What's new

Something a little different: CD&B in mora with a floating dovetail wedge

So, Hillbilly sends me this incredible, enormous smiling wedge by a maker I was previously unfamiliar with: Corsan Denton & Burdekin, Sheffield.

It's an insanely cool looking wedge. I told Savalis I would put some cool looking scales on it for him, and he left it to my discretion. In fact, I was supposed to ship it back to him first so he could be surprised before posting these pics, but he's apparently as impatient as I am, cause now he wants to see pics.

Anyway, this one was a challenge because the blades tang is asymmetrically ground. Pretty badly actually, so it required some funky shimming with washers to get it to close straight. It's still not perfect either.

Anyway, on to the scales. The wood is Mora - I love it for the heavy grain and chocolate brown color. The wedge is a non-wedge. Since I'm a woodworker hobbyist, I love jointery, so I decided to do two floating dovetails instead of a wedge and pin. The dovetails are through dovetails, and they serve as the wedge at the same time, so there's a neat gap there at the toe end of the scales. The dovetails are maple for contrast. There are three "jimps" as well in the top of the scales. They're there mostly for aesthetic reasons - I just liked the way it looked.

The CDB had an enormous hole in the tang already, so I was able to use a knife pivot stainless torx fastener setup for it rather than a traditional pin. The heads are counter sunk just slightly.

So there you have it. I want to rub out the finish a little more (french polish style shellac) and play with the centering some to see if I can get it better, but otherwise it's done.

Without further adieu:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I hope you all enjoy it. Some day I'm going to own that blade... That is, if I can convince Savalis to sell it to me.

Jeff

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Very innovative wedge work! Keeping the wedge side open vs dropping a conventional wedge in and dove tailing in the pins was a good call :smile:.

OOh man!!! Im glad you posted pics for me. If I had opend that In the mal I would have lost control of my bladder, fainted and drowned! Thank you thank you!!!!

Love the dovetail!

Instead of washers, you can sand the inside of one of the scales at an angle to correct for the tang.

Love the dovetail!

Instead of washers, you can sand the inside of one of the scales at an angle to correct for the tang.

Yeah, not on this one... The grind is asymmetrical on two planes... From the heel to the tail, And from the spine to the blade... It's really funky. I need to make a tapered washer for it.

Legion

Staff member
Fantastic idea on that wedge. Damn, there is some cool stuff being done by you guys lately.

Thanks for the complements everyone... Hand cut dovetails are certainly a challenge, but on a piece like this they're really not that bad. I have another floating dovetail razor I'm finishing up now. It's got some seriously sweet scales - Leopardwood that Paco sent me a few months back. Working on the french polish now.

I should have pulled this off for my Gold Dollar comp razor... Woulda looked cool on that one for sure.

Top Bottom