What's new

Anybody been to Merz Apothecary in Downtown Chicago?

Hey, I am going on a mini honeymoon in chicago in September! Now as to your question, people have already mentioned the T&H in the 900 N Michigan Ave shopping center but were you looking for other suggestions besides shaving stuff? Merz downtown is nice. I have yet to be to the T&H or the other Merz location.

I work security for a very large company that owns six blocks on the Mag Mile and could recommend a TON of things to do in that area. One of our properties is the shopping center at 520 N Michigan. Nordstrom has some nice shaving stuff and there is an AoS and Kiehl's in the mall too. As far as other attractions, I will hold my suggestions until I know if you want them but I definitely recommend lunch or dinner at the Signature Room in the Hancock building. Amazing and the view is so great you won't even need to visit the Sears (willis) Tower afterwards!

Congrats on the upcoming wedding by the way, like I said ours is in September and I can't wait, especially after all this planning! Anyway, if you are in the area stop by and say hi!

nrv216

Hey, I am going on a mini honeymoon in chicago in September! Now as to your question, people have already mentioned the T&H in the 900 N Michigan Ave shopping center but were you looking for other suggestions besides shaving stuff? Merz downtown is nice. I have yet to be to the T&H or the other Merz location.

I work security for a very large company that owns six blocks on the Mag Mile and could recommend a TON of things to do in that area. One of our properties is the shopping center at 520 N Michigan. Nordstrom has some nice shaving stuff and there is an AoS and Kiehl's in the mall too. As far as other attractions, I will hold my suggestions until I know if you want them but I definitely recommend lunch or dinner at the Signature Room in the Hancock building. Amazing and the view is so great you won't even need to visit the Sears (willis) Tower afterwards!

Congrats on the upcoming wedding by the way, like I said ours is in September and I can't wait, especially after all this planning! Anyway, if you are in the area stop by and say hi!

nrv216

Thanks and congrats to you too. I know what you mean about all the planning, but we are hopefully we won't have any more surprise. We actually found out about 3 months ago that the restaurant we originally planned our reception at was closing.....YIKES. Luckily, we found a new place and it actually worked out better in the long run, but so much drama.

Anyway, I live in Green Bay and I have been to Chicago many times, so I kind of know my way around downtown. Have a good friend who lives by Wrigley that always points me to good spots for food/entertainment. Haven't been to the city in a couple years though, so we are looking forward to it. And this will be my first trip to the city since I discovered this hobby and the forum, so I am excited to go to a store that actually sells stuff related to our hobby beside VDH or AOS. Best of luck to you in September and I would recommend one of W Hotels if you have never been there.....SWMBO and you will appreciate it!

We are actually staying at The Peninsula. It would normally be way above our price range but I have a work contact who got me a sweet deal on a suite!

nrv216

We are actually staying at The Peninsula. It would normally be way above our price range but I have a work contact who got me a sweet deal on a suite!

nrv216

All the hotels downtown are REALLY nice, so you really can't go wrong. We are going from Monday thur Wednesday, then staying in Gurnee Wednesday night so we can go to Great America on Thursday. I normally couldn't afford a nice hotel downtown either, but my best man booked our hotel for us the two nights as a gift.

Have you ever been to Lou Malnati's for pizza? My second favorite pizza other than a dive place here in GB. We are going there for dinner one night for sure and debating where to go the other night. Gotta stop at Hot Doug's for lunch one day too.

View attachment 261786
To be able to browse products before buying them is a dream come true.

See my thread at http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...is-the-BOMB!?p=4329951&highlight=#post4329951

"My daughter lives in Chicago. My last two visits, I have made a side trip to Merz Apothecary (the Lincoln Square location). Their web site is http://www.smallflower.com/ I am not employed by the owners or related to their business in any way, just a satisfied customer.

The sales staff is knowledgeable, polite, and helpful. I listened to the gent in the picture walk a noob through the purchase of what he needed to get started. He sold a good basic kit, did not up-sell the guy things he did not need.

The picture (above) shows the wall of razors and (oh my god so many) brushes. An astounding selection of high end Simpson and Kent to see and feel. Below the counter is frags, AS, and soaps/creams. Penhaligon, i Coloniali mango, Tabac & Speick (full lines of product), Helan Vetiver and Rum EdT, Trumpers GFT and T&H full lines, Haslinger's, Kell, Proraso, .... I could go on and on! Obviously European product is where they are at- no domestic lines like nancy Boy etc.

Last time I bought Penhaligon's Opus 1870 for me, Juniper for SWMBO, plus odds and ends. Yesterday I scored Tabac EdT, Cella cream, GFT Coconut cream, Haslinger sandalwood and Kell's Arabian Spice soaps. "

Cheers!

Merz is pretty sweet and a reasonable (30 minutes?) walk from the Peninsula. As others have said, it's small. The location in Lincoln Square is bigger, but a hassle to get to without a car.

My favorite thing to do in Chicago is to visit the Art Institute. Millennium Park is right there too and is worth a look. Merz is right by these attractions -- a 5 minute walk.

Have fun.

i did not really read this whole thread. i will say some prices are high. however there is a darn good reason for that. their knowledge and politeness is unheard of these days. in any type of goods. i also thought id mention they have badly chipped moss scuttles for $49 but they are completely functional. i know almost everyone there and there exist no nicer folks. in a store at least.

the hilton try that with a car lol. the entire city should be like lincoln squares pull in parking imo. i just wanted to mention there is corrado for stuff too in the suburbs.

