What's new

DE blade testing diary.

Yesterday after about two years of DE shaving experience with various locally available blades here in the Netherlands I received my first online blade purchase. Now I have a good selection of blades to choose from I want to test them by changing blades after each shave so I can compare shave one with blade A to shave one with blade B and so on. In this thread I intend to document my experiences and share them with you.

I will share some information about my shaving habits and beard and skin characteristics. As I mentioned above I am DE shaving for about two years. The razors I have used are all Gillettes namely the Tech, New, flare tip Super Speed, Rocket HD, Slim adjustable and a G1000. Of these the Tech is the razor I have used the most. I have a beard preparation that many would find strange, I soak my entire face in a plastic tub filled with warm water. For me this is convenient because I shave before I take a shower and I find it a very easy way to hydrate my beard. I almost always face lather. Most of my shaves are two pass shaves with some touch up. My beard is moderately dense and the individual hairs are on the thicker side.

The blades I will be testing are:

Racer Super Stainless Double Edge Razor Blades
Astra Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades
Shark double edge razor blades
Supermax super platinum double edge razor blades
Perma-Sharp double edge razor blades
Supermax blue diamond double edge razor blades
Bic Chrome Platinum De Razor blades
Rapira Double Edge Razor Blades
Astra Superior Double Edge Razor Blade
Asco double edge razor blades
Gillette goal blades
Supermax stainless blades
HEMA blades
Derby extra blades

At first I will describe how they performed for me shave by shave and when I have retired all the tested blades I will review them as well. To have some consistency in testing I will be using my Aluminum handled Tech for each shave.

The first blade I tested was the Racer super stainless.

Blade: Racer super stainless
Brush: New forest 2211
Razor: Gillette Aluminum Tech

I have mixed feelings about the shave. What I noticed clearly is that it is not very sharp. It tugged a bit and the shave was not very close. On a more positive note, I did not have any skin irritation which is rare for me on my first shave with blades. I find it similar to the Supermax stainess in that way and think it is on par with it. Compared to the Gillette Goal which is my favorite blade because of a good balance of sharpness and smoothness it falls short.

Please keep in mind that YMMV when it comes to DE blades. This is something I am quite aware of and that is why I insist that the way I describe a blade MUST be taken with a bag of salt.

I have a similar impression of Racer. Found it at a local drugstore and scarfed it up, hoping it would be a great find. Two shaves max with it. Eventually I'll use them up, but I'm in no hurry to do so.

Looks like you've got quite a variety. Enjoy your experimenting!

I have a similar impression of Racer. Found it at a local drugstore and scarfed it up, hoping it would be a great find. Two shaves max with it. Eventually I'll use them up, but I'm in no hurry to do so.

Looks like you've got quite a variety. Enjoy your experimenting!

It can be quite annoying to have to finish blades you do not like I think. I have to do that with my HEMA, Supermax stainless and now maybe also with the Racer blades. I have more blades that are also from the Egyptian blade factory that I have not tried and I sure hope they are different.

Luckily for me I tried a Astra superior stainless blade today that worked really well for me.

Blade: Astra superior stainless(0)
Razor: Gillette aluminum ball end Tech
Soap : Palmolive(Euro)
Brush: Simpsons x1

This blade performed great in my Tech. It cut through the stubble with ease while not leaving my skin with any irritation which is rare for me when I use a blade for the first time. I did cut myself on the part of my face between the chin and the bottom lip but this is standard for me when I use a blade this sharp. All in all I think this blade has a great combination off sharpness and mildness on my skin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Life's too short to use blades that aren't excellent (unless you're testing them). PIF them, toss them out, or try them in a new razor at some other time, but there's no reason to put up with lesser blades.

Get some Lord Platinum blades (if you don't have any already) and give them a try. I've been using them this week and have been very impressed, especially considering that they're only about $10USD per 100. I'm trying the Super Chromes next.

Also, there are quite a few who like the Shark Super Chrome blades, also made by Lord.

Today the Perma sharp super was up for being tested by me for the first time. But first I have to share an unusual experience I had with the Astra superior stainless when changing blades. After unscrewing my Gillette Tech the base plate was stuck to the blade and top plate. It took some careful pulling and twisting to get it loose. But the razor was still stuck to the top plate and bend along the curve of it. So after again some degrading manual labor of pulling and twisting it loose, I finally saw what the reason was of all this. Four large but especially also thick glue spots on the corners of the blade. I have not seen this before.

What I have to mention is that I am not sure that the cause of the bottom plate being stuck to the blade is because of the Astra SS blade because there where only glue spots on the side that was stuck to the top plate. So this may very well be because of leftover glue from a previous blade.

But back or forward if you like to the Perma sharp super.

Blade: Perma sharp super(0)
Razor: Gillette aluminum handled Tech
Brush: Semogue LE 2010
Soap: Arko

Because I did not shave yesterday I had two days worth of beard growth. A little bit of tugging was experienced the first pass. Second pass went through the remaining stubble smoothly. I did not find the blade sharp but also not dull by any means. The end result was a nice close shave with only minor irritation at my chin.

I did not shave for three days in a row and usually I use my Gillette long comb New when I have skipped shaving for two or more days. But since I am testing blades I want to change as few variables as possible. I shaved with my Gillette aluminum handled Tech which I will be using for all blade tests. To be 100 percent objective in testing I should make sure that the time between my shaves is the same off course. Please forgive me :001_tt2:.

