What's new

Aftershave/Shaving Cream/Shower Gel/Cologne Coordination

Hi everyone, first time poster here, so sorry for the noob question. I just recently decided to commit myself to improving my appearance and hopefully the overall impression I give upon first encounter. I've decided a part of that is using quality hygiene products.

I recently ordered a tub of Truefitt & Hill 1805 shaving cream. How important is it to coordinate other products (ie. using the same brand/fragrance, etc.)? Should I buy aftershave and other 1805 products to avoid harsh blending of fragrances? What is the SOP as far this goes?

I guess part of me wonders if I'm going to become a slave to a certain brand and have to purchase ALL of their products. The last thing I want to do is be one of the people with Apple stickers on their rear windshields (no offense to those of you that have them).

Any advice is certainly appreciated!

Coordinating products is fully unnecessary.

The scent of shaving soap/ shaving cream usually dissipates shortly after the shave is complete. Most body wash is the same, the scent will vanish likely within 5-10 minutes of exiting the shower.

Aftershave varies, some can be super short lived, and some may last an hour or two. So it could clash with your cologne.

Deodorant I am not sure I would worry about. I don't think I have ever smelled it on anyone except for right after application. Someone might smell it, if they are within "intimate range", and you raise up your arms.

how did you go about choosing an aftershave?

If you don't know what your preferences are in terms of scent, I would start with one of the classic aftershaves widely available locally: Old Spice, Brut, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, and Clubman for example. One doesn't need to spend big money to get a great aftershave.

Other than the smell, most aftershaves are fundamentally the same, consisting of just four ingredients: alcohol, glycerin, water, and fragrance. Sure other skin goodies might be added, but those are the basic ingredients, and thus a $50 aftershave is not necessarily going to perform any differently than a $5 drug store classic.

I remember trying all sorts of things when I committed to doing the same as you. In the end, you can follow whole regimes like Lab Series or Clinique, or you can go minimalist.

I found that using gentle face scrub - like the Nivea for Men one - twice a week was very worthwhile. And instead of a moisturiser, I settled on Rexona For Men aftershave balm - mainly because it left me with a matte finish rather than a wet look, like various other balms and moisturisers did. The Neutrogena moisturiser also gave me a matte finish. So it's worth experimenting to see which suit you best. And dearest isn't always best, though the Lab Series face scrub was the best (and most expensive) one I tried.

That said, I did know one person who regularly forked out $95 for very expensive moisturiser from YSL, because any other cheaper moisturiser gave her pimples/ acne.
Regards,
Renato

Top Bottom