What's new

Any Savile Row fans in here?

This is one of those threads that I swing through and I almost instantly regret.... not b/c it's not fantastic info, but b/c these are the threads that beget AD :scared:

I'm curios though how you get a bespoke suit when they are only in town on a trunk show. I've never purchased a bespoke garment but my understanding is they typically require multiple fittings, no? Do you just wait until the next time they're in town? I have to think that is a drawn out process.

I'm curios though how you get a bespoke suit when they are only in town on a trunk show. I've never purchased a bespoke garment but my understanding is they typically require multiple fittings, no? Do you just wait until the next time they're in town? I have to think that is a drawn out process.

That's exactly it. It is pretty drawn out the first time, as you usually get two basted fittings and then a final fit check, but as your pattern gets refined, it's usually one fitting and then finish (obviously you can get as many fittings as you wish though). The first suit I got took ten months (April, June and October fittings). Thereafter, it depends on several factors. If you go to a trunk show and order from a fabric book, it's about 6 months give or take depending on their visit schedule. If you ask for fabric samples and call in an order, it can be as quick as two months.

I happen to go to London a bit as well, so it cuts the time further in those cases. It may seem a lot, but if it's something you value the product is more than worth it. The other advice I'd give though is if it isn't something that matters to you, it's a staggering waste of money.

And as an aside, the experience is superlative if you get on with your tailor. I really enjoy just shooting the breeze with the guys and the whole program.

If you have the coin & have one bespoke suit made, you will never go back unless your finances go south. I don't have the vocabulary to explain how you will feel. These suits last forever. They are worth every dime you pay. The downsides are its time consuming, expensive but the finished product is something else.

Does your pattern change much over time? My size/shape changes too much to drop this kind of coin

It would have to be a huge shift. I lost 30+ lbs, and they did have to re-do my jacket pattern. But they altered my jackets and waistcoats, and was totally good to go. They build in a certain amount of fabric for going up or down in size as well in every garment. Obviously 30 lbs up probably wouldn't fly though.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I guess having a closet with a dozen perfectly-fitting Savile Row suits in it would be a good motivation to not gain those thirty pounds.

:wink2:

That could be a new weigtloss plan ... "drop fifteen pounds and four thousand guineas."

My challenge is my fluctuations tend to be in measurements that are very difficult to alter. For me, it's less about a shift in my belly, and more about the girth of my arms or how broad my shoulders are. I was once much more muscular than I am now and tend to "re-inflate" fairly quickly when I commit myself to the gym. To quantify it a bit, I'm 5'9" and have been as large as ~210lbs and as small as ~165lbs. I've bounced around a bit in that range and, as a result, I've had to replace my suit wardrobe twice in the last 10yrs (not all at one time).

Graham, there was an article about Tom Pendry of Henry Poole in yesterday's Daily Mirror. I can't find the article online but here's a pic of it from their twitter page.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 92
^ Saw that come across my twitter feed as well. Pretty interesting story of farmer to tailor!

I have seen him in the shop but haven't spoken with him before.

I'm waiting on my first suit from Richard Anderson. any Savile Row tailor will work with you on timing and visits. Also, there are a lot of great bespoke tailors in London, not just on the Row. They use the same great fabrics and often apprenticed for one of the big houses.

Graham,

Have you ever had any experience with MacKenzie's on Piccadilly? Last week, I stopped in and long story short, they showed me a beautiful bespoke tweed jacket that they were doing in-house, and the price they quoted me to do the same was insanely low. And they would have down two fittings a week apart. I ended up not proceeding because the salesman/owner was so pushy, but it certainly piqued my interest.

I haven't. I am certainly averse to a pushy sales guy, that's definitely not why I'm at the tailor, but not surprised to hear about it in the Piccadilly area! I would not discount them just for being in Piccadilly though.

Top Bottom