What's new

Southpaw attempting to shave the neck

Hey all,
So after browsing the enormous SoWa antique mall here in Boston a few times and seeing straight razors, I sprung for an olivewood-scaled Dovo a few weeks back. Sadly I was out of town immediately following receiving it in the mail, so I didn't get to try it out right away (probably for the best, as I was visiting my lady friend and the resulting first shave left me looking like a shanking victim).
So far, I've gotten the hang of a basic, with-the-grain, straight-down pass, all with my left hand. Having a cleft chin complicated matters, but I'm getting there. Now I'm starting to attempt across-the-grain passes, and it's not pretty. Everything above the jaw goes well, but down below...not so much. I've still yet to entirely determine the grain pattern on my neck.
My standard DE routine is to do two diagonal passes - bottom of the ear to adams apple, and bottom of chin to, well, down below my ear. This seems to be beyond my level of dexterity with a straight, and going straight up to the chin was a disaster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4705yIVe2s
This gentleman's demo is what I have been using for reference. Being mildly dyslexic, spatial orientation is not my strong suit, so trying to translate which hand he is using, mirror it, and then switch it up for my left hand gives me a headache.
Why am I shaving with only one hand, you ask? I'm really, terribly unsteady with my right.

Thanks for any and all help! Despite all the blood, I'm having fun with this.

Time n patience is needed to master a straight...took me 2 months to completely shave my face WITH my DE when I started over 2 yrs ago

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Lefties and righties share the same problem, i.e., shaving the other side of your face. Not only am I left handed, I may be the most left handed person alive, but I was ultimately able to learn to use my right hand.

Since you specifically mentioned your neck, using only your left hand, try shaving the left side of your neck N-S and the right side of your neck S-N. When you flip the razor upside down, it's much easier to shave the opposite side of your face upwards. When you use two hands, you can also overlap a bit (shave downward past the centerline of your face, hitting some of the right side, at least past the right edge of your lips). That leaves less to shave downwards with your right hand. Similarly, shave the entire right side of you neck upwards, covering as much real estate as you comfortably can on the left side of your neck.

In other words:
Shave the left side of your face N-S with your left hand, covering as much of your right side as you can.
Shave the remainder of your right side N-S with your right hand.
Shave the right side of your neck S-N with your left hand, covering as much of your left side as you can.
Finish shaving the left side of your neck S-N with your right hand.

This technique will allow you to start on the easy parts (eg: it's easier to shave N-S with your right hand near your ear than your nose) and then gradually spread out as you gain confidence. I find I can now shave just as well with either hand, particularly in the S-N direction, something I would have never thought possible.

Last edited:
Using that "odd" hand while straight shaving is going to take some time to get the technique down. I know it took me quite a bit of time, but all at once things will just seem to fall into place. Be sure to do only the easy parts of your face at first, and only go with a WTG stroke. As you get better you'll be able to move on to other parts of your face. Also be sure to use no pressure at all. That may be the hardest thing to get down.

Ditto on Ouch.

I am hardcore right-side dominant. Writing, music, shooting, and shaving.
Shaving with carts or DE, I'm 100% right hand.
In many of my activities, my left hand is just a lump.

Straight shaving, I am completely ambidextrous. I tried right-only and I wasn't working.

Right hand, right side N-S to just beyond center.
Left hand, left side N-S to just beyond center.
Right hand, left side S-N to just beyond center.
Left hand, right side S-N to just beyond center.

Buffing touchups as needed.

Top Bottom