What's new

Some questions about brush care.

So I am reading around the B&B and notice some things that I don't quite understand about brush care.

I see that some people are cleaning their brush after the shave and leaving it on the stand to dry for 2 to 3 days. Is this really necessary? My brush can easily see 1 to 2 uses a day.

Brush cleaning, how and how often should I do this? As of right now I usually just clean my brush once a month, but I make sure the brush has no soap residue after each shave. I just swish my brush in water and keep repeating till the water is clear.

Thanks for clarifying this up gents.

So I am reading around the B&B and notice some things that I don't quite understand about brush care.

I see that some people are cleaning their brush after the shave and leaving it on the stand to dry for 2 to 3 days. Is this really necessary? My brush can easily see 1 to 2 uses a day.

Brush cleaning, how and how often should I do this? As of right now I usually just clean my brush once a month, but I make sure the brush has no soap residue after each shave. I just swish my brush in water and keep repeating till the water is clear.

Thanks for clarifying this up gents.

1 to 2 uses per day???? is this for yourself or are you sharing it? i let my brushes dry a full 24hrs before the next use (give or take exact shave time).

i clean my brushes when they get a white soap ring at the base, otherwise they just get rinsed out with warm water and shook dry after each use.

the ones i can hang dry, hang...the ones that don't fit in my hanger, just sit upright to dry.

Hi Bellac,

lot's of good advice can be found here :
http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/education/shaving-brush-basics.html

In general getting the soap / cream out of the brush as thoroughly as possible, not using too hot water and drying the brush afterwards gently on a towel should be everything you need to follow. For air drying it's important that the brush has some ventilated open space around it. I guess there a 50/50 split between hanging vs standing of brushes after use. I'm sure you can flip a coin :wink2:.
Just do never put in into a closet. If you use it again before it is completely dry or not, doesn't matter too much IMHO.

Yes my brush can easily be used twice a day; I shave my legs also hence why. See my concern then is that my brush is never really dry. In the long run, is this going to be a problem?

Hi Bellac,

lot's of good advice can be found here :
http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/education/shaving-brush-basics.html

In general getting the soap / cream out of the brush as thoroughly as possible, not using too hot water and drying the brush afterwards gently on a towel should be everything you need to follow. For air drying it's important that the brush has some ventilated open space around it. I guess there a 50/50 split between hanging vs standing of brushes after use. I'm sure you can flip a coin :wink2:.
Just do never put in into a closet. If you use it again before it is completely dry or not, doesn't matter too much IMHO.

+1

Top Bottom