What's new

Old spice brush for beginner?

After DE shaving for about 6 months now I wanted to get a mug and brush. I saw the old spice sets and thought they were really cool and discovered the brush on ebay. What is the going price for one of these and would you recommend it for a newbie? I don't want to spend a ton of money on it but if it will last a long time I would consider it. Thanks for helping a newbie.

Collectors sometimes pay $10-20 for one, but they aren't a huge demand item. I wouldn't pay more than $15 for sure.

They're pretty scrubby and the bristles aren't up to the same standards of quality you can find in modern brushes. If it's in good shape it'll work fine but I think you'd be happier picking up a good modern boar brush like a Semogue 1470. If you really like the handle, go for one of the old spice, you can always remove the knot and replace it with another knot later.

I think that it would be a fine brush for a beginner. I have three or four of the OS brushes as well as several others of that handle design. I think that the quality of this knot is very good and has a nice feel. It is a dense knot with soft bristles and breaks in well. I have seen the brushes go for as little a five dollars and as much as fifty dollars if combined with a very desirable mug or set. Good luck on your hunt.

Regards,

Doug

I'd say to just go for it and see how you like it. You can always upgrade or get another brush after you see how you like that first one. More than likely though, you'll want something better as you get into wet shaving more and more.

Fyi, I think EverReady may have made some of the original OS brushes, the 150s are a nearly perfect match with the OS mugs. They can be found on the bay cheap (I bought 2 NOS for $15 delivered) been using one of them for months with no problems.

Top Bottom