What's new

Today's shave with a Gillette Guard (a $0.30 single balde cart razor -the sacrilage!)

I was in India several months ago and went to pick up DE products avlbl. A bit of a different experience than what I expected. I should caveat that my visit was limited to Mumbai and Bangalore, so the rural or sub-urban universe might have a different story.

The, now ubiquitous, chain stores like Reliance Fresh, More, Big Bazaar etc., had extremely limited (if at all) DE blade supply. In the ones that did, the stock was sparse with Gillette wilkis and greens being the most popular, along with a sprinkling of the Gillette blacks, Topaz and SuperMax. The one shaving product that dominated the shelf space was the Gillette Guard. The look through the partially transparent package and the light weight of the razor create the impression of these being very poor quality products. But at 15 rupees (~30 cents), it was very difficult to resist the temptation and I bought one. It only took me a few months to get myself to actually shave with it though.

Prep: Shower/Zirh Clean/Anthony Logistics Pre-shave Oil
Lather: eshave Soap
Brush: Muhle Best Badger
Aftershave: Alum/Witch Hazel

After applying the copious amount of lather the soap produced, I opened the package to feel a very cheap, a tad better than disposable quality plastic razor. Broad and built well enough to provide a good grip. It had a much larger blade-casing gap than any other cartridge. All in all, I expected to draw blood and a somewhat disastrous shave.

Man, am I shocked!!! Good enough to compel me to finally post something after months.... A very smooth blade, a good pivot. Extremely smooth WTG pass. The blade felt sharp (almost like the Gillette Black), the cut was smooth with no drag. For the second pass, my confidence and expectations had increased. So I skipped the XTG pass and went straight for an ATG pass. Smooth, even in the chin area that is a difficult one for me. After splashing with warm water, I ran the alum on my face which only confirmed how good the shave was - no irritation at all. The shave was not BBS but pretty close. I would rate it a notch below the usual Gillette Super Adjustable with a Feather or Yellow - this was far superior to the shave experience using a Gillette Travel DE razor during the trip. Wish I had conducted the 'experiment' earlier. This is definitely becoming my go-to razor for travel or just for a change!

Based on my experience, both on shave quality and the success it has enjoyed in India, it leaves one pondering about Gillette's strategy.

Completly agree! Theres no cart or disposable i ever tried that come near in smooth closeness. I bought some on ebay for the area under my nose. I cant really get a good shave there with my current razors.

Day 2:

Different set up. Same result. No preshave. Arko stick produced a great amount of lather - although very 'bubbly' and "not creamy" as some say. Was in a rush, so hacked at my face for a quick 2 minute, 2 pass shave. Same result. No drag. Very smooth cut. Near BBS. I am very, very impressed.

No burn with the alum or the alcohol based aftershave that followed.

I will take it for another run tomorrow. Let's see how long this lasts.

-----------------

I was in India several months ago and went to pick up DE products avlbl. A bit of a different experience than what I expected. I should caveat that my visit was limited to Mumbai and Bangalore, so the rural or sub-urban universe might have a different story.

The, now ubiquitous, chain stores like Reliance Fresh, More, Big Bazaar etc., had extremely limited (if at all) DE blade supply. In the ones that did, the stock was sparse with Gillette wilkis and greens being the most popular, along with a sprinkling of the Gillette blacks, Topaz and SuperMax. The one shaving product that dominated the shelf space was the Gillette Guard. The look through the partially transparent package and the light weight of the razor create the impression of these being very poor quality products. But at 15 rupees (~30 cents), it was very difficult to resist the temptation and I bought one. It only took me a few months to get myself to actually shave with it though.

Prep: Shower/Zirh Clean/Anthony Logistics Pre-shave Oil
Lather: eshave Soap
Brush: Muhle Best Badger
Aftershave: Alum/Witch Hazel

After applying the copious amount of lather the soap produced, I opened the package to feel a very cheap, a tad better than disposable quality plastic razor. Broad and built well enough to provide a good grip. It had a much larger blade-casing gap than any other cartridge. All in all, I expected to draw blood and a somewhat disastrous shave.

