What's new

Just won my first Gem Micromatic

Got this off of the Bay for $12. Not too shabby if you ask me.

$Gem Micromatic.jpg

Looks like it's in decent condition. Any ideas where to pick up SE blades or if this razor is any good?
Opinions welcome!

You can get blades at Walgreens, CVS, or RiteAid I know. Be sure to get them from the shaving section. Hardware stores have scraper blades that will fit, but you don't wanna shave with them! I've got that Gem, but haven't used it yet. I hear it is a mild shaver, but a good one. A SE like that should be held much flatter against your face. Lay it flat on your face, then tilt it up 5-10 degrees. The blades last longer and it is more forgiving that way.

I used my first GEM MM last week. its good shaver. as jbradley mentioned you can get blades in Walgreens,cvs riteaid and if you want to buy in bulk you can go to razorbladesandmore.com Today on BST there are 100+ Treet SE blades for sale if you want.

Thanks Gentleman. Last question- anyone know of the model show in the pic? I have found numerous photos of the same one, but nothing on a description.

This is variously known as "bullet-tip", or "flying wing", or "bullseye". The latter applies properly to the exact same model but only those later ones having concentric circles like a target on the cover, to remind you to keep it flat on the face.

I don't think anyone knows for absolute certain sure, but it is said (from ads etc) to have been made circa 1938 to maybe around 1947. It was the last model of Micromatic to be introduced, the earlier ones being the Open Comb (Original) and "Clog-Pruf", those fitting into the 1929 through WWII era or maybe later.

Folks will tell you this is the mildest of the three. And they're quite right if you use it like most folks do, which is at variance with Gem's insistence on keeping the angle low. If you do it like Gem says, for me at least, it is very very similar to the other two in performance. Meaning very consistent and a close shaver.

I've grown to like it. Nice and heavy, and plating (for chrome ones anyway) actually seems better or more consistent than the others. Yours looks gold, which is way cool. Biggest issue is the ergonomics of the handle, which seems to make it slip down in the hand more than the others do. I solved that on the two I use by slipping a medium-gauge O-ring of the appropriate size over the handle and down onto the groove closest to the head.

I don't know how many of you have noticed, but the twist-to-open mechanism on Micromatics is quite clever. After you've inserted a blade over the center stud, and even vaguely aligned it with the blade stops near the guard bar, you twist and the cover first closes to press down onto the top of the blade, then slides forward to nudge the blade up against the blade stops. Very slick.

BTW, be careful with the blade stops on these. I've received two MMs, fortunately part of "groups" of razors for which I paid very little, that had damaged or entirely missing stops. I think the cast stops are more fragile than the bent metal versions on the 1912s and their ilk. Not a problem ordinarily but if you have a habit of banging the razor front on a counter or dropping it, maybe.

Last edited:
A mintish chrome version arrived to me Saturday from ebay, paid $9.50. If you've already got the blades, there's no reason not to get a broad selection of other SE models considering what a pittance they're going for these days. (Saw a NOS gold BTMM with case go for $15 today.)

I tried the full "guiding eye" shave angle for its inaugural shave, but it didn't give the closeness of my other SEs. I did a full four pass with ZERO irritation, it left some stubbly patches. I'd never judge a razor by its first shave so I'll be experimenting with different angles in the future.

woodfluter said:
I don't know how many of you have noticed, but the twist-to-open mechanism on Micromatics is quite clever. After you've inserted a blade over the center stud, and even vaguely aligned it with the blade stops near the guard bar, you twist and the cover first closes to press down onto the top of the blade, then slides forward to nudge the blade up against the blade stops. Very slick.

^+1 If I got one with busted blade stops, I'll take it apart just to see how it works!

Last edited:
I tried the full "guiding eye" shave angle for its inaugural shave, but it didn't give the closeness of my other SEs. I did a full four pass with ZERO irritation, it left some stubbly patches. I'd never judge a razor by its first shave so I'll be experimenting with different angles in the future.

Just as you'd never pass judgment based on a first shave, the low-angle technique also requires refinement and will take time to get up to speed. It's not like learning to shave from scratch, but until you get the feel of it, sure you'll get stubbly patches. With a MM I get zero irritation and no uncut lawn, but that's because I've been on that low-angle kick for a while.

