What's new

New Brush Prep-Necessary?

I'm reading on here and elsewhere about giving new brushes a shampoo or wash in dish washing detergent first to get rid of the funk. Is this necessary? I've got a small (and growing) collection of brushes and I've been skipping the wash part and just start right away hand or bowl lathering several times + drying cycles before I finally use them on my face. I did about 5 lathers/dries with my Semogue boar before finally using. Is my method also sound?

Personally I feel that something like dish detergent or even shampoo would be a little harsh and could even remove natural oils from the bristles? Dawn for example really degreases-I use that to clean some very greasy pots + pans as well as bicycle grease, wood finish etc from my hands.
I would definitely clean a used brush before using, however.

I'm probably wayy overthinking this but that is sometimes part of the fun w/ hobbies :001_smile

Last edited:
depends on if you dig the new brush funk, I doubt you do. If you are worried about stripping the brush, use animal shampoo!

Ditto.
Never noticed a funky smell on any of my new brushes, so I just lather them up and let them sit overnight, then rinse and they're fully bloomed and ready to rock.

Most of my new brushes have had some level of funk, though small in most cases. I usually use pet shampoo as it is hair... or if it is a bit more funky I'll use the technique I've seen on here where you lather, let it sit overnight and then rinse in the morning.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have never had a brush, or knot - and I have handled hundreds of knots - that had a funky smell. All my brushes get their first lather in the hand with a nice scented soap (I like to use a sandalwood soap) and then they get used. I have never noticed any funk smell on a wet brush either. So, in short, there is no need for the often recommended overnight soak, and I have also seen a couple of brushes that were harmed by this soaking method - do not do this with any natural materials (horn, ivory, wood or else).

I have never had a brush, or knot - and I have handled hundreds of knots - that had a funky smell. All my brushes get their first lather in the hand with a nice scented soap (I like to use a sandalwood soap) and then they get used. I have never noticed any funk smell on a wet brush either. So, in short, there is no need for the often recommended overnight soak, and I have also seen a couple of brushes that were harmed by this soaking method - do not do this with any natural materials (horn, ivory, wood or else).

+1 Good advice Rudy

YES, DEFINITELY!!!

And here is what to do:

1. Wet brush
2. In a backwards and forwards motion move the tips of your brush across the surface of your favourite shaving soap.
3. Take the loaded brush to your face and mimic the movements in step 2 (but this time on your face, taking precaution to avoid your eyes, as you'll need them for step 4).
4. Take your favourite DE and set about diminishing unwanted facial hair.

PLEASE NOTE: Steps 1 through 4 work best when one finds themselves marvellously hairy about the face...

Cool! advice from a brush pro! Thanks for the response, Rudy, and also affirming my methods :001_smile. In my limited experience-I haven't come across a stinky enough brush yet, that commanded a more extreme defunking than a couple of test lathers.

I'm reading on here and elsewhere about giving new brushes a shampoo or wash in dish washing detergent first to get rid of the funk. Is this necessary? I've got a small (and growing) collection of brushes and I've been skipping the wash part and just start right away hand or bowl lathering several times + drying cycles before I finally use them on my face. I did about 5 lathers/dries with my Semogue boar before finally using. Is my method also sound?

Personally I feel that something like dish detergent or even shampoo would be a little harsh and could even remove natural oils from the bristles? Dawn for example really degreases-I use that to clean some very greasy pots + pans as well as bicycle grease, wood finish etc from my hands.
I would definitely clean a used brush before using, however.

I'm probably wayy overthinking this but that is sometimes part of the fun w/ hobbies :001_smile

If dish detergent or shampoo are too harsh for your brushes, what do you think they'll do to your hair and skin?

IMO, unless having a really funky badger, I don't see any reason to use this kind of soaking overnight, etc. It's not about the detergent or the shampoo causing anything to the bristles but the water which can damage some types of handles like wood for example. Even in that case, making some test lather a few times using strong scented cream solves all of the mentioned 'stinky' problems. Shampoo, mild detergent, Borax can be used from time to time for cleaning the hair but it's not needed for a new typically sterilized brush.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I've never precleaned or test lathered any of my new, or used, brushes. I just jump right in and use them to shave. Never had a brush with even a faint funk (maybe I'm just lucky). Your brush shouldn't have any natural oils left in them after the manufacturer's processing regimen, and even if they did, any normal soap shave soap should get rid if them. When I do occasionally clean my brushes, I just soap them up with a bit of Dawn, work it well into the hairs, rinse well and let dry. I never leave it sitting overnight with soap in it, although I doubt it hurts; I also don't believe it really helps much if at all.

I've only had 4 brushes, 3 were fine and one had an awful smell. Now more than 6 months and many, many shaves later, it still smells some when wet. I've tried shampoo, vinegar, etc. (note: I don't "soak" brush for longer that 20 mins, and not up to the handle) but it's going to take more time. It's a great brush, Omega 49 and the one I got for my son from the same vendor had no smell at all. It is annoying as it definitely detracts from one of the nice things about using soaps and creams with a brush.

So, to address the OP ... it depends on the brush. I wish I had an answer for my stinky boar.

Right after a new brush arrives I soak it Dawn dish soap and water for a few minutes, rise well, then make a test lather with MWF SS and let brush dry with lather in place. Next day I rinse, soak a couple of minutes in warm water and use it to shave. This works for me (pretty sure I read about letting it dry overnight with lather here in the Forum)

I usually shampoo and rinse a brush two or three times. Except for the VdH boar, my Semogue and Omega stunk until a number of uses. My badgers, not so much.

I've had one horrible stinker of a brush, didn't do anything special beyond use it for a week straight. The first few uses were pretty rank, but the scent died out relatively quickly

Top Bottom