What's new

Benefits of an Aftershave Splash

Hi All,

Seeing lots of people who really like to use an aftershave splash. What are the benefits of using a splash as opposed to an aftershave cream or balm?

I'm fairly new to, and I'm sure some of the vets will be around here shortly to help. Just wanted to add some of the things I've noticed. Just to let you know I've only used splashes. One of the reasons I've noticed is your skin type. It seems the people with oily faces are drawn more to the splashes, and the people with drier skin like the balms/creams/waxes. This is just my observation though. Also, it seems most of the splashes contain alcohol and some people just don't like the burn of the alcohol. Once again I'm fairly new, just got my soaps down, but I am starting to look in the A/S direction now.

I'd also like to keep an eye on this thread.

If you like a refreshing sting or tingle after shaving, an alcohol based AS is for you. If you have oily skin, it will also work for you because the alcohol is drying. Some people think that it also tightens and tones the skin, so if you want that, an alcohol based AS also for you. If none of these things sound like you or work for you, then you want balms, face lotions or non-alcohol based splashes.

I have been applying after shave splash since I started shaving for antiseptic/astringent purposes.The level of the burn lets me know how good or how bad Ive shaven.Some days a splash of Skin Bracer doesnt sting at all,some days it does.I think its the menthol.I always follow with a light scented moisteriser.Aqua Velva is a great splash because it contains Glycerin to add moister.You can buy a bottle of Glycerin to add to your favorite splash.Heck,even some balms that dont have alcohol burn.Gillettes Sensitive Skin AS Balm burns me like crazy for example.

From my experience, certainly not authoritative:

Splashes
I find an alcohol-based A/S splash helps ease razor burn, albeit with sting. I like to say that you experience all the pain either way, it just compresses a day's worth of burn into a few minutes. :) Plus, as Lou Barazzo said, it helps to see where you have burn. Before I discovered the benefits of witch hazel, it was my go-to after shave.

Since starting to shave DE I've begun using Thayer's Witch Hazel. Technically, it's an A/S splash but it's still hard for me to think of it that way. I tend to think of it as a lotion. At this point, I would give up anything else before I'd give up the witch hazel. It helps calm razor burn. It's a toner so it tightens up your skin somewhat. And, it just helps to condition the skin. My skin has improved remarkably, and I don't think anything else has contributed to that as much as the w/h.

Balms

A balm moisturizes the face so I usually only use it in the winter months. It can be a bit heavy when it's hot. Although, I've tried a few others, I've been using Nivea Sensitive After Shave balm almost exclusively for about 10 years. Nivea can get sticky during the day sometimes, but I alleviate that by applying it with wet hands on wet face. For some reason, mixing it with water helps.

Sequence
!!This works for me. YMMV!!

1. [*=1] After I rinse, I apply the witch hazel to every bit of exposed skin from the neckline upwards and let it dry as I take care of other things. I apply it to my forehead, ears, neck, etc. because I figure it doesn't make sense for my beard area to look really good and the rest of my face not to .
    [*=1]If I'm using an alcohol-based splash, I put it on the beard area only and let dry. By this time I'm getting dressed, etc.
    [*=1]If I'm using the balm, I add it last, usually after I'm dressed. Once again apply it to everything, nice and wet.

I like the way aftershaves feel and smell, and the antiseptic part is a bonus.

I tried two different balms, and my skin disagreed with them.

From my experience, certainly not authoritative:

Splashes
I find an alcohol-based A/S splash helps ease razor burn, albeit with sting. I like to say that you experience all the pain either way, it just compresses a day's worth of burn into a few minutes. :) Plus, as Lou Barazzo said, it helps to see where you have burn. Before I discovered the benefits of witch hazel, it was my go-to after shave.

Since starting to shave DE I've begun using Thayer's Witch Hazel. Technically, it's an A/S splash but it's still hard for me to think of it that way. I tend to think of it as a lotion. At this point, I would give up anything else before I'd give up the witch hazel. It helps calm razor burn. It's a toner so it tightens up your skin somewhat. And, it just helps to condition the skin. My skin has improved remarkably, and I don't think anything else has contributed to that as much as the w/h.

Balms
A balm moisturizes the face so I usually only use it in the winter months. It can be a bit heavy when it's hot. Although, I've tried a few others, I've been using Nivea Sensitive After Shave balm almost exclusively for about 10 years. Nivea can get sticky during the day sometimes, but I alleviate that by applying it with wet hands on wet face. For some reason, mixing it with water helps.

Sequence
!!This works for me. YMMV!!

1. [*=1] After I rinse, I apply the witch hazel to every bit of exposed skin from the neckline upwards and let it dry as I take care of other things. I apply it to my forehead, ears, neck, etc. because I figure it doesn't make sense for my beard area to look really good and the rest of my face not to .
    [*=1]If I'm using an alcohol-based splash, I put it on the beard area only and let dry. By this time I'm getting dressed, etc.
    [*=1]If I'm using the balm, I add it last, usually after I'm dressed. Once again apply it to everything, nice and wet.

+ every 1 that I have.

Alcohol is an antiseptic. Some as splashes smell nice but aren't too strong or long lasting like colognes. If I want moisture I use a moisturizer after my as. No balms anymore.

Top Bottom