What's new

Four more inbound...

So I got the bug after restoring several brushes I had laying around...and now there are four more coming in.:innocent: I thought I had gotten past this phase....

$everready black butterscotch.jpg$everready.jpg$rex1.jpg$strongset1.jpg

The white one looks interesting to me. Do you know the brand? Looks like porcelain.

Yeah, I really liked it as well. It is a strongset. I have seen many of those, but typically wooden handles. I'm anxious to get my hands on it and see what it is made of.

So, got two of the handles ready for knots, the two Ever Ready brushes. I have wanted one of the black/butterscotch for a while now. The blue one is going to a buddy of mine for his birthday.

$DSCN1729.jpg$DSCN1730.jpg$DSCN1726.jpg
$DSCN1727.jpg$everready.jpg

Hate to be a one trick pony, but I am a sucker for the TGN Finest Two bands. I have two 20MM knots on the way. I thought about a super silvertip for the black and butterscotch, but i just love the firmness of the finest knots.

Hate to be a one trick pony, but I am a sucker for the TGN Finest Two bands. I have two 20MM knots on the way. I thought about a super silvertip for the black and butterscotch, but i just love the firmness of the finest knots.

+1 As much as I want to add some variety, I keep going back to the TGN Finest as my standard knot for restorations.

I have this one that I did with Grade A Silvertip:

$DSCN1736.jpg

And I actually think silvertip may be more aesthetically pleasing on the black and b-scotch, but man the finest is such a good knot! Hard to beat, and I rarely reach for this paintbrush handle, even though I lusted after it for a long time.

And here are the last two ready for knots. A buddy wanted the white strongset, so it will be his first brush once it is done..
$DSCN1747.jpg

And then, I'm not sure how it happened, but this certified somehow made it into a cart or some such thing on eBay...:001_rolle Or maybe I was trying to run up the price and got stuck with it, yeah that's the ticket.

$certified.jpg

Wow, nice work. Any tips on polishing the handles once you get the old knot out? I have two inbound for my first attempt at a restoration.

Wow, nice work. Any tips on polishing the handles once you get the old knot out? I have two inbound for my first attempt at a restoration.

After you get the handles make an assessment of what shape they are in. Are there any really deep scratches? Are they too deep to remove without changing the handle shape, etc... If they are mostly surface scratches, I would wet sand the entire handle with automotive sandpaper. I usually start with 800, then 1000 then go to 2000 grit. Get a bucket so you are sanding the entire time wet. In between each sanding stage, I use a Tack cloth to wipe the handle. Once that is done, I use a polish called crystal clear. It is used for fine jewelry and watch crystals, I purchased it from a site called "The watch prince". I use the sea sponges that were included with that product, and then buff by hand with a microfiber towel. Here is a before and after shot of the last handle I did employing this technique that has admittedly evolved over the years. I just added the tack cloth with this last restore.

View attachment 245973View attachment 245974View attachment 245975View attachment 245976

Knots should be here today to finish up the three I have in progress.

Blondie:
Thanks for the tips. Two arrived today. A nice Made in Canada cream/red rubberset and another that is not really worth any work. Not bad for .99 on the 'bay. I'll get the knot out and see if I can clean it up as per your instructions then I'll look for a knot from the states.

Alright, so the white strongset, and the blue and white ever-ready got reknotted and I sent them to my buddies for their birthdays and forgot to take a picture for you guys.:a52: Doh!

But here are the other three:

$photo 1.jpg

I already test lathered the Certifyd with the 24MM Finest Fan. Sweeeet!

$photo 2.jpg

Loving the black and butterscotch!

$photo 3.jpg

The Rex Rocket is looking good on the launchpad!

$photo 4.jpg

Sorry for the iPhone pics, wife took the camera with her today. I will post some post bloomers of the other two shortly...

Great job and great eye candy. I started to shine up my Rubberset, once I clean up the knot hole and measure it I will decide on a knot.

Top Bottom