What's new

Spotlight Fragrance: March - Parfums de Nicolai, New York & Caron, Third Man

Welcome to March Spotlight in the Fragrance forum

Use this thread to discuss the March 2012 picks:

1) Parfums de Nicolai - NEW YORK

$31316.jpg

Notes from Lucky Scent:
bergamot, Sicilian lemon, cloves, thyme, cinnamon, black pepper, pimento, oak moss, vetiver, amber

Herald Perfume critic and connoisseur Luca Turin gives NEW YORK his highest praise exclaiming "Reader, I wore this for 10 Years"

The write up from LS can be found here, however i'd prefer to quote a couple of the reviews in the space below:
"Incredibly suave, smooth, nuanced, refined and leaning towards the masculine. Handsome like no modern masculine is handsome. Nicolai fragrances are blended with supreme elegance for supreme uniqueness; they make department store fragrances seem like AXE by comparison. I know New York is the suggested locale here, but this fragrance smells somehow Asian to me... like tatami flooring and bamboo buildings, or reedy, like a fine Panama hat. A man could wear it informally, but in a tux or costly suit is where NEW YORK belongs. Has a "James Bond" kind of ultra-suaveness... sure to be swoonworthy to women who buy it for their men."

"I ordered a number of samples from this site, and this is the first one I tried. It wasn't love at first sniff, as New York seemed a bit too traditional for my modern aesthetic, but as the day wore on the scent grew on me until six hours later I found myself sitting in a chair with my nose buried in my wrists, waving away anyone who looked like they might want to start a conversation. This is really good stuff, expertly balanced. It's vanilla and dry wood, a touch of citrus flowers and incense smoke, clean leather and burnt sugar. It smells like good whiskey with a splash of Drambuie. It feints and thrusts and parries throughout the day without ever going overboard. I don't agree (at all) with the reviewer who said it smells like Old Spice. This is a more sophisticated fragrance of corner offices, conference calls, power lunches and leather upholstered bars whose glowing shelves are lined with bottles of single malt scotch. A classic."

2) Caron- Third Man

$o.10026.jpg

Notes:
Lemon, bergamot, clove, lavender, coriander, vetiver, oak moss

From LuckyScent:
In 1985, Caron brings all its skills as a perfumer with the creation of its third men’s fragrance: Le 3e Homme de Caron. Inspired by Carol Reed’s legendary film and Orson Welles’ character Harry Lime, “The Third Man” blends zesty fruits like Sicilian mandarin and lemon with fresh floral scents of lavender. The inclusion of exotic fruits with fresh floral notes makes this an innovation in men’s fragrance. The 3e Homme is ideal for the intellectual, cultivated, and open-minded man.

Make no mistake, this fragrance is a masculine floral grounded in Lavender. Traditional? Perhaps... Exquisite? with out a doubt! Don't make the mistake of missing out on this one, It has a uniqueness and a niche simplicity that is to marval at. If you'd like to compare notes, also pick up Parfums de Nicolai's, Pour Homme, for a perhaps higher quality take on the gentlemans masculine lavender.

Of course, feel free to jump into the discussion from previous months
January
February

And without a doubt, include your wearings in the Fragrance Scent of the day thread!

Last edited:
Wearing the Caron 3rd Man for the first time today. Initial sniff was unimpressive. Smelled like....cologne? Generic cologne? Five minutes in and it starts to settle into a nice warm smell. I get a little of the citrus but not a bright citrus, more of a mulled spices citrus, if that makes any sense. An hour later now and the scent is fading significantly. Not a bad smell but restrained. I used one on the wrist and one on the neck and I feel fine going to work like this. It will be interesting to see how this progresses through the day. I can sense a bit of the tie to PdN New York but I enjoyed that scent's progression much much more. Hmmm.....have I mentioned how awesome this scents of the month things is.... :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

I'm wearing PdN NY today, and last night. It is hard to characterize. When I first spray it on I get a strong lemony blast and then for the next 30 minutes it smells very green, like galbanum. I don't know what that is since nothing strongly green is listed in the pyramid but it is very strong to my nose. After that fades it's a powdery nice scent. It seems so well blended I can't really pick out anything to describe. It just has its own scent, I keep catching whiffs of it all day and every time it's a little different, closest description is that its a citrusy amber, someone described a sort of creamsicle scent which seems close. It reminds me of a lot of other perfumes, people compare it to habit rouge which makes sense, its a powdery french style cologne. I also think it smells like the female rive gauche...I will definitely have to wear this many more times to get a handle on it. So far I can say I do like it, I'm not wowed by it but it is a very nice, interesting, well blended scent. Good to wear to work and smell clean and refined without offending anyone.

Tomorrow i'll dig out my 3rd man decant and give that a go, it's been a while so it'll be interesting to see how it smells to me now.

So it seems people are not excited by march's offerings?

I'm wearing 3rd man today. I got a sample a while ago since it's a classic and I've worn it a couple times over the months but have never really gotten a good impression from it. Everyone talks about the lavender but I hardly smell any. To me it smells like a woody floral. I would think it was an ok scent but there is something that bothers me in there. The same thing i find off in azzaro PH. Theres a dusty candle wax sort of note which I don't appreciate. I am tempted to think it is geranium since that note is prominent in both fragrances. I'd like to give a more in depth review but that off note sticks in my nose and keeps me from appreciating the rest of the fragrance. I might try it a few more times and see if my impression changes but from what I smell so far I have to give this a thumbs down...PdN NY was vastly more enjoyable.

Third Man is a masterpiece, IMO. Definitely my favorite fragrance. There is so much going on in it. Wear it for a week and see if you don't smell different things every day. I certainly do. For longevity issues, I suggest two sprays to each shoulder of your shirt. I am able to catch whiffs of it for hours after.

I think New York wins hands down. A scent so complex yet so accessible and appealing is a rare thing. Third Man is nice but to my nose it has a tad too much juniper.

Now that I have my sense of smell back, I can enjoy all the wonderful frags out there! And, I must say that Third Man is among the best!

I wore the Third Man again today. I love the subtle soapy-ness that it has. But then again, I also love that dirty patchouli/musk combo in the base. The clove and cedar play off of one another quite nicely, and the amber note makes itself known if you look for it. Funny, I have a hard time picking out the lavender that everyone seems to catch in it.

Whoever said it was "too lovely for this world" hit the nail on the head. That's just my opinion, of course.

Wore both today for comparison. From the opening to about the first two hours, while the scents are similar, there is no way you could confuse the two. PdN opens with a smooth citrus, amber, and vanilla that oozes sophistication and class. The opening of Third Man has a similar citrus opening, but is harsher, louder. After about two hours though, the Third Man tones down considerably and the PdN - New York and Third man begin to smell more and more similar. After about 6 hours, the two are nearly identical to my nose. Third Man scores higher for silage, and New York scores higher for overall scent. As far as I can tell, they both have the same longevity with 8+ hours on me. You can't lose with either one.

I've worn both the 3rd Man and PdN this month. I think both are nice, and wear well at work or for a night out. I like the PdN a little better. It seems a little more "classy," and reminds me a little of Chanel Pour Monsieur. I will continue to use both, but probably won't pick up a bottle of either.

Top Bottom