What's new

TGN silvertip grade A... Lather hog?

I have my eyes set on a silvertip grade A from TGN, but I've seen some mention of it being a lather hog. How does it perform in the lather release department for those of you who have one? What is your size and loft?

I am a bowl latherer so I like my brush to have great release... In my den are a vulfix 2234 and an EJ best. These brushes are a little floppy but I love them because they really make applying lather effortless.

Thanks for the input.

I've seen mixed reviews on the grade A. However, it seems pretty unanimous that people love the two-band Finest. I will be ordering one in the new future.

My Grade A bulb 22/50 is very soft, with good flow through, but the knot lacks backbone which makes it feel spongy.

My Grade A bulb 22/50 is very soft, with good flow through, but the knot lacks backbone which makes it feel spongy.

Drill that sucker an extra 5-10mm down! Good to know, though. I was going to put it in a metal handle with a set knot height. Confirms that I should get the two-band finest.

Question about two-band finest knots: I don't mind backbone, but I don't like scritch. I want super-soft tips. Is that how the two-band finest knots are? So far I've only used the grade A silvertips.

Dave

As I understand it, they have scritch but get pretty soft once broken in. Someone will probably come in soon to give their first hand take on it, though.

Finest has a nice scritch, not annoying, when the hair is wet it feels really nice, scrubby and soft. The knots are a great price, the bulb shape seems softer to me.

Would you say a 2-band is more like a well broken in boar brush in terms of backbone, softness of tips, etc.? Also, do you face lather with the 2-band, or is more for bowl lathering and painting the lather on?

I agree, they look very classy!

Dave

Would you say a 2-band is more like a well broken in boar brush in terms of backbone, softness of tips, etc.? Also, do you face lather with the 2-band, or is more for bowl lathering and painting the lather on?

I agree, they look very classy!

Dave

Depending on loft and density they can have a similar backbone, some 2-bands are scritchy and others aren't at all (gel like feel), I never had an overly scritchy 2-band. My shavemac D01 felt pretty scritchy at first bit the tips softened up quite nicely (with more pressure the scritch is there). The TGN finest has much less scritch. I only face lather with all my brushes because I enjoy the scrub and exfoliating that takes place. My 2-band knots feel the best to me (as far as my preference goes - scrubby, good backbone, slight scritch).

Question about two-band finest knots: I don't mind backbone, but I don't like scritch. I want super-soft tips. Is that how the two-band finest knots are? So far I've only used the grade A silvertips.

Dave

What's your take on the grade A as far as flow through goes? Thanks.

I've seen mixed reviews on the grade A. However, it seems pretty unanimous that people love the two-band Finest. I will be ordering one in the new future.

I have the two-band finest and its great! I believe its a 23mm knot with a 48mm loft and it has no problem generating and releasing lather. My personal experience is that the TGN two-band is softer than say a Simpson's two-band, so I find it a happy medium between a silvertip and a two-band. Plus I have the knot set in a vintage butterscotch brush handle so the black bristles contrast nicely with the butterscotch.

I have tired both their 2-band finest, Silvertip Grade A and newest Super Silvertip. I still own both 2-band finest and do not own the other two.....think that about sums it up

All TGN knots are very good quality. They are very reasonable priced, and there are various hair grades, shapes, and sizes for different tastes. The benefit of using them is that everyone has the privilege to decide on the knot size AND the loft which suit their personal needs and preferences. The added opportunity to buy a handle from TGN for a particular selected knot is very convenient, and Tony is very responsive and easy to deal with.

My experience is based on the four TGN brushes I have - a Silvertip Grade A bulb 22/50 and Finest 2-band fan 22/48 made by Rudy; Finest 2-band bulb 22/50 and Silvertip short loft 24/49 I've put together myself. Don't forget that the knot sizes are nominal given on TGN web site, NOT measured at the top edge of the handle. I think that's where sometimes the confusion comes from. Typically, there's between 1 and 2.5 mm variance of the diameter measured at the handle edge. If you buy 24 mm listed knot size, the cup is 23 mm. But the handle opening can be anywhere from 24 to 25.5 mm. Apparently, this is another way to control the density and the bloom. I wish TGN had short lofted Grade A knot available as their regular Silvertip. It would be a killer soft and compact knot IMHO.

So, the bottom line is everyone has to find their own perfect setup which unfortunately is based on trial and error. But the perfect magic combination is available. And playing with these knots and handles is not that expensive in the context of this hobby of ours. I find Silvertip Grade A the softest, with least backbone, but fairly well stuffed with hair. The Finest has the best backbone, still soft with light scrub. My short lofted Silvertip is a bit scritchy. It was prickly in the beginning and needed a break in period. All knots have great flow through and lather release.

I like the TGN bulbs 24/50 mm, and the fans - 24/48 mm. I'd go with 1-1.5 mm lower lofts for the 22 mm knots with tight opening of the handles.

$tgnbrushes.jpg

All TGN knots are very good quality. They are very reasonable priced, and there are various hair grades, shapes, and sizes for different tastes. The benefit of using them is that everyone has the privilege to decide on the knot size AND the loft which suit their personal needs and preferences. The added opportunity to buy a handle from TGN for a particular selected knot is very convenient, and Tony is very responsive and easy to deal with.

My experience is based on the four TGN brushes I have - a Silvertip Grade A bulb 22/50 and Finest 2-band fan 22/48 made by Rudy; Finest 2-band bulb 22/50 and Silvertip short loft 24/49 I've put together myself. Don't forget that the knot sizes are nominal given on TGN web site, NOT measured at the top edge of the handle. I think that's where sometimes the confusion comes from. Typically, there's between 1 and 2.5 mm variance of the diameter measured at the handle edge. If you buy 24 mm listed knot size, the cup is 23 mm. But the handle opening can be anywhere from 24 to 25.5 mm. Apparently, this is another way to control the density and the bloom. I wish TGN had short lofted Grade A knot available as their regular Silvertip. It would be a killer soft and compact knot IMHO.

So, the bottom line is everyone has to find their own perfect setup which unfortunately is based on trial and error. But the perfect magic combination is available. And playing with these knots and handles is not that expensive in the context of this hobby of ours. I find Silvertip Grade A the softest, with least backbone, but fairly well stuffed with hair. The Finest has the best backbone, still soft with light scrub. My short lofted Silvertip is a bit scritchy. It was prickly in the beginning and needed a break in period. All knots have great flow through and lather release.

I like the TGN bulbs 24/50 mm, and the fans - 24/48 mm. I'd go with 1-1.5 mm lower lofts for the 22 mm knots with tight opening of the handles.

View attachment 256948

Again... very much appreciated. This sheds a light on a lot of the questions I have regarding these knots, especially about the knot size and how the size of the handle opening affects density and backbone.

I probably will have to go through some trial and error too, but posts like these will hopefully minimize that and save me some money and aggravation. That's why I love this forum.

I have the two-band finest and its great! I believe its a 23mm knot with a 48mm loft and it has no problem generating and releasing lather. My personal experience is that the TGN two-band is softer than say a Simpson's two-band, so I find it a happy medium between a silvertip and a two-band. Plus I have the knot set in a vintage butterscotch brush handle so the black bristles contrast nicely with the butterscotch.

This makes me want to try a 2-band also... I love the look of the 2-band and how it contrasts with handle colors such as butterscotch and ivory. I am wary of 2-bands because I don't want too much backbone, but at the price of the TGN knots I'll probably try one out.

I think edgerunner is accurate with his comments, it mirrors my experiences anyway. BTW, love the big 2 band knots.

Top Bottom