Man, am I shocked!!! Good enough to compel me to finally post something after months.... A very smooth blade, a good pivot. Extremely smooth WTG pass. The blade felt sharp (almost like the Gillette Black), the cut was smooth with no drag. For the second pass, my confidence and expectations had increased. So I skipped the XTG pass and went straight for an ATG pass. Smooth, even in the chin area that is a difficult one for me. After splashing with warm water, I ran the alum on my face which only confirmed how good the shave was - no irritation at all. The shave was not BBS but pretty close. I would rate it a notch below the usual Gillette Super Adjustable with a Feather or Yellow - this was far superior to the shave experience using a Gillette Travel DE razor during the trip. Wish I had conducted the 'experiment' earlier. This is definitely becoming my go-to razor for travel or just for a change!

Based on my experience, both on shave quality and the success it has enjoyed in India, it leaves one pondering about Gillette's strategy.

I, too, am a believer in the Guard. It is sharp and smooth. Dead easy to use. First pass is astounding, better than any DE I own.

I think it falls behind DE in the second pass, though.

Still, a great shaver. This is now my go-to for travel or if I have to get up REALLY early in the morning. (I haven't used the Guard in about a month and a half, so it doesn't happen often. Still, it's a very good razor.)

WCS sells the Guard and replacement blades for cheap - they get good reviews, not surprising since Gillette is positioning these as a bridge between DE and cart in India...

Day 3:

Wanted to stretch the India theme out

Prep: Shower (Mysore Sandal Soap - love that fragrance)
Lather: Biotique Bio Palmyra
Brush: Park Avenue Silver (Synthetic Bristle brush) - poor choice, gave up quickly and picked up the Baxter of California 'badger' brush
Aftershave: Alum, Shulton Old Spice (India)

Still working great. Smooth cut. No drag. 2 passes. WTG and ATG were both smooth. I also buffed and got a BBS! Who would have thought that's possible? Certainly not me.

No sting with the alum or the Old Spice. I will continue until I sense some drag. This is great since the replacement blades only cost 10 cents in India. Perhaps a stock up is in order when I am there next.

On an entirely different note: The Park Avenue Silver Brush - It comes well packed in a nice plastic case (more like a bottle with cap). The brush itself is horrendous if you are used to nice badger/boar/good quality brushes. However, the case is great to store your nicer brushes in, especially for travel.

Day 4:

Prep: Shower, Kyoku elec pre-shave
Lather: Nivea Mild Cream
Brush: Muhle
Aftershave: Alum, Arko AS Cream

There is certainly some pull, no drag yet. Did not have much of growth (perhaps the BBS from yesterday). Still did a 2 pass (WTG, ATG) and buffed for another BBS.

No sting yet. But signs are it is not going to last long. In any case, thus far managed 8 passes and 2 buffs ... not bad for a single edge cart.

I bought a bunch of these on the bay today. I will mostly use them when I am out in the field or as a razor to keep in my military uniform to give out to those who skip shaving in the morning and need to get back in regulation (sometimes its me to lol). I don`t see this as something that is going to completely convert DE users here in the US though or kill the DE razor like alot of people are saying on their DOOM websites. I shave with a DE because I want to and its more comfortable for me, not because I have to and even so blades are way cheaper than mach 3 blades.

Totally agree, but this experiment has been a lot of fun because it turned out to be much better than expectations. But as with any blade/razor YMMV.

I think it is certainly converting a great many people in Urban India. I don't think it is shaveocalypse but it is certainly gaining in popularity.

Day 5:
Prep: Shower
Lather: TBS Maca Root
Brush: Baxter
Aftershave: Alum, Zegna A/S lotion

This would be the last shave from the blade. Considerable pull. Although, I managed to get a BBS, the alum run showed a great amount of sting/burn.

Final result: 10 passes, 3 buffs. It is definitely my choice for short trips. I wouldn't mind if it gets damaged/lost. Cheap yet gives a pretty good shave. Now, back to my favorite Gillette Adjustable and the feathers/yellows.

I bought 3 Gillette Guards at $2 a piece and 20 blades at 50 cents a piece from West coast Shaving. I keep one in the shower to shave the back of my neck and it's a good shaver. Would definitely consider for my travel razor. My wife also uses it for her legs.

Top Bottom