What's new

How Many Shaves

I can't believe how few shaves some of you blokes reckon you get. I reckon your stropping must need work. Honed, that large Klas Tornblum I bought off you about 12-18 months ago still has your original edge on it. I'd guess that I've shaved with itapprox 20 times. It's not as sharp as when I first got it but it's still not tugging.

Nah... stropping is easy. I think it is a matter of personal preference. Which I alluded to in my first post. What is comfortable to me may not be to someone else. The results of this test will be subjective but Doc has street cred and it will be a worthwhile data point.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think it will go pretty far if you adapt your technique to a slowly dulling razor, ie scything, increasing blade angle, even applying pressure(yikes).

Reason for my theory is I always have a few weepers off the first shave of a touched up razor off the hones. Not so much touched up off the sprays. I believe as the razor dulled I unconsciously applied more pressure, angle, etc. Even though I know I need to adapt my technique to a sharp blade.

What is comfortable to me may not be to someone else. The results of this test will be subjective but Doc has street cred and it will be a worthwhile data point.

I agree, I may find it unacceptable when someone else may find it just fine.

The "street cred" comment made me laugh

The "street cred" comment made me laugh

I imagine you with a pierced ear and diamond ear ring. A tattoo that indicates you were once a drummer for a famous rock band. When you go to Tibet, you give lessons. Martha Stuart calls you for advice. Your house pet is a cougar. But I may be over-thinking it.

I imagine you with a pierced ear and diamond ear ring. A tattoo that indicates you were once a drummer for a famous rock band. When you go to Tibet, you give lessons. Martha Stuart calls you for advice. Your house pet is a cougar. But I may be over-thinking it.

You got it all, but I was a bassist and you forgot to mention Chuck Norris asks me for self defense tips.:lol:

wasn't mycarver checking how long a GD edge could last without even stropping? Not sure where that thread ended up.

I had an understanding razors would last quite long before it needed honing. I've heard they need to be honed max a couple of times a year. Since I can't hone myself and don't have the money to buy expensive stones I guess maybe I should have kept away from straights...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I count every shave I do with every straight I got. When I hone them, it goes back to 0 but I keep the number in an excel spreadsheet. I then make an average of the thing. I might go differently with my rotation and maybe I will use one straight until it gets dull... So far, I got some that are 15 shaves, others (more likely) 20 shaves and one exceptional 40 shaves. It depends on the shape I find.

Something like a wedge doesn't dull as quickly.

I count every shave I do with every straight I got. When I hone them, it goes back to 0 but I keep the number in an excel spreadsheet. I then make an average of the thing. I might go differently with my rotation and maybe I will use one straight until it gets dull... So far, I got some that are 15 shaves, others (more likely) 20 shaves and one exceptional 40 shaves. It depends on the shape I find.

Something like a wedge doesn't dull as quickly.
Boy I thought I was OCD-excell spread sheet :lol:

I'll never make it...I think I need to join a 12 step program for jonesin' for some honesin'. Not that I bevel set often at all, but ever since I got a CHUG and a surgical black Arkie, I admit I'm a carefree recreational honer. With how little metal they remove, I don't think it will matter in my lifetime.

I look forward to seeing how this turns out!

Had a function to go to last night

Shave # 3
Prep: Hot shower
Soap: Cella
Strop: Kanayama 25 suede, 50 leather
HHT pre shave: 4
Results: Not a great shave, but the razor was not at fault. Still very smooth and keen, no appreciable loss in the edge. The less than stellar shave was from me hurrying up trying not to be late-still DFS​

Sorry for being stupid. But what does DFS stand for?

I had an understanding razors would last quite long before it needed honing. I've heard they need to be honed max a couple of times a year. Since I can't hone myself and don't have the money to buy expensive stones I guess maybe I should have kept away from straights...
Then its a good thing there is lapping film around. I may even volunteer to send you at little sample pack when mine arrive. We can't have anyone backing out of straight using once they started. Just let me now if and where to send it.