^+1 If I got one with busted blade stops, I'll take it apart just to see how it works!

I recently got (another) MMBT as part of a three-fer, and was cleaning it up, and over-torqued the end part a bit...lo and behold, it went past some sticking point and completely unscrewed! The end attaches to brass a rod that threads into whatever engages and actuates the little cam at the top that closes the door and slides that forward. When I re-assembled it (several times), it went back together OK. Think there's a spring washer that keeps it from unscrewing too easily.

It's not a very complicated mechanism, just elegantly simple and effective.

"Does it have a "dot" on the cover?"

Got this baby in the mail this afternoon. She's very nice, and almost zero wear. She's been blasted and cleaning with some scrubbing bubble, and is presently taking a quick bath in some barbicide right now. There is a "dot" on the cover. What does this represent?

I have 3 days growth going right now, and also got my SE gems blades today too, with some Seabuckthorn soap. About to hit the showers and then test this out.

Congrats, on your purchase. That model is the mildest of the Micro-matic family. SE blades are hard to come by in Canada, our stores do not carry them. You can order them online.

Congrats...you should love it, I know since using the 1912 and OCMM (although nothing beats 1912 IMO) I only use the DE's for my evening shave, and even then, many times I am using an SE.

Still waiting on my 1912.

Just took the GEM for a spin. The micromatic is "OK". It's a tad too mild for my face. I find the more mild the razor, the more passes needed, and the more irritation I get. So, thus far my 39C still reigns. The head position of this micromatic makes it near impossible to shave at the incorrect angle...I'll give it that. The ATG on my neck was not overly supportive of this razor. I think I need more blade exposure. Should have looked for the OCMM. The new GEM blades felt really good however.

The 1912 should arrive Monday, and we'll give it a whirl. As far as the GEM- my wife should love this for leg shaving. If not....B/S/T it goes.

Still waiting on my 1912.

Just took the GEM for a spin. The micromatic is "OK". It's a tad too mild for my face. I find the more mild the razor, the more passes needed, and the more irritation I get. So, thus far my 39C still reigns. The head position of this micromatic makes it near impossible to shave at the incorrect angle...I'll give it that. The ATG on my neck was not overly supportive of this razor. I think I need more blade exposure. Should have looked for the OCMM. The new GEM blades felt really good however.

The 1912 should arrive Monday, and we'll give it a whirl. As far as the GEM- my wife should love this for leg shaving. If not....B/S/T it goes.

Ah, just wait until that 1912 shows up. It's a beautiful shave, even in comparison to the Micromatics.

"Does it have a "dot" on the cover?"

Got this baby in the mail this afternoon. She's very nice, and almost zero wear. She's been blasted and cleaning with some scrubbing bubble, and is presently taking a quick bath in some barbicide right now. There is a "dot" on the cover. What does this represent?

I have 3 days growth going right now, and also got my SE gems blades today too, with some Seabuckthorn soap. About to hit the showers and then test this out.

The dot is the Guiding Eye, a feature on some of the Flying Wings that was supposed to help get the proper angle.

proxy.php

The STAR showed up in the mail this afternoon. Snapped a few pics after opening it....scrubbing bubbles....barbicide...etc. The audible feedback on this thing is incredible. The neighbors have roofers redoing the shingles, and the sound of my whiskers being sheared off drowned out the hammering. The other thing I will tell you is how light-weight this razor is. It almost feels like there's nothing in my hand.

It's a nice little razor, but I have a feeling I won't be keeping it. Again, a tad more aggressive/ efficient that the micromatic closed comb I received (and am now selling). The blade exposure is great, however maneuvering under one's nose with this guy is a bit of a challenge. My ultimate goal is smoother shaves, with less passes. I ended up with a 3 pass with the STAR (WTG, XTG and ATG...) but ended up reaching for the Slanthammer to clean up the leftover stubble. I will try this razor again of course, but I am coming to the conclusion that SE razors are not for me.

Thanks for reading.

Top Bottom