What's new

What was your first car?

That 1950 Ford reminds me so much of my dad. He is 73 and his first car was a 1932 Ford 3 window Coupe DeLuxe. He still has it. Sat in a garage from 1962 till last year. He came down with cancer and me and his buddies snuck it out and started restoring it while he was in the hospital. Its almost ready to come home to him. I will have to post pics of it. I know the day he got out of the hospital we took him into his friends garage and it was 75% done. He cried. Best feeling I ever had was to see him smile. Yeah first cars do have a hold on ya.

You are a good son! That is class! My dad helped me fix up that 50 Ford. He can't drive anymore, so I pick him up every Saturday morning, with the 50 Ford, and we go to breakfast. I think he has fond memories of us working on it together 40 years ago.

When I was 15 my dad told me that I had better get a job and start saving up for a car because he sure was not going to buy me one. I mowed lawns, worked in a pet store, worked in a hospital kitchen and saved every penny I made.

Just short of my 16th birthday I found the car I wanted AND I could afford the $200 it cost. My dad was not all that pleased with my choice as it had been burned in a fire and it was a real mess BUT he and I spend the better part of 2 years doing a body off restoration on "my car"

My first car was a 1957 Jaguar XK-140-MC roadster. Open cockpit, wire wheels and more horse power than a 17 year old should ever be allowed to handle. My senior year in high school I drove a show room condition 2 seat open cockpit sports car that would do 140 mph without breaking a sweat AND I lived to tell all of you about it too

This is one of a few pics I have left that I took during the restoration with most of it in primer. It has been almost half a century ago now and many of the photos are never to be found again but the memories of my father and I rebuilding this car will live with me until I die.

proxy.php

Hi Folks:

Mine was a 1947 Plymouth (I'm old), 2 door, with tuck and roll directly from Tijuana (bring your own thread) that I bought for $100. I drove it for 4-years until it finally gave up the ghost then sold it for $25 to a recycler. Fond memories of that old car.

On a side note, I attended a very upscale high school where Corvettes and new cars abounded. We had one young lady who drove a brand new Mercedes Benz 450 SEL with Gull Wing doors. Of course her dad was Elgin Gates, big game huinter and the developer of Elgin boat motors.

Don

1969 Fiat 850 Spyder, I doubt I could fit in that car today. It was nice for attracting the girls, but limited in it's usefulness after that.
:wink2:

Attachments

• $images.jpg
    $images.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 149

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
1962 Ford Falcon 2 Door Station Wagon.
Inline 6, 3 speed on the column.
Same color scheme as this pic, but not nearly as good condition.

$1963FalconWagon_dsfrtg.jpg

i kind of had 2 first cars in a sense. my first car got was my 1970 el camino which i still have dreams about to this day (sounds weird i know) turbo 400 tranny, 350 bored and decked block, .30 over domed pistons, 202 (double hump) angle plug heads polished and ported intake and exaust, 700 holly carb, m/t valvle covers, i dont remember the specs on the cam and all the other cool stuff i had, its been almost 9 years since i sold it :(.

so i bought the el camino first but i started driving around a car my grandpa gave me since the el camino wasnt drivable yet. it was a 1959 pontiac star chief. funky car smoked like it was on fire from the tranny fruid falling on the exaust, brakes went out twice while i was driving it, brake lights didnt work so i had to turn the head lights in when ever i stopped to make it looklike they worked (this only worked during the day) i stopped driving it when the wind shield wipers stopped working and i had to stick my head out the window to drive home (rain doesnt feel good at high speeds lol)

thats my little story... now im on my new project which should be obvious from my name lol.

My first car was a 1966 Chevy Bel-Air ... 4-door, blue body with a white top. This was 1971 when I got my first driver's license. My father bought it from a neighbor across the street when they moved. We paid $450 for it, then my father had Air Conditioning added under the dash that ran another $750.

I remember spending many nights washing and waxing and polishing it. I dreamed about putting in a kick-*** stereo, since all it had was standard AM in the dash ... but I never got around to anything more than an FM-converter that played through the original AM.

We kept that car through the next 5 years, I put around 60,000 miles on it. My father sold it to another neighbor for $250 when I was away in the Navy ... they drove it for a couple of months before it died because they let it run out of oil. I wanted to cry when I heard that.

When I was 15 my dad told me that I had better get a job and start saving up for a car because he sure was not going to buy me one. I mowed lawns, worked in a pet store, worked in a hospital kitchen and saved every penny I made.

Just short of my 16th birthday I found the car I wanted AND I could afford the $200 it cost. My dad was not all that pleased with my choice as it had been burned in a fire and it was a real mess BUT he and I spend the better part of 2 years doing a body off restoration on "my car"

My first car was a 1957 Jaguar XK-140-MC roadster. Open cockpit, wire wheels and more horse power than a 17 year old should ever be allowed to handle. My senior year in high school I drove a show room condition 2 seat open cockpit sports car that would do 140 mph without breaking a sweat AND I lived to tell all of you about it too

This is one of a few pics I have left that I took during the restoration with most of it in primer. It has been almost half a century ago now and many of the photos are never to be found again but the memories of my father and I rebuilding this car will live with me until I die.

proxy.php

that is awesome.... im always going to remember getting to work on cars with my dad too. those r some of the best times for a father and son

my first was a $100 1949 4 door chevy I bought in 1965 when I was 16...I miss seeing the windsