What's new

Barbasol razor info thread. Any info and pics posted here.

Yowza, Barbasol Open Comb just broke some kind of record on Ebay.

I always thought the razor was undervalued, but I'm not sure what to think about that. I can't imagine these prices will continue to hold.
I am not sure why this went so high, i wont even pay this much for the harder to find Floaty. Am i missing something here?
proxy.php

Well, for every ten or fifteen barbasols that come up on ebay or here, you're lucky if one of them is the OC. A lot of of the OC I have seen have also been in rough shape either plating-wise or with bent or snapped teeth.

Last edited:
I think this was a case of scarcity, branding, and condition coming together. Even the paper box has great color.

Economics. Kudos to the seller for a great sale, and congrats to the buyer for winning cool razor. That said, ebay caters to the entire country; a collector in Palo Alto, CA (hypothetical location), probably has deeper pockets than the rest of us.

Until recently, only one or two Barbasols would roll through Ebay each month. Now days the high sale prices are bringing the Barbies out of the woodwork. Be careful with your bids folks.

It should be interesting to see if a lot pop up. When the french razors went for a lot on the bay, you saw some Leresche pop up, but not really any Le Coq. When toggles started going for big bucks, ebay was hit with many. The FH and NFH Barbasols also came out of the woodwork. I'm not entirely sure there are many of these in that kind of shape and barbasol branded, though. Those came in Pal and Heppenstall as well, right?

It should be interesting to see if a lot pop up. When the french razors went for a lot on the bay, you saw some Leresche pop up, but not really any Le Coq. When toggles started going for big bucks, ebay was hit with many. The FH and NFH Barbasols also came out of the woodwork. I'm not entirely sure there are many of these in that kind of shape and barbasol branded, though. Those came in Pal and Heppenstall as well, right?

The French razors are still rarer than the Barbasols. I am sure that my Leresche # 77 can cost double than that OC that just went for 300 plus. The Barbasols have been increasing in price for the last 2 years now. Not everyone is a big fan of this collectible yet functional razor. I dont collect but i have bought or tried almost 85% of all major razors ever made. I can tell you that the Barbasol is a underrated razor in function and collect-ability until recently. They will only increase in price with time. Especially the mint cased Floaties.

Economics. Kudos to the seller for a great sale, and congrats to the buyer for winning cool razor. That said, ebay caters to the entire country; a collector in Palo Alto, CA (hypothetical location), probably has deeper pockets than the rest of us.

Until recently, only one or two Barbasols would roll through Ebay each month. Now days the high sale prices are bringing the Barbies out of the woodwork. Be careful with your bids folks.

See above post ^^^^^^^

Can anybody compare the aggressiveness of the Floating and non floating models.

If you can compare them with popular models such slim, SS, New etc that will be helpful to all.

Can anybody compare the aggressiveness of the Floating and non floating models.

If you can compare them with popular models such slim, SS, New etc that will be helpful to all.

The Floaty is like a Big Fellow/ Boy, New Improved/New Deluxe on steroids. It is a heavy well made razor. One of the most underrated razors ever made. It shaves more aggressive than the non Float head by a slight margin. But they both provide aggressive and effective shaves, yet yield a non irritating shave unlike similar aggressive type razors.

If this is the Razor you were talking about yesterday, I have to say Wow, I know this one has the Shipper box, but still i must be a Record. Its in nice shape and someone wanted it that bad, So all in all it's what the Buyer wanted to pay for it. I have Two of these and will not part with Either one. I think these are more rare then the Floating Heads or Non Floating Heads, but i could be wrong ?

Congrats to the winner for bringing home such a nice Specimen :001_tt1:

I am not sure why this went so high, i wont even pay this much for the harder to find Floaty. Am i missing something here?

If this is the Razor you were talking about yesterday, I have to say Wow, I know this one has the Shipper box, but still i must be a Record. Its in nice shape and someone wanted it that bad, So all in all it's what the Buyer wanted to pay for it. I have Two of these and will not part with Either one. I think these are more rare then the Floating Heads or Non Floating Heads, but i could be wrong ?

Yes, congrats indeed. If my experience counts for anything, these are very rare razors.

I managed to snag one a while back, the vendor had posted absolutely terrible pictures, one could barely even make out what the razor was. I took a chance and got myself one in truly mint condition. One of my favourites, an undrstated beautiful razor.

This one came with the shipper and with an additional insert I guess, either beard or hair trimming. Never saw one of those before.

As soon as I have the time, which may be never, I'll post the vendor's pictures and some of what my razor actually looks like.

Last edited:

I just think it may have been one of those eBay crazy bidding days.

Indeed I did :) there is not much informations disponible thought, that remind me how gratefull we have to be toward Gillette for the rivers of infos.

Ps: Thx tapatalk, I received the notification on my iphone :D.
Yes, i do send Bat signals......
proxy.php

Just picked up one of the Barbasol open comb's in a razor lot off eBay.... The plating has some light flea bites but is still in overall good condition. Anyone know what years any of these Barbasol razor were produced?

proxy.php

Last edited:
Just picked up one of the Barbasol open comb's in a razor lot off eBay.... The plating has some light flea bites but is still in overall good condition. Anyone know what years any of these Barbasol razor were produced?

Most likely after 1932 .....$zzzzzzzzz.jpg

Top Bottom