What's new

How Many Shaves

With the premature dulling threads recently I have wondered "how many shaves to the center of a straight razor"- Not really, I just want to know how many shaves before I have to touch up on the stones.

I plan on using the same razor with every shave and no pastes, sprays-nada. I will shave and strop only on the Kanayama-first suede then the leather. I will keep using this same razor until the shaves become uncomfortable.

I shaved with this razor this morning after a touch up last night. This razor was previously honed on a Oozuko Asagi with a 5 stone nagura progression.

The countdown starts today.

The razor is a 6/8 TI
proxy.php

If I have to shave with the same razor everyday, at least lets make it a good one.

I predict about 10 shaves.

I like this idea. I'll be curious to see how it turns out. I've never kept track and have no idea how many shaves I get from a honing. Too many razors in the rotation. :thumbup1:

This is interesting! I'm currently at about 10 on my "Sight Unseen" Red Point, and I've started using the balsa strop in addition to the leather one. Shaves still feel fine, but I've been thinking the edge may not be quite as sharp any more. I've been trying to tell myself it's my imagination, but perhaps it isn't.

Think I'll go strop some more.

This one is subscribed to. I want to hear what you get to... My guess is 15 for a comfortable shave - which is the real wildcard - what is comfortable? I've done 14 with minor CrO2 touchup - when on the road. So that was cheating a bit. However, the blade was still ready to go but it was noticeably duller - but very usable.

OK an update.

This is obviously a YMMV-so take my results with a grain of salt. For a little history-I used feathers in the DE days, I prefer/like very sharp. The feathers started to pull just a bit on shave 4, so I never used them more than 3.

I will keep everything around the shave the same. Soap (Cella) , passes (3, WTG, XTG x 2), number of stropping-normally I don't count but will for this. I always give the blade 20 quick strops post shave on leather.

Shave # 1
Prep: Hot shower
Soap: Cella
Strop: Kanayama 25 suede, 50 leather
HHT pre shave: 4
Results: Butter smooth, very keen-very nice edge. DFS to BBS

Shave # 2
Prep: Hot shower
Soap: Cella
Strop: Kanayama 25 suede, 50 leather
HHT pre shave: 4
Results: Same as shave # 1, no appreciable change in edge, great shave. DFS to BBS

Last edited:
Interesting!

I tend to notice a change right about between shave 3 & 4.
I usually touch up with 0.1µ & 0.025µ every 2 shaves, so no problem really :biggrin:

Interesting!

I tend to notice a change right about between shave 3 & 4.
I usually touch up with 0.1µ & 0.025µ every 2 shaves, so no problem really :biggrin:

I have been touching up after 3-4 with just water on the JNAT so I think I will get at least that far.

We will see.

I have been touching up after 3-4 with just water on the JNAT so I think I will get at least that far.

We will see.
Probably further, but it all comes down to what is an "acceptable" shave.
I have honed razors for people that handed them to me for a "quick touch-up, it shaves but tugs just a little bit" just to discover that the blade just barely scrapes off armhair...

But, even with all the various things to consider like type of finish, razor, technique, tide, virgin unicorns & what not, it should give a good ball park number of shaves

Early on I was at 2-3 shaves per edge. Now, with aboout 110 shaves under my belt, I'm creaping up to 5-7.

Experience seems to have a lot to do with it. One of many variables.

I am interested. I think I get a few to several 3-4 pass shaves. My Sheffields dull much quicker than my Swedish or American Steel. I will be interested to see the TI

I can't believe how few shaves some of you blokes reckon you get. I reckon your stropping must need work. Honed, that large Klas Tornblum I bought off you about 12-18 months ago still has your original edge on it. I'd guess that I've shaved with itapprox 20 times. It's not as sharp as when I first got it but it's still not tugging.

I can't believe how few shaves some of you blokes reckon you get. I reckon your stropping must need work. Honed, that large Klas Tornblum I bought off you about 12-18 months ago still has your original edge on it. I'd guess that I've shaved with itapprox 20 times. It's not as sharp as when I first got it but it's still not tugging.

You might have a point. I just touch mine up on .5 crox on balsa for over a year now.... But when I touch up one, I generally do them all!!! I can double the shaves with my C.V. Heljestrand, and when it pulls a bit it is only ATG.

Experience seems to have a lot to do with it. One of many variables.
100% agree
I will be interested to see the TI
Part of the reason I chose this one.
For me it is on the order of 30 to 40.
I don't think I will get that far-but I have no idea

You might have a point. I just touch mine up on .5 crox on balsa for over a year now.... But when I touch up one, I generally do them all!!! I can double the shaves with my C.V. Heljestrand, and when it pulls a bit it is only ATG.
I'm trying this out without any pastes, sprays, etc

Top Bottom