What's new

Lemon Mango Chicken Curry

Decided to do something a tiny bit different from my typical curry recipes tonight. Normally, a food processor stays as far away from my curries as possible, but decided to use it this evening and I was pleased with what I got from it.

For ingredients, you'll need:

1 lb chicken breast cut into 1 1/2" cubes
Two sweet shallots or one medium sweet onion
Ginger, I use about a 2" piece
Three cloves of garlic
Zest of half to a whole lemon (your taste)
Half a mango cut into chunks
One can diced tomatoes, drained
Two hot red chilies, or whatever chili you prefer
Half cup of either coconut milk, cream or yogurt
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground coriander (or fresh)
1/2 teaspoon ground black cardamom
Salt and pepper to taste
Turmeric to taste
Kashmiri red chili powder to taste (not necessary)
Saffron to taste (not necessary)
Two tbsp cooking oil and a tablespoon of butter

This is actually pretty quick and easy provided you have all the ingredients. Couldn't find any lemongrass, otherwise it would've gone in there, too.

Cut the onion/shallots, ginger, lemon zest, mango, red chilies, tomatoes (fresh or diced). It doesn't matter how they're cut because they're going to be processed, anyway. Place them along with all the dry spices and sugar into the food processor and pulse until smooth. This isn't necessarily a "paste", so don't worry if it doesn't look like one. For all intents and purposes, though, it's curry paste.

Heat a pan on medium heat and add the oil and butter. Once hot, add in your curry paste and let this cook down for approximately 5-10 minutes until it's reduced to your liking. At first, the butter/oil is going to separate and make it appear far too greasy. Don't worry, just keep incorporating it all in.

Add the chopped chicken. Continue to cook on medium for about 5 more minutes until the chicken is partially cooked through. Turn the heat down to low-medium, add your yogurt or coconut milk and continue to simmer until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.

Serve over jasmine or basmati, I used jasmine this time.

proxy.php

That looks great. I love a good curry. Miss sunny London for the curries but thankfully there's two curry houses very close to home that cook great curries. I can see that being dinner tonight.

Top Bottom