What's new

Help with broken Toggle adjustment dial

I enjoyed reading your post about adjustables, lot of good stuff in there, but think you may wish to look a bit closer at the D-1/F-4 (Red Dot and Toggle razors) if this is to be added to the wiki, then please note that the blade is not adjusted up and down. The doors bend, shape and clamp the blade to a plate that has a fixed height. It is the safety bars that are adjusted up and down.

I will have a look when I get back home later and revise it as needed. Thanks for the info...........the great thing about this place is we all have something to pass on to other members....
Steve

Hey guys, the razor has been soaking for a couple of days now. Some crud has fallen out of it, but the mechanism is still functioning the same. Dial spins, but the adjusting is happening.

Have you tried a pipe cleaner? If you can get it under the adjustment plate and gently rub out the gunk.

Also if you open the toggle and turn the dial to 1 you can try and gently move the adjustment plate up and down. Place your thumbs under the adjustment plate and your pointer and middle fingers inside the blade compartment from the endcaps. Your model should have four points like a fatboy that should raise and lower when adjusted. That's where your fingers should apply persuasion.

This has worked for me with jammed fatboys. I've also had some luck with warm water and a water pick. It's a little messy, but it persuades the gunk out of the space you can't get to.

If you try it gently, you can try a small screwdriver with a little electrical tape on it to prevent scratching, and try to wiggle the adjustment plate free a little at a time around at several spots.

You can't go wrong with more soaking over and over.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, after a couple weeks of hot/cold cycles with soapy water the Toggle is slowing coming back to life and can adjust between 3.5 and 5 now!

Hey guys, the razor has been soaking for a couple of days now. Some crud has fallen out of it, but the mechanism is still functioning the same. Dial spins, but the adjusting is happening.

More soaking and a pipe cleaner it will be then!

For anyone interested, after a couple weeks of hot/cold cycles with soapy water the Toggle is slowing coming back to life and can adjust between 3.5 and 5 now!

Thanks for hanging in there and taking the time to "unfreeze" it with care. As far as we know, at this time, this model was the first Gillette dial adjustable.

Top Bottom