What's new

Shaving cream for sensitive skin

I'm a bit of a heathen, but hear me out. My face reacts poorly to various soaps and creams. I get blade irritation as well if there is too much blade feel or I shaved at the wrong angle. Proraso also does not agree with my skin.

What's worked best for me? Barbasol canned goo. The trick is to mix in water and remove the air. Squirt some into a bowl, about two golf ball size blobs, which is enough for three full passes. Take a brush and mix in water. Add several drops at a time until it no longer makes many small peaks with the brush, but a few larger ones. You'll see that it's ready when the volume decreases as you've removed a lot of the air. Brush on to a wet face. This has solved my lather-related issues. Using the razor properly is another story!

Glad you found the Speick and had good experience - I've noticed that it is a favorite of many, and I hope to try it one day myself.

I've just ordered TOBS Jermyn Street. It is billed as "for sensitive skin," but that's not why I bought it - I just like the scent and the results I get from TOBS products. However, I thought I would mention a cream I have not yet seen in reponses as you explore what works for you.

Enjoy your search!

Need to try Speick. Recently went back to using Muhle Organic but cushion is really missing and I'm ending up with a skin tear or two which didn't happen with MdC soap, but Mdc was causing my skin to peel.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I will start checking them all out. I just got Weleda shave cream and Speick shave cream. Will see how these two will go.
What are your thoughts on Weleda? I used Weleda for several years before I got into lathering with a brush. I tried it again a few years ago with brush lathering and I didn't like it at all, couldn't even finish the tube.

BTW what is the difference between regular and active Speick? Is it just aloe vera? Has anyone tried both and care to comment on performance?

Regular cream ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Cetyl Palmitate, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Valeriana Celtica (Speick) Extract, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Silicate, Limonene, Linalool

Active cream ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate, Cetyl Palmitate, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Valeriana Celtica (Speick) Extract, Poria Cocos Extract, Phragmites Kharka Extract, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Silicate, Sodium Benzoate, Citral, Citronellol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
BTW what is the difference between regular and active spieck? Is it just aloe vera? Has anyone tried both and care to comment on performance?

Regular cream ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Cetyl Palmitate, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Valeriana Celtica (Speick) Extract, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Silicate, Limonene, Linalool

Active cream ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate, Cetyl Palmitate, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Valeriana Celtica (Speick) Extract, Poria Cocos Extract, Phragmites Kharka Extract, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Silicate, Sodium Benzoate, Citral, Citronellol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool
Scent!

I adore the smell of Speick but unfortunately there’s something in there that doesn’t agree with my skin. I think it may be the lavender oil. For sensitive skin I’m really enjoying NIVEA MEN SENSITIVE PRO ULTRA-CALMING SHAVING CREAM.

I adore the smell of Speick but unfortunately there’s something in there that doesn’t agree with my skin. I think it may be the lavender oil. For sensitive skin I’m really enjoying NIVEA MEN SENSITIVE PRO ULTRA-CALMING SHAVING CREAM.
This is the one being discussed in another thread with hemp oil not available in the US right?

This is the one being discussed in another thread with hemp oil not available in the US right?
Yeah that's the one. Although apparently it is available in the US but with a slightly different name -NIVEA MEN Sensitive Calm Liquid Shaving Cream.

Top Bottom