What's new

The Emperor 3 in Two Band - wow!

So first I was a bit skeptical about what had just arrived in my mail: a E3 Two Band. Beautiful handle, great size for both face and bowl lathering, knot size within tolerance (22mm vs 23mm spec) buy then that LOFT :scared: of 54mm!!!!! I was not sure if that would make it a moppy experience...:crying:

So I was a bit nervous when I gave her a ride this morning with Acca Kappa 1869 (I thought I save the hard soaps for later)....

An then it was just amazing: the two band hair give her great backbone, medium density and loft size make for great flow through and then those SOOOFT TIPS :001_tt1: ... a cloud like massage on your face when lathering up in circular motion.... Amazing!

I have read often that Simpson Two Band hair is scritchy... As I am a softness fanatic that would have been a no-go! It took me a long time to try one (Duke 3) and since then I am addicted to that hair grade... quite the same softness as Thäter Two Band with so classic handle styles and a great variety of loft sizes and density... and different to other grades of Simpson I have had no bad surprise yet in terms of craftmenship of the knots or quality control. All four Two Bands I own by now (see below) are excellent quality, have only shed a few hairs in the first shaves.

So I am a big fan of them!!!

Which shall I try next?:confused1

$IMG_0622.jpg$IMG_0623.jpgView attachment 264522

Nice brush. I have one, too. I do like it. It's in my rotation along with &%#@ other brushes. Can one ever have too many brushes?

Steve

I have an EmperorI which has a much smaller (and shorter) knot than your mammoth specimen. It is a beautiful handle and a great little brush.

Thanks for sharing your pics- the new addition looks fantastic!

I have a little Astor that's a similar size and handle shape. It has a 23-51.5 knot with a 58 mm handle. The knot is smaller than I like and has some scritch, so it's not likely to hit the rotation very often. It sits on my "Why did I buy this?" shelf.

$IMG_1983.jpg

So, Connie, I wonder, if these latest Two Band brushes are so soft, does your judgement still stand that they are "scritchy" compared to the "Manchurian" hair grade??
Beautiful addition to the family! The Emperor 3 is one of my favorite handles.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
So, Connie, I wonder, if these latest Two Band brushes are so soft, does your judgement still stand that they are "scritchy" compared to the "Manchurian" hair grade??

It sounds like the current Two Banded is softer at the tips than my Emperor 3 or my Classic 1 Two Banded. The funny (kind of sad) thing is that my Emperor 3 is a replacement from Simpsons for a Emperor 3 Two Banded that I thought felt was near perfect except that it was a shedder. :sad: All is not lost because my husband likes the brush. It is also part of what drove my decision to get the 4 Manchurians brushes that all came from the same batch of hair. I "know" I like that hair.

I love the looks of the Two Bandeds. If there was someway to know that they had the softer tips that my original Emperor 3 had, I would be more temped to buy more of them. It's probably a good thing that it helps put the brakes on my SBAD. :001_unsur

That is the problem, that you never know... I am shying away from the Manchurian as I am concerned to pay a premium for a grade of hair that won't perform better for me. I have been quite a - vocal - skeptic on Simpson brushes but I will admit that the current batch of 2 band plays in the same league as my Thäter 2 bands which I consider the benchmark. Now I am still looking for the sweetest spot of loft and knot size. The Duke 3 in 2 band is pretty close though and I love that E 3.... Does the journey ever end? :scared:
It sounds like the current Two Banded is softer at the tips than my Emperor 3 or my Classic 1 Two Banded. The funny (kind of sad) thing is that my Emperor 3 is a replacement from Simpsons for a Emperor 3 Two Banded that I thought felt was near perfect except that it was a shedder. :sad: All is not lost because my husband likes the brush. It is also part of what drove my decision to get the 4 Manchurians brushes that all came from the same batch of hair. I "know" I like that hair.

I love the looks of the Two Bandeds. If there was someway to know that they had the softer tips that my original Emperor 3 had, I would be more temped to buy more of them. It's probably a good thing that it helps put the brakes on my SBAD. :001_unsur

I love my Emperor3 Super Badger. I keep think I want another Simpson with the same size knot in best I just never make the plunge. So far I am pretty happy after selling almost all my brushes except a Chubby2 in best from RoyalShave as a X-mas present and the Emperor3 in 2 band which I think came from Lee's.

That E3 is really great, but you never know what knot size you get... I got lucky and it seems you did too...
I love my Emperor3 Super Badger. I keep think I want another Simpson with the same size knot in best I just never make the plunge. So far I am pretty happy after selling almost all my brushes except a Chubby2 in best from RoyalShave as a X-mas present and the Emperor3 in 2 band which I think came from Lee's.

That E3 is really great, but you never know what knot size you get... I got lucky and it seems you did too...

Well my knot is 23-24/51mm I use calipers but its really only a guess since the knot is seated.The loft is accurate though. I love the handle and knot they are a perfect union.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
That is the problem, that you never know... I am shying away from the Manchurian as I am concerned to pay a premium for a grade of hair that won't perform better for me. I have been quite a - vocal - skeptic on Simpson brushes but I will admit that the current batch of 2 band plays in the same league as my Thäter 2 bands which I consider the benchmark. Now I am still looking for the sweetest spot of loft and knot size. The Duke 3 in 2 band is pretty close though and I love that E 3.... Does the journey ever end? :scared:

With well over 20 brushes that my husband and I use my journey is slowing down a lot.... still.. I haven't tried any of the horse hair brushes.. or the synthetics..... and Simpsons has a certain queenly brush coming out soon..... and I have a couple of beautiful vintage brushes that I've been meaning to restore..... :blink:

Short answer. Not yet. :scared:

+1
I got one, was in love with the handle, but the knot was tiny and low, which made it too dense for my liking.
It was meant to be though, because I traded it on a Rover and other stuff and in doing so discovered that the Rover is the brush I've been looking for.
Anyway, the Emperor is awesome if you get a good knot, like the one in the OP.

Top Bottom