's balm.

Are you willing to share your Bay Rum recipe?! :)

Wow, I have all of the ingredients on hand already. Going to give the lime AS a shot.

BTW, there should be no worries about phototoxicity in dilutions of lime EO these tiny quantities, unless you have an allergy.

I have now sampled the Castle Forbes ASB and I have to say that this recipe seems pretty identical to me in terms of texture, colour and moisturising properties. The scent is marginally different, but I'm guessing the lime used by a professional perfumer is of better quality than the stuff I get at the chemist. Considering the price differential this recipe is the way to go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom