What's new

Linen Longevity

Has anyone noticed linen losing it's abrasivness? My edges have been a little lacking so just on a whim I switched to an unused TM linen strop before leather this morning. The difference was significant. I've been using my other TM strop for a few years or so but never really thought about replacing the linen. Does it wear out?

Not sure Kevin, but if you feel like it's worn out, sounds like a perfect candidate to turn into some sort of pasted strop.

Kevin, have you ever cleaned your linen? I have read that linen can swarf up with metal. Take strong magnet and run it up and down the linen to remove any metal filings.

That said, I have noticed the linen component on one of my strops feeling more smooth, since it is older.

Simple solution.....Flip the linen around to the side facing the strop. I too have heard linen can swarf with metal and I probably need to run a magnet up mine to see. Have a couple rare earth magnets around that could do the trip I imagine.

Thanks for the ideas. It only makes sense it would eventually load up. I'll probably just use the other side. It's one of those things I use every day but don't think much about. I guess I underestimated it's importance in the process.

i like the feel of well used linen if it's not loaded up with trash. i have one vintage linen that is worn thru on the edges and it is my fav. it is thin and very flexible, works great.

Top Bottom