What's new

The Big, Bad Fatip Grande

I will say that even thought the Grande is less weight, the overall feel of the grande in your hand is a razor of substance.
There is a good "feel" and it very well balanced. I would imagine of you liked a heftier handle feel, something like the iKon would be a great handle of choice.

For me, I tend to hold all of my razors about 2/3 of the way up, so for me....I don't know if I would appreciate the weight difference.

Today was another BBS shave with the same combo of Fatip and Super Iridium..... Will be trying other blade combos in it this week.

I've used the R41 for almost a year and love it. The jury is still out on the Fatip for me, though; I'm still getting used to it. Results have been variable: some great close, smooth shaves, some gotchas. Have been trying it with the long Weber Classic handle for a different balance. In fact, I have a nickel Fatip coming, just for this purpose. Stay tuned.

The Weber has become my go-to razor, although I do shim it with two extra partial blades to tweak up the aggressiveness -- er, efficiency -- a bit.

how do you "....shim it with two extra partial blades to tweak up the aggressiveness" ?

Thanks Oscroft, others for the handle advice! I think the safe bet would be the Grande. Looking at it next to the old Gillette, which I find rather small, the Piccolo would probably feel like a travel razor to me despite its weight!

Grande it is! Now, Chrome or Nickel... Chrome or Nickel...

how do you "....shim it with two extra partial blades to tweak up the aggressiveness" ?

what most people do is take a old blade...use a sharp pair of scissors, or tin snipes and cut off the sharp ends....then place the shims under the blade...

Decided since the fatip comes with a 5 pack of Astra SP's...I will try that tomorrow in the Fatip.....considering it is one of the most popular blades on B&B, due to price and consistent shaves, it should give me a fairly neutral review of the Fatip...not a overly aggressive blade, or dull....

Will give my impressions in the morning.

what most people do is take a old blade...use a sharp pair of scissors, or tin snipes and cut off the sharp ends....then place the shims under the blade...

Yes, I just use a sharp scissors to cut off the blade ends, as shown. Each shim adds a slight bit of aggressiveness; two shims work well for me in the Weber.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wanted to try shimming my old type to replicate the thinker blades used from that time period....may have to give it a try :)

I got a shipping advice from Maguire's Barbershop today for my Grande Fatip, so the long wait for shipping to Australia now starts.

I just finished shaving with the fatip grande paired with tradere.
Loaded with astra sp and mwf

Pleasant and enjoyable shave. Once I got the angle right, and patiently weed off the whiskers with very light pressure, I was on my way to shave heaven...

On the angle of the razor - very small room to play with, unlike the R41 where you can go steep or shallow.

I tried the Fatip Piccolo today with a Astra sp.I had a great 2 pass bbs face shave and a 1 pass headshave.No burn or iritation.I usually like a heavier razor for headshaves and the Piccolo did a great job.I did have SHS,slippery hand syndrome so I used some alum on my fingers but other than that it was a great shave.Tomorrow I'll shave with the Grande and if I have enough head whiskers I'll do a headshave as well.

Yes, I just use a sharp scissors to cut off the blade ends, as shown. Each shim adds a slight bit of aggressiveness; two shims work well for me in the Weber.

full

Thanks guys.
Does it mean that if I place it under the blade, the razor will be more aggressive whereas if I place it above the blade, the razor will be more mild ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Used the Grande with the Astra Sp today. Astra's arent one of my regular blades...not that I find them bad...just I normally go for something sharper.

Loaded the grande with the Sp, bowl lathered with AoS and Vdh a superlather....used my silvertip to lather.

What a great shave!! The Astra gave a remarkably smooth shave....for me ,I needed three passes and a touch up...but irritation free and smooth as silk...will use this combo again!!

I notice two manufacturing defects with my fatip grande head:

a. the screw on the head seems to be welded to the cap [can see the welding]
b. uneven exposure of blade - one side of my astra sp protrudes more [not true - see my edit below].

Will try to take pics tonight. For tonight's shave, I will see if it shaves differently on different sides.

Other than these defects, I would have to say that the fatip is just a tad lower than R41 in performance, but with much less aggression.

---edit---
after taking 3 pics of the razor head with the astra sp in it and scrutinising it, I realise that what my naked eyes previously told me was not correct. The blade is more or less evenly exposed. Apologies to those who are scared off fatip by my remark.

Last edited:
Today I shaved with the Fatip Grande and Astra Sp.I had a very smooth 2 pass face shave and a great 1 pass headshave.I think I like the Piccolo a little better for headshaves,I think the extra weight and a lil better maneuverability makes for a better headshave.Face shave they both seemed about equal,I got away doing 2 pass shaves where some other razors require a 3 pass for me.The Joris is a way better razor in my opinion but it's also way more expensive than the Fatip.IF you've always wanted a Joris but didn't have the scratch for one, the Fatip is a great option.

Today I decided to try yet another blade in the fatip. Even though I only had one shave on the Astra ( and I prefer them on the second and third shave) I decided to pop in my "stand by" razor, The Supermax Super Platinum. This blade doesn't seem to get much love on B&B...if you do a search...it is pretty divided....either you LOVE this blade or you hate it...with only a few in the middle ground. I am in the LOVE camp...I find the blade sharp, smooth and very comfortable...it also performs well in MOST of my razors..

In the Fatip is did very well...IMO...WAY better than the Atra SP and nearly as comfortable and sharp as the Super Iridium. at a cost of $13.00 per 100 it is a very affordable blade and the performace was wonderful in the Fatip.....BBS shave in three passes and touch ups.

This morning I used my Fatip Grande with a Crystal (Israeli) blade. My last few shaves with my New long comb have been nick and weeper free but not so today. But, on the bright side, only two small weepers on my neck and the closest shave yet. I usually have to touch up my chin but today I couldn't even feel any stubble. I am still doing a two-pass shave until my technique improves. I like this razor!

I ordered another Grande in Nickle this time as I think the finish on the nickle Piccolo is better than the Chrome plated Grande,plus I'll have a back up just in case :lol:, hey at these prices why not.

Today I decided to try yet another blade in the fatip. Even though I only had one shave on the Astra ( and I prefer them on the second and third shave) I decided to pop in my "stand by" razor, The Supermax Super Platinum. This blade doesn't seem to get much love on B&B...if you do a search...it is pretty divided....either you LOVE this blade or you hate it...with only a few in the middle ground. I am in the LOVE camp...I find the blade sharp, smooth and very comfortable...it also performs well in MOST of my razors..

In the Fatip is did very well...IMO...WAY better than the Atra SP and nearly as comfortable and sharp as the Super Iridium. at a cost of $13.00 per 100 it is a very affordable blade and the performace was wonderful in the Fatip.....BBS shave in three passes and touch ups.
I have a new fatIp piccolo comming.My favorite blade is the Gillette black.
I have been following this thread an went from the grande to the piccolo
because I wanted more weight. I also shave my head so. The added weight
Helps a lot. Thanks for the good review it help me make my decision.

I just got in my second Fatip yesterday... This one I may customize.... See if BRW can replicate a Joris Style wooden handle. I agree with GAM.... At these prices hard not to have more than one!

Top Bottom