What's new

Merkur 34C HD vs. EJ DE89

I have both these razors. After a few weeks I've come to the conclusion that I get a better shave from the Merkur. However, when comparing the heads against each other, in reality they appear to be almost identical. What am I missing?

The handle length is longer on the Jagger. The Merkur is easier to maintain angles for me with the shorter handle.

I reckon there's slightly more blade exposure on the HD and as such it's slightly more aggressive. I personally find the EJ more comfortable and I have nicked myself less with it than the Merkur. However, both sit squarely in my regular rotation and are excellent.

they are both really good razors. probably the two most popular razors sold today- and there is a reason for that!

I have both these razors. After a few weeks I've come to the conclusion that I get a better shave from the Merkur. However, when comparing the heads against each other, in reality they appear to be almost identical. What am I missing?
The heads may look similar but they're not the same. Now, the DE89 and R89, on the other hand, do have the same head (literally).

Every time I convince myself that I'm happy with my EJ DE89, a thread like this pops up and I get curious again about the Merkur HD.

I really wonder if I need to own both.

Perhaps I can wait a bit longer to see if one pops up on B/S/T.

Then again, I do get free 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime....

RAD, you are indeed a harsh mistress!

Nick

I used a DE89 and thought it was great until I tried a 34C.

I have a feeling that this thread will result in my ordering a 34C by tomorrow. I've been on the fence for a while now.

It's not like I ever look to B&B to really talk me out of buying anything shaving-related anyway.

Nick

I've been thinking about buying a slant for long time but I'm not sure if it's suitable for daily use and sensitive skin.

I find that it is suitable for daily use with good technique. If your technique slips, it can bite you.
In my experience the slant is more efficient than aggressive.

Every time I convince myself that I'm happy with my EJ DE89, a thread like this pops up and I get curious again about the Merkur HD.

Nick

I have 34c and it's great. I think that you need one.

I do not have those specific razors, but I do have what are widely believed equivalents, e.g., the 38C (equiv to 34C head) and the R89 (equiv to de89). I have rarely used the 38C since I got my R89, so my perspective is clearly distinct from yours. However, the R89 is significantly smoother/milder than the 38C, at least in my hands. One has to consider the limitations of the naked eye in assessing blade angle as it emerges from the head of the razor; the proximity of the edge of the blade to the safety bar could effect how stretched the skin is when the blade is about to cut; the amount of play the blade possesses at its edges, etc. These and other factors could make very similar looking razors function differently.

Nick

If it means anything, you've got the right one. If I were a young man like you, I'd check out a 39C or a Progress to see Merkur's best and most creative products.

While both are excellent razors, IMHO it all comes down to your own personal preference. I'll take the Merkur anyday, that's my preference, and I'm sure there are many who disagree.

Both are very good and smooth. The Merkur is slightly more aggressive giving you a slightly closer shave. The EJ feels a little smoother. I think the plating is better with the EJ, and with the longer handle, I would give the EJ the edge.

Top Bottom