What's new

Mystic Water Soap Review & Lathering Videos

As many have posted recently, I too received some shaving soap samples from Michelle (eyebright) at Mystic Water Soap, to test out. She asked for feedback, which I provided via PM, but I also wanted to let you all know about my experience with this soap.

The Quality of the soap is amazing. It is far beyond anything I would expect from an artisan soap maker. The lather is thick, stable, provides good cushion, and one of it's best traits... it is slick, very slick. There is something in it that coats your skin, in a good way, in that after a pass, your skin is still slick. You can actually go over an area a couple times if need be with no ill effects. I did it this morning with a straight razor. I wouldn't get away with that with other soaps. And that slickness rinses off easily when you're done. I suspect that comes from the Shea Butter, but I don't know enough about soap to say for sure. It works equally well either face or mug lathering. And after I'm done, my skin feels great, not dry. I can't say that about a lot of soaps. This is seriously one of the best soaps I have ever tried, Ever!

As for scents, she has some great ones in the works. Some of the ones she sent me that I love are: Lilly of the Valley (Awesome!), Coconut, Lime/Lavender (sounds like a wierd combo, but it works and is my favorite of the samples), and a Mint w/menthol (Very cold and great!).

I had been contemplating doing a lathering video recently, and then I read that a couple people were having troubles lathering MW soap (only a couple, most have had the same experience I've had). That spurred me to make a couple quick videos. Before we get to that, if people are having troubles with this soap, I see two possible reasons why. Not enough time loading (20-30 seconds works great), or too much water. It doesn't take much water at all, as you will see in my videos. However, in my lst video, I still feel like I could have added a tiny bit more water to get the lather to explode a bit more, but I do prefer my lather on the thicker side.

Now, these are my first tutorial videos so go easy on me.

The second one, for some strange reason the audio is off by like half a second, but you'll still get the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheVez2 that was a great demonstration, just want to know how the soap is in terms of moisturizing your skin. I just got a couple of orders in of RazoRock Soap, but I will keep my eye on Mystic Water and wait when she has more scents to choose from.

just want to know how the soap is in terms of moisturizing your skin.
As mentioned above it is great for your skin, no drying at all. It has shea butter, aloe, avocado oil, and extra glycerine in it. It's got moisturizing covered. My skin has never felt better after a shave. Maybe equal with some soaps, but not better.
Great, something else to buy!
Have we met?

Attachments

• $Shav_Anon2.JPG
    $Shav_Anon2.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
I am one of those who had difficulty getting a thick, rich lather the first two times I used Mystic. However, I got a great lather today - which was before I watched these videos. I have been using "water hog" soaps and creams, so I had a habit of using more water than I probably need to use with all soaps. Mystic is one where less is more. :D

By the way, even when I hadn't gotten a great lather, I had a great shave because this stuff hass a slickness that is wonderful on the face for shaving.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Nice videos, KJ. I get a beautiful lather out of Mystic Water soaps, as well. And I agree with you that the face feel after the shave is pretty close to spectacular. This is a worthy addition to any shave den.

Excellent video's Vez! I used to have the unscented and it was great stuff. I actually gave it off to someone who was new to DE shaving. It was excellent but the unscented wasn't for me. Michelle also did not have any scented ones at the time. But can't wait to get some more once my rotation goes down after watching your demo. Hope things are going well while being active on duty!

Last edited:
AWESOME JOB....

nice lather, great video.

active duty and doing lather videos....my hat is off to you "the vez" :thumbup1:

i'll try the "less water" tomorrow. i've been using the "marco method" and it worked for my test lather, but not my shave. even though the shave was spectacular today, i like a nice thick, creamy lather.

i've been using the "marco method" and it worked for my test lather.

I'm not a fan of the Marco-method for lathering any soap. If I do it that way lather starts flying everywhere as I'm trying to build. I prefer to load a dryer brush so all the soap is on the brush, then add water as needed.

I'm not a fan of the Marco-method for lathering any soap. If I do it that way lather starts flying everywhere as I'm trying to build. I prefer to load a dryer brush so all the soap is on the brush, then add water as needed.

But that is half the fun! I know what you are saying though. I use a slightly modified Marco method for Italian soft soaps (little less water) and have all of those soaps in larger containers which contains all the lather. It does build a great lather.

I have been reading about the Mystic Water soaps recently and these videos have pushed me over the edge to order. Excited to see more scents as they become available. Stay safe over there!

TheVez2, one thing I learned from this video is your "slapping" technique. Maybe the whole DE world already knew to do this? I saw your video and kind of chuckled at the slapping noise as you lathered up. I thought about that a couple days later as I was lathering up and that what the hell, and tried it. I'll be damned...that made the lather just pop right up! I used to have to squeeze the brush to get enough lather for the 3rd pass, most of the time, but using your slapping technique, the lather on my third pass is every bit as luscious as the first. Thanks!

TheVez2, one thing I learned from this video is your "slapping" technique. Maybe the whole DE world already knew to do this? I saw your video and kind of chuckled at the slapping noise as you lathered up. I thought about that a couple days later as I was lathering up and that what the hell, and tried it. I'll be damned...that made the lather just pop right up! I used to have to squeeze the brush to get enough lather for the 3rd pass, most of the time, but using your slapping technique, the lather on my third pass is every bit as luscious as the first. Thanks!

i found that "slapping" or "painting" technique a few months ago and was amazed at how well it works. there was an old printed version of some intstructions from Simpson (i think) that showed this method and they actually said this is how to do it properly.

it works like a charm and always produces fine lather for me....but i do find the lather flying all over my bathroom if i get out of control with the slapping. :001_wub:

I'm actually surprised at how little the lather flies, at least for MW.

it's on deck tomorrow (bay rum sample), so i'll see. i was referring to "flying lather" with some others then i use the "marco method" with, but i'll use a modified version with the Mystic (less water at start).

it does make a nice lather, regardless of method....it's a fine soap. i'm waiting for the Coconut to cure...they say another 10 days or so :001_tt1:

Top Bottom