What's new

DE to Straight

Well I am proud to say that I have made the switch to Straight Razors. I just bought a Tom Keen Wedge from the wonderful BST forum of B&B and the Poor Man's Strop Kit. As soon as everything arrives I will post my experiences on my first straight shave. As always comments, suggestions, tips, constructive criticism, etc. is always welcome.

Wish you the best! :thumbup1:

P.S. Don't emulate me and drop the razor while stropping and nick the very tip ... had to have it rehoned - 2 month old DOVO.

P.S.S. At least I wasn't dumb enough to try and grab that falling blade ... and yes, for safety, I always wear pants using a straight! :scared:

Good luck, go slow and easy with the straight.

Try using your DE for the first pass, and your straight for the second and any cleanup passes. Having removed the bulk of your beard first will allow a smoother straight pass, and help you perfect your technique with the straight.

First of all, congratulations in being able to translate hillbilly's gibberish. I took a look at that thread and came to the conclusion that he was typing with his toes. By the time I figured that out, they were all sold and I was starting to really covet the engels. :wink2:

In all seriousness, you picked up a nice razor. Also, I'm assuming hillbilly's honing it for you so you're going to get a razor with a keen edge which is key. Don't be too afraid - shaking hands aren't going to help.

Also, don't be surprised that it feels like it's not cutting and you feel like you got a bum razor. Most of us have felt that at first. You'll find that the blade is only as sharp as your technique and after a week or so it'll feel like it's magically sharper.

Well Done!

I've just started on the straight shaving path, and can tell this is going to be a challenge. stick with it, it's not as hard as you might think!

I de'd for 2.5 years before I woke up one morning..and felt "I need more of a challenge"..im bored..lol..straights razor glory for me

Top Bottom