What's new

Shavette Question

Hi guys - Would any of you recommend trying a shavette as a bit of a tester for/segue into straights? I realize there are plenty of differences but how do they compare to those who have used both? I'm not quite sure I want to throw down the cash for all of the gear needed to properly maintain a straight but would like to try my hand at it.

Cheers,

N/P

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
A shavette will give you a good taste of what straight shaving is all about. Some people love em, some people hate em. I love them and get good shaves so matter what I use.

That being said, the extreme sharpness of the DE blade and the lightness of the shaving head can make it pretty sketchy for first time users...YMMV. This has been argued over a lot, try do a search and see what the hub bub is all about :)

It'll give you an idea, if you're going to like a straight. But they are quite different. A Weck SE style shavette is closer to a straight than most DE style shavettes (Parker, Sanguine, Dovo, etc.)

But if you like a shavette, you'll love a straight. They are easier, more forgiving, and give a better shave. YMMV

Nothing at all wrong with a shavette. If you're going to go that route for now get one of the Parker's. Any of them are inexpensive, well made, and can be had for around $20 bucks with a good supply of Shark blades.

I started with the Dovo Shavette.....for about 5 shaves and then....RAD! still have the shavette and use it for travel from time to time but it is a MUCH harsher shave, IME, than a traditional straight! i also will use it every now and again to touch up the lines on my gotee if im not doing a full shave!

I bought a Parker Shavette to test the SR waters as well. I love it, and it has helped me learn technique, and learn that I do like the feel of a straight. It's a great razor!

Hey N/P, send me your address via PM and I'll send you a like-new in the box Parker shavette when I'm back home next week. You can try it out and use it until you've converted, at which time send it on to someone else new. Deal? I got it, sort of free, with a regular straight I bought so I'm happy to put it to use.

You have to be dedicated and willing to pay a daily blood-sacrifice - I used one exclusively for 3 months when starting traditional wet shaving and I threw out my Fusion to make it easier on myself.

A true straight razor is much more forgiving and easier to use, but requires maintenance. If I was to rate how much I enjoyed each type, the Fusion was 1/10, the shavette was 3/10 and true straights are 10/10.

Well, rather than bring up another thread I'll piggyback on this one.

Used a Parker SR1 yesterday - scared as heck after reading all about people's experiences - honestly, when I was done I had less nicks and weepers than using a Tech DE - odd... Wasn't uber-smooth, but next time I'll try a bit more.

Variety is the spice of life - I would say if I managed it, it can't be that hard!

Not having a really hairy face made it easier! So maybe this could be a regular part of my rotation now?

One of the easiest decisions with a shavette like a parker is that they use the same blades as a DE, so no harm if it doesn't work out for you.

I, for one, am excited to try it again!

Dave

Top Bottom