What's new

Derby Shaving soap stick

Browsing ebay I stumbled onto it. Blue label, looks like a blue twin of Arko, made somewhere around Pakistan or somewhere like that. Of course I bought some. Has anyone here experienced it, I thought I'd ask after the purchase, that's how I normally do stuff. Anyway, good or bad, or otherwise, what do we know about this stuff? Unless it's already been talked about, maybe I'll post about it after I've had a chance to use it.

The eBay listing says it is made in Turkey - and so I think it is made by the folks who make Arko. But it may be more than just rebranded Arko. Let us know what you find out.

Bestshave is now offering a stick in a blue wrapper under the Tweex brand:

proxy.php

Looks intriguing, similar to Arko, but it's an unknown quantity and he wants 30¢ more for it than Arko.

I'm laying off ordering from there until he gets a few other things I'm interested in back in stock.

We might as well have the Derby ebay link, since it is a BIN: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DERBY-SHAVING-SOAP-STICK-75-gr-2-64-oz-FREE-SHIPPING-/260959132545. It looks like a similar size to the Arko stick: 75-g, probably 32-mm diameter. The Tweex looks similar: http://shop.bestshave.net/shaving-soab-sticks-75-gr-new-p-176.html

My earlier post may have been misleading. The seller says that it is made by "AZMUSEBAT" in Turkey - I think that should be Azmüsebat, parent company of Derby. But Arko is made by Evyap, a different company. I could not find ingredients for Derby or Tweex, and I did not see either of these soaps when I was in Turkey last spring. There is a brief mention of Tweex in this thread - in Turkish: http://geltir.com/printthread.php?tid=384, and it sounds like a product of yet another company. The Turkish shaving soap market may become interesting this year.

Attachments

• $Screen shot 2012-02-19 at 18.44.35 .jpg
    $Screen shot 2012-02-19 at 18.44.35 .jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,236
Intriguing! I've never seen the Derby soap before, and I'm always on the lookout for shaving products when I'm in Turkey. I for one hope it smells even more like Arko than Arko itself!

Amen to that! I ordered a 12 pack. When I get it , I'll give it a shot, then post an offer on BST for some single sticks. I might even pif a few...

I just seen these I would be interested to know if they were just arko repackaged also? Would love for them to be same shaving quality, but with different smell. Please keep us updated.

I haven't seen much follow up on the Derby sticks, so I'll add. I just picked up my bag-o-six sticks and without having Arko with me (stoped at the post office on the way in to work) Derby smells along the same lines, as in very clean and soapy, but much more muted. I like the scent of Arko, so be aware of that. Of course I haven't had a chance to see the lather, but the stick is just as nice and soft as Arko, even has "DERBY" pressed into the sides. This might be a great alternative for those who find the Arkio a bit overwhelming.

I received my 3 sticks yesterday and shaved with it last evening. I'd say that the Derby is competing in the league that includes Speick and Palmolive sticks. Tallow of course, and it creates, at least for me, a nice tight and slick long lasting lather without suds or bubbles. The one thing that matters quite a bit to me is that it does not dissipate on the face or in the brush, unlike some of the cheaper soaps. (Arko and Williams are the sudsy and bubbly ones in my experience, and I know that a lot of guys enjoy Arko and Williams, and have no problem with that!). Regarding Derby's fragrance, it's a generic soapy fragrance, probably in the same general but far removed family as Arko, not anywhere as pungeant. I like Arko and Williams scents, by the way. However, I'd say that Derby could be a second cousin of the Palmolive stick.

I have never been a fan of Derby cosmetics. The cream was never equal to Arko and I guess now they are in the soap business too. Looks like a private label deal since the Best shave one is almost identical.

I received my 3 sticks yesterday and shaved with it last evening. I'd say that the Derby is competing in the league that includes Speick and Palmolive sticks. Tallow of course, and it creates, at least for me, a nice tight and slick long lasting lather without suds or bubbles. The one thing that matters quite a bit to me is that it does not dissipate on the face or in the brush, unlike some of the cheaper soaps. (Arko and Williams are the sudsy and bubbly ones in my experience, and I know that a lot of guys enjoy Arko and Williams, and have no problem with that!). Regarding Derby's fragrance, it's a generic soapy fragrance, probably in the same general but far removed family as Arko, not anywhere as pungeant. I like Arko and Williams scents, by the way. However, I'd say that Derby could be a second cousin of the Palmolive stick.

Sounds intriguing. I love Palmolive and use it almost every morning.

Could you post the complete ingredient list for the Derby stick?

Sounds intriguing. I love Palmolive and use it almost every morning.

Could you post the complete ingredient list for the Derby stick?

Here's the Derby Shaving Soap ingredient list. Also, remember I didn't say Derby smells like Palmolive. What I meant to say is that it is a generic soap scent, when I mentioned a distant relative of Palmolive's scent.

Ingredient list: Potassium tallowate, potassium cocoate, stearic acid, sodium palm kernelate, aqua disodium distrylbiphenyl disulfonate, CL77891, paraffinum liquidum, parfum, geraniol, benzyl alcohol, linalool, glycerin.

Here's the Derby Shaving Soap ingredient list. Also, remember I didn't say Derby smells like Palmolive. What I meant to say is that it is a generic soap scent, when I mentioned a distant relative of Palmolive's scent.

Ingredient list: Potassium tallowate, potassium cocoate, stearic acid, sodium palm kernelate, aqua disodium distrylbiphenyl disulfonate, CL77891, paraffinum liquidum, parfum, geraniol, benzyl alcohol, linalool, glycerin.

Cool, anyone got arko ingredients?

This morning I was able to put the Derby stick in to action. The scent wakes up a bit when lathering, but still not as strong as a fresh Arko stick. The Derby lacks some of the "citrus" notes Arko has. (I don't know if citrus is the right word, but the best I could come up with at the moment.) The lather is great. Thick and protective while still remaining slick. I had to really look close, but my lather had just the slightest blue tint to it. Did you notice that as well, Gary?

Top Bottom