What's new

Any Savile Row fans in here?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If I lived in London ... or anywhere in England really ... and was rich, I'd be all over that like a (well-tailored) dirty shirt.

If I lived in London ... or anywhere in England really ... and was rich, I'd be all over that like a (well-tailored) dirty shirt.

+1 (except the Living in the UK. I already live there. I only qualify for the needing to be rich part)

My father gave me his old Gieves and Hawkes double breasted blue pinstripe suit from the 80's. I took it back to G&H and had it taken in. They commented on the quality of the build, saying that their newer off the peg suits weren't of the same quality. The suit is beautiful, and I hope some day to be able to buy another. With kids on the horizon I seriously doubt that'll be happening soon.:sad:

I catch the guys as they come through on their trunk shows in DC.

How does it work being in the US. Do you have a single consultation and take measurements or do you get multiple fittings? Time frame?

If it's your first go round, it takes a few fittings. First appointment gets measurements and you spec what you want, then first fitting is checked out at the next appt, then a second fitting to polish it off. They will drop the finished piece in the mail a few weeks later to you. They guys usually come through a few times a year, so my first suit took about 10 mos total. From then on out, your pattern is established, and you go right to the second fitting. So around a month for the rest.

I highly recommend anyone who has not done a bespoke piece to give it a whirl, even if it's not a house from the Row, which is obviously a really big investment. It is shocking how much better a custom made garment looks on you.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
How does it work being in the US. Do you have a single consultation and take measurements or do you get multiple fittings? Time frame?

Generally (as I understand) they do two fittings rather than the standard "I live in London" three. I suppose you can do a third if you want to, but that can really drag out the timeline (and no doubt add to the cost). You are basically on the timeline of how often the tailoring house sends its crew to your nearby city.

IF you find a Row tailor you want a suit from, see what their North American schedule is like. See if you can live with that. If not, look for another Row tailor you are interested in, and ask ditto.

Lol. Yeah, not cheap, but I am hooked. I catch the guys as they come through on their trunk shows in DC.

Where in DC do they have their trunk shows? And do they have an email list for future shows? I need a tuxedo in 6 months and was thinking about having a navy tux with shawl collar made.

Where in DC do they have their trunk shows? And do they have an email list for future shows? I need a tuxedo in 6 months and was thinking about having a navy tux with shawl collar made.

Usually each house has a hotel they prefer, and reserve a suite for fittings and such. Most have schedules on their website, or you could drop them an email.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I doubt that you can get through the whole thing in 6 months. The impression I get is it's a year or more from start to finish ... and the start depends on when the first visit of the tailor to North America is ... which could be half a year away. I'd suggest checking with a local tailor whose shop you can drop by any time for the next fitting.

(Correction ... I just checked, for reference, Henry Poole ... here's their US travel schedule ... looks like they are in DC in March, May and June ... maybe they can do you up a Tux in that time? Worth asking. Bring a big pile of money.)

I doubt that you can get through the whole thing in 6 months. The impression I get is it's a year or more from start to finish ... and the start depends on when the first visit of the tailor to North America is ... which could be half a year away. I'd suggest checking with a local tailor whose shop you can drop by any time for the next fitting.

(Correction ... I just checked, for reference, Henry Poole ... here's their US travel schedule ... looks like they are in DC in March, May and June ... maybe they can do you up a Tux in that time? Worth asking. Bring a big pile of money.)

As I mentioned, it was a 10 month process the first Poole suit I had done. Depending on how the timing lines up, you may be able to have a tux done by July if you pop in next week when they are here. I will be there!

That documentary is very interesting and I certainly want to support a historically existing business over a global corporation, especially in this case where we are comparing Chinese mass market junk to extreme high quality. That's the free market though, most people don't want quality they want cheap and they want to fit in. It's a shame but it's reality and it's about time the world realized that it's the fault of the financially empowered ignorant masses that most 1st world countries are comprised of, and not an "American" phenomenon when soulless blended vanilla generic replaces unique cultural beauty.

And honestly, Abercrombie and Fitch, at least where I live, is almost exclusively a product for boys under the age of 17 and for young women up to maybe 20 years old. If that shop is successful, blame the parents!

As I mentioned, it was a 10 month process the first Poole suit I had done. Depending on how the timing lines up, you may be able to have a tux done by July if you pop in next week when they are here. I will be there!

I've never heard of Henry Poole...I assume the quality is good since you keep going back?

I talked to my tailor yesterday and he indicated that he could make a tux but it would be very expensive because of the cost of the satin. Since he would have to buy a large amount and could not spread out the costs between other suits.

I've never heard of Henry Poole...I assume the quality is good since you keep going back?

I talked to my tailor yesterday and he indicated that he could make a tux but it would be very expensive because of the cost of the satin. Since he would have to buy a large amount and could not spread out the costs between other suits.

Poole is recognized the "founder" of Savile Row as a tailoring mecca. They also happen to be the creators of the Tux as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Poole_%26_Co

http://www.henrypoole.com/

Yes, the quality is as good as any in the world, I can highly recommend!

Top Bottom