What's new

Any reviews on the Parker badger brush line?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Review Date: Mon November 22, 2010Would you recommend the product? Yes | Price you paid?: $25.88 | Rating: 8

Price: Rating 6
Moderate price for $25.88 for the Brush w/ free shipping and ‘stand’ from their Website (http://www.amazon.com/Parker-Safety-.../dp/B002ET10S6)

Quality: Rating 8
Keeping in mind it's a Pure Black Badger Hair Brush…it is altogether a very well made brush. The dark ‘tan’ / black knot is tight, dense with ‘coarse’ moderately fine hairs. The Mock Ivory handle is also well made, but, the cheaply applied ‘Parker’ stamp that has already worn-off (just use alcohol…once…trust me). But hey…it does not in any way detract away from effectiveness.

Density: Rating 8
Again, the dark ‘tan’ / black knot is (in my opinion), tight, ‘coarse’ with moderately fine and dense hair and it hasn't shed many hairs in many months of use thus far.

Stiffness of Tips: Rating 7
These tips are ‘supple’ to the touch and the large, developed ’bloom’ neatly resembles a beautiful ‘bulb’ shape which was trimmed by Parker to form the final shape of the brush loft. Compared to my Caswell-Massey (C-M), Pure Badger Brush, which has quite soft tips, the Parker is in a class by itself. ‘Stiff’ might be too strong a word, but I would classify the Parker as ‘firm’ but ‘flexible’…a pure ‘joy’ to run one’s hand through the ‘bloom’. Also, because this Brush is Black Badger (the least expensive of badger types), it gives a ‘springier’, ‘scratchier’ and ‘exfoliating’ sensation on my face which I find quite pleasing and look forward to every morning.

Softness of Tips: Rating 6
The bristles are ‘dark tan / black’, ‘coarse’ with moderately fine and quite bushy hair. The knot is made (in my opinion), to keep this Brush from being ‘soft’. With all things being ‘equal, the Parker is so much ‘firmer’ ‘and ‘springier’ than my C-M Brush.

Ergonomic: Rating 8
This Med Brush has a good sized ‘medium’ loft knot and looks even better ‘in bloom’. The Mock Ivory handle on this Brush is a ‘solid-just-the-right-size’ in view of my carpal tunnel disability in both wrists, I’ve noticed that certain brushes (and razors for that matter), are not very comfortable in my hands, but this brush is a 'dream' to use, the handle is well made and easy to hold, has good heft and I feel very 'pampered' every time I lather-up. :yesnod:

Total length of handle and knot : 4 ¼ in

Latherability: Rating 9
OMG…:a47:this Brush really generates a lot of lather. The courser texture of this Brush I find also makes it very useful for lathering shaving soap (I use VDH Deluxe Shave Soap), because of its ability to ‘work up’ the surface of the soap very easily. I believe this ‘action’ of this Brush removes my dead skin cells prior to shaving and it is particularly adept at lifting any embedded whiskers that can cause ingrown hairs and razor bumps. Water retention of this Brush ‘is-what-it-is’ for a Black Badger and with just about (give-or-take-a-few), ten (10), ‘whips’ around in Silver shaving cup... this Brush produced a rich and dense 'stiff peak' lather even though I would categorize this brush as ‘firm’, but, wow what a feeling on my face .

In closing, I really 'like' my Parker Black Badger and although I have owned this Brush for many months and that even the hair has slightly ‘soften’, however, I believe it may never be as soft on my face as higher grades of badger hair and in my opinion...it is the best Black Badger Brush for your money. :thumbsup:

My Parker Black Badger Shaving Brush Review

proxy.php
"Laughter is the [shaving] brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart." Mort Walker

Attached Image: My Parker Black Badger Brush

Attachments

• $P1010005-2.jpg
    $P1010005-2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 295
These are made in India right? By the same company that makes the razors. I've been looking for them forever now unsuccessfully where I live, strange us being neighbors and all.

I have the Best Badger version of that brush...my first brush. It's not bad..it was pretty funky smelling, but that went away with the normal cleaning routine. When I started face lathering, it started shedding - only 3-4 hairs per shave, but somewhat annoying pulling the hair out of my lathered beard. I put together a brush with a TGN knot in super silvertip, set at fairly short, and my Parker doesn't see any use anymore. The Parker seems floppy now by comparison. The best badger version will probably have more backbone, and better in that regard, if you care about floppiness. Overall, it's been a fine brush, and a good starter brush. It's works great for bowl lathering.

I've got it. It works fine for me, a relative newbie. I'd buy it again. The stand is a little small for that brush, but it works if you have nothing else. I made a stand from 1/4" oak that works and looks great.

Thanks for sharing this review of the Silvertip Parker brush. I've been eyeing this on amazon.com for some time now. Do you have the chrome handle? How does it look? Would it look nice paired with my EJde89?
I do. I think the EJ and Parker would pair very nicely together. I enjoy the color and the weight of the handle.

I have the Parker best badger with the chrome handle, and I really enjoy it. It is springy and has a very nice bit of scratchiness while generating a huge amount of lather very quickly. The one I have has the chrome bottom thingy and it gives it a weight that I really like. Solid brush.

I do. I think the EJ and Parker would pair very nicely together. I enjoy the color and the weight of the handle.

I found the Silvertip brush in chrome for $51.00 with shipping. It's from an online store though.

My local barbershop sells Parker and Edwin Jagger products. I'm going to check on the prices today for them.

I found the Silvertip brush in chrome for $51.00 with shipping. It's from an online store though.

My local barbershop sells Parker and Edwin Jagger products. I'm going to check on the prices today for them.

$51 is a great deal for this. Would you mind sharing where that might be?

I'm on my laptop right now and I saved the website on my desktop back home. When I get back from vacation, I'll hop on my PC and let you know!

These are made in India right? By the same company that makes the razors. I've been looking for them forever now unsuccessfully where I live, strange us being neighbors and all.

I've heard from Indians that many parker products are exclusively for export to the west. You might be able to get it online still.

Top Bottom