Blade: Shark super stainless(0)
Brush: Omega pro 49

Usually I do not skip shaving for three days in a row. And because of that it is very hard to compare the blade. It took me three passes plus some touching up to have a reasonably smooth face. I did not experience it as sharp. I have had no irritation beside a small cut between the bottom lip and chin that I get often when I use a new blade. I think I might have a small pimple there.

I find that the Racer for me really shines in aggressive razors like a Mergress and Slant. I never tried it in a mild razor.

I have a similar experience in that in general I find that milder blades work well for me in aggressive razors and the Racer I find quite mild.

To my delight I was really impressed for the first time by a blade, I hope that I will test blades after this one namely the Bic chrome platinum that will work as well for me or even better. But if that will not be the case this blade made all this blade testing worth while.

Blade: Bic chrome platinum
Razor: Gillette Aluminum Tech
Soap: Speick

To start of with a caveat. This shave that was really great came right after a shave that came after three non shaving days. So that contrast may account for me experiencing this as my best shave ever. The stubble came of very easily and I got a nice close shave. I had minor irritation on and around my chin.

Also, there are quite a few who like the Shark Super Chrome blades, also made by Lord.

When I scored 300 of the Shark Stainless (I find the two work equally well; many of us do) they were only US 7¢ apiece, delivered from Turkey to my door in New Jersey. The buy of the century for a reliably comfortable blade that works well out of its weight class.

Lord-Sotraco has got it down. I hope they keep it up!

Blade: Supermax super platinum(0)
Razor: Gillette aluminum Tech

Today I was impressed again. This blade cut through my stubble with ease, the shave was close although not as close as yesterdays shave with the Bic chrome platinum. Quite sharp but not the sharpest blade I tried so far. No irritation. This blade seems to be a good compromise between sharpness and mildness for me.

Blade: HEMA(0)
Brush: Simpsons commodore x1
Soap: Monsavon

Today I used a blade I have used before. The HEMA blade got its name from the Dutch warehouse HEMA where it is sold. I have read here on B&B that it is made in Israel by Personna. It has been a long time since I last used this blade because I remembered it as a poor one. It tugged/pulled more then any other blade. I even remember it getting stuck often on its first shave on my beard. The shave I have gotten today was much better. Probably because my technique has improved. Still out of all the blades I tested so far this one was the dullest and the one that tugged the most. After two passes plus some touching up my shave was not close but still perfectly acceptable. I had irritation around my chin and on my cheeks.

Blade: Asco super stainless(0) (red and blue box)
Brush: Omega 49

Today I used my beloved Omega 49 with a shaving stick which I normally do not do. After applying several layers of soap with the Speick shaving stick I whipped up a great creamy lather with it. The shave went well. I found the Asco super stainless to be not very sharp. I noticed some tugging but got a acceptable shave. I did not get any irritation or cuts.

If I remember correctly this blade seems very similar to the other blades I tested from the Egyptian razor blade factory which where the Racer and the Shark super stainless.

Blade: Supermax stainless(0)

The Supermax stainless which comes in blue packaging with Supermax super stainless printed on it should not be mistaken for its super counterpart. I have also shaved with the super stainless(which comes in a green/yellow) and that one is quite a bit sharper.

This blade is the blade I have used the most. Mainly because it is one of the few DE blades available in brick and mortar stores here in the Netherlands. I have always been able to get decent shaves from it but found it on the dull side. Today's shave went as I expected. On the first pass I had some noticeable tugging. The seconds pass was smoother. After some touching up I had a good shave without any irritation or cuts.

Blade: Astra superior platinum
Brush: Simpsons commodore x1

I was extra curious about this blade because it is so well liked by many of us. The lather was lacking a bit because underestimated the amount of soap that was needed. The shave went well despite this. I did not experience it as very sharp. I noticed a little bit of drag. After two passes and some touch up I had a surprisingly close shave without any irritation or cuts.

Blade: Gillette goal
Brush: Semogue LE 2010
Cream: Palmolive

This blade is one of the blades I have used before. And was my favorite before I started the blade testing round. Using it today only confirmed the opinion I had formed from using it previously. It cut smoothly through the stubble and after two passes and some touching up I had a close shave without any irritation or cuts. So far this blade has only been surpassed by the Bic chrome platinum which really impressed me.

I find that the Racer for me really shines in aggressive razors like a Mergress and Slant. I never tried it in a mild razor.

I regularly use Racer in my R41 (or did as I'm trying others at the moment). I find it a very nice combo. I do find the blade a little too mild in my EJ DE86 though and first time used it doubted I would get a 3rd shave from it but I do now after getting a better technique.

It's my go to 'comfortable' blade.

Blade: Asco super stainless(0) (red and blue box)
Brush: Omega 49

Today I used my beloved Omega 49 with a shaving stick which I normally do not do. After applying several layers of soap with the Speick shaving stick I whipped up a great creamy lather with it. The shave went well. I found the Asco super stainless to be not very sharp. I noticed some tugging but got a acceptable shave. I did not get any irritation or cuts.

If I remember correctly this blade seems very similar to the other blades I tested from the Egyptian razor blade factory which where the Racer and the Shark super stainless.

I've tried the Asco orange boxed ones and find them very similar to Racer, very comfortable. I quite like these ones, as I do the Racer

Great write ups by the way, very interesting in reading your findings.

Blade: Supermax blue diamond

This blade cut through my stubble easily. I did not get any irritation or cuts. The end result was acceptable although it seems that the shave was not as close as most shaves I had since I started testing.

Top Bottom