Last edited:
Sorry for being stupid. But what does DFS stand for?

Then its a good thing there is lapping film around. I may even volunteer to send you at little sample pack when mine arrive. We can't have anyone backing out of straight using once they started. Just let me now if and where to send it.

DFS= Damn fine shave. I would love to take you up on that offer! PM sent!

Interesting thread (maybe a "shave clinic" thing?--it's not just for noobs IMO). Count me in as "subscribed" here. And in the interests science (if not medecine) please stick to the given formula, if you please; it's excellent. Hit the rock as needed and then let the shave counting-begin again. Three repeat sequences in a row (shave 'til "dull", rock, shave 'til "dull", rock, etc.) seems like a winner.

ever since I got [. . .] a surgical black Arkie, I admit I'm a carefree recreational honer.

Out of curiosity, did you buy a vintage or a recently-mined black Arkansas stone? And if it was recently mined, what did you do to age it (i.e., lap it) prematurely?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I wouldn't put any weight whatsoever on whatever number you achieve, as there are just too many variables for it to have any real significance, and it may not even be duplicable for the same razor used by the same person. Type of steel, quality of original honing, personal definition and expectation of sharpness, tolerance for edge degradation, and shaving technique will all factor into your final decision.

I'd say it's a fun game, but not in the least bit scientific. If I were ever asked for my opinion as to how long my edges last, I would only respond in broad terms, i.e., I can go three to fifteen shaves before hitting a pasted strop, I can go two to five cycles of refreshing on a pasted strop before requiring a touchup on film or stones, I can go one to eight touchups before needing to reset the bevel. In other words, it's a huge range, and I don't see how anything is accomplished by trying to put a solid number on it. In fact, it may have the opposite effect. Newbies may say "I only shaved nine times with this blade, I better keep on going even though I'm ripping my face to shreads", or "Well, that makes twelve shaves. Even though everything is 100% perfect, I guess it's time to break out the DMT XXC".

I'd still be interested in hearing your results, of course.

Interesting thread (maybe a "shave clinic" thing?--it's not just for noobs IMO). Count me in as "subscribed" here. And in the interests science (if not medecine) please stick to the given formula, if you please; it's excellent. Hit the rock as needed and then let the shave counting-begin again. Three repeat sequences in a row (shave 'til "dull", rock, shave 'til "dull", rock, etc.) seems like a winner.

I do plan on keeping everything the same. I then want to see if I can get the razor shaving again by just giving laps on plain water or if I need to go back to the naguras.

I wouldn't put any weight whatsoever on whatever number you achieve, as there are just too many variables for it to have any real significance, and it may not even be duplicable for the same razor used by the same person. Type of steel, quality of original honing, personal definition and expectation of sharpness, tolerance for edge degradation, and shaving technique will all factor into your final decision.

I'd say it's a fun game, but not in the least bit scientific. If I were ever asked for my opinion as to how long my edges last, I would only respond in broad terms, i.e., I can go three to fifteen shaves before hitting a pasted strop, I can go two to five cycles of refreshing on a pasted strop before requiring a touchup on film or stones, I can go one to eight touchups before needing to reset the bevel. In other words, it's a huge range, and I don't see how anything is accomplished by trying to put a solid number on it. In fact, it may have the opposite effect. Newbies may say "I only shaved nine times with this blade, I better keep on going even though I'm ripping my face to shreads", or "Well, that makes twelve shaves. Even though everything is 100% perfect, I guess it's time to break out the DMT XXC".

I'd still be interested in hearing your results, of course.
I cometely agree. My little game should serve no purpose on determinig when and why the razor needs to go back for a touch up. I just do not know how long that will be for ME. If I make it to five that is great, if it's 20 ok, if it's 50 ok too. I'm just having fun shaving-is it not what that it's all about?

Interesting experiment Doc Usualy I touch up on Balsa pasted with CrOx 0.5m and Diamond 0.25m + stropping on Tony Miller's strop after each shave. Curious to see the final veredict.

Top Bottom