Thread: TSA & carry ons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Default TSA & carry ons.

I travel a good deal & always take a DE razor with me. On those occasions when I'm not checking a bag, I put the disassembled razor (no blade of course) in a baggie on top of the tub going through the security scanner. I find this usually prevents any additional screening or luggage search. Technically this is not necessary but I find it speeds the process along considerably.
    "Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please."
    Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Nice!
    http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Air_Travel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Face&Head View Post
    I travel a good deal & always take a DE razor with me. On those occasions when I'm not checking a bag, I put the disassembled razor (no blade of course) in a baggie on top of the tub going through the security scanner. I find this usually prevents any additional screening or luggage search. Technically this is not necessary but I find it speeds the process along considerably.
    Just curious...what do you do for blades when you arrive at your destination? Find a store that carries DE blades? Mail some to your hotel before departing? Steal some from your brother-in-law?

Larry

(TOFLAC-U, BOTOC, LOSER, Fountain Pen Junkie, Savior of Vintage Brushes, and some other stuff I forgot!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snargle View Post
    Just curious...what do you do for blades when you arrive at your destination? Find a store that carries DE blades? Mail some to your hotel before departing? Steal some from your brother-in-law?
    Yes! In this case I was visiting my daughter in Boston and had sent her some ahead of time but had also solicited advice from Boston based B&Bers about where to pick some up. I don't actually count on my worthless bum of a brother-in-law. I often have to check a bag so it's not a problem. With a little planning it's pretty easy.
    "Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please."
    Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Face&Head View Post

Love your Mark Twain quote--shame the media doesn't follow it.
    ~Bob - Member: TOFLAC-U, Order of Pinaud, Alliance of Merkur, Excalibur
    "I was born in the back seat of a Yellow Cab in a hospital loading zone and with the meter still running. I emerged needing a shave and shouted 'Time Square, and step on it!'"--Tom Waits

You answered my exact questions. I will be flying this weekend for the first time as a DE shaver and was not sure what to do.

Lanesborough, In the "other" Massachusetts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Good point, however I've found that there is no set way as to how the Thousands Standing Around, are going to deal with things.
    Regards, Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Images

I travel quite frequently between my home in Florida and my work location in/near D.C. I frequent Reagan National and Jacksonville International almost exclusively, and I've had only one instance where they requested to examine my carry-on with shaving gear. I have made a purchase of a lot of four DEs from eBay and had them delivered to my place in Virginia. I decided to bring them home with me, and as my carry-on bag rolled through the scanner, they spotted them in my case. They were very nice; they just asked if they could examine the bag, and I knew what they wanted to see most likely was if I had any blades in the kit or the razors, which I didn't. I was through in no time.

This was a rare case of carrying a razor with me. Since I basically have two residences, I don't need to carry shaving items between them. However, when I do carry a DE, I do exactly Face&Head said in his OP: keep the razor in a baggy, disassembled, and remove it from the bag and leave it out in the tub. I zip right through.

Frankly, I go through these two airports so much, I think they all know me.
    "Hot dog, groat cakes again! Heavy on the 30-weight, Mom!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Literally every time I've flown with a razor, I get my bag searched. Perhaps this is due to the large BRW handle, I don't know, but I'd like to know where you guys who do not get searched are flying out of.

I agree with Face&Head. I started putting the razor parts, unassembled, in my baggie with toiletries and they appreciate it and I zip right through now. For longer trips, I'll mail a blade ahead, but for a day or two, I just use BIC Metals. They work. Not ideal, but they work.
    -- John
    Noble Knight of The Veg Table, Proud member of BOTOC