Lincoln Square is my old neighborhood, and it really is pretty easy to get to from downtown. Just take the "Brown" line EL north to the Western Ave. station. Merz is right around the corner.. If you're closer to a "Red" line stop, take that to Fullerton or Belmont, then switch to the Brown line.
Lincoln Square is a great strolling neighborhood. Lots of fun shops, restaurants, etc. If it's a really nice day, exit at Damen rather than Western, and it's a 15 walk down Leland right to Merz.
If you're driving there's a parking lot across the street from the store. Head south on Lincoln and you'll hit lots of stores, galleries, vintage shops, stuff like that.
Oh, and Congratulations!
(good call on Lou Malnatis, too!)

Lincoln Square is my old neighborhood, and it really is pretty easy to get to from downtown. Just take the "Brown" line EL north to the Western Ave. station. Merz is right around the corner.. If you're closer to a "Red" line stop, take that to Fullerton or Belmont, then switch to the Brown line.
Lincoln Square is a great strolling neighborhood. Lots of fun shops, restaurants, etc. If it's a really nice day, exit at Damen rather than Western, and it's a 15 walk down Leland right to Merz.
If you're driving there's a parking lot across the street from the store. Head south on Lincoln and you'll hit lots of stores, galleries, vintage shops, stuff like that.
Oh, and Congratulations!
(good call on Lou Malnatis, too!)

Is there more stuff at the Lincoln Square store vs the Downtown one? I would probably hit that one up on the way out of town if it is better than the other one

first of all, i meant to congratulate you as well. yes indeed. the store at the hilton pales in comparison to the lincoln square store. it is interesting how much they packed into such a small store. it is literally hard to walk up to the front from the entrance. plus there are some other cool stores right on that same little "island" on lincoln ave. merz is by far the gem though. a long time ago before i was a vegan uno's was my haunt but that is a coin toss.

Congrats!

Just went to the store downtown for the first time last week. It is nice and spacious and was not busy on a Friday afternoon. The staff was terrific. The Merz in Lincoln Square on the other hand definitely has more things crammed into it but was also much more crowded especially on the weekends. Try to get to it on off hours if you can. Truefitt and Hill is also great. They will let you smell anything that they carry. They have a much smaller selection but the staff is really friendly.

Hot doug's is very crowded. They will be closing on Aug 6th so that means that the 4th will be the last day they are open. If you are going to go, expect longgggggg lines especially at lunch time. I went one time before they went on vacation and it took 3 hours!! Get there early or late (they stop people from getting into the line at 4), do not go at lunch time!

¢orey;4330114 said:
The location in Lincoln Square is bigger, but a hassle to get to without a car.
Not so much. Only one block from elevated train (Brown Line Western station). The L is a couple of bucks and 30 min from the Peninsula (acording to Google maps).

Try the Sauerbraten and the Alsatian apple and onion soup at the Berghoff (South Loop) http://www.berghoff.com/ It's like going to Heaven!
Cheers and Happy Wedding!

Try the Sauerbraten and the Alsatian apple and onion soup at the Berghoff (South Loop) http://www.berghoff.com/ It's like going to Heaven!
Meh. I'm not a huge fan of German food, so YMMV on this to be sure. I also used to walk by this every day when I worked in the loop, so to me its just another place amongst all the others. Personally I'd get more enjoyment out of going to Miller's Pub on Wabash right next to Palmer House.

Not so much. Only one block from elevated train (Brown Line Western station). The L is a couple of bucks and 30 min from the Peninsula (acording to Google maps).

Been there before. I am like 90% German.

That sucks that Hot Doug's is closed next week. We aren't going to get there until Monday the 6th. Good thing there are like 2000 other awesome restaurants in Chicago :thumbup:

+1, Millers Pub is fantastic!

Meh. I'm not a huge fan of German food, so YMMV on this to be sure. I also used to walk by this every day when I worked in the loop, so to me its just another place amongst all the others. Personally I'd get more enjoyment out of going to Miller's Pub on Wabash right next to Palmer House.

Been there before. I am like 90% German.

Then you'll love Lincoln Square--it's Chicago's "German" neighborhood.
The Chicago Brauhaus is a great German restaurant a few doors down from Merz. The Huettenbar has over a dozen German beers.
IMO, the Lincoln Square Merz has more than the downtown location.

Stopped in at the Merz in downtown Chicago today during my daily walk. This place is downright dangerous to a wet shaver's budget! What an amazing selection. I consider it an example of extreme self-control that I only bought some Proraso after-shave lotion. I could've spent a fortune there. I'll definitely be going back. Not only are they closer to where I live than the Lincoln Square location, but the downtown Merz is open on Sundays.

Another plus, and a tip for anyone looking for a quick snack after shopping, is that the best Cubano sandwich to be found in Chicago is only a few blocks further south: Cafecito, on Congress between Wabash and State.

Nick

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
All the hotels downtown are REALLY nice, so you really can't go wrong. We are going from Monday thur Wednesday, then staying in Gurnee Wednesday night so we can go to Great America on Thursday. I normally couldn't afford a nice hotel downtown either, but my best man booked our hotel for us the two nights as a gift.

Have you ever been to Lou Malnati's for pizza? My second favorite pizza other than a dive place here in GB. We are going there for dinner one night for sure and debating where to go the other night. Gotta stop at Hot Doug's for lunch one day too.

Which dive place?

Top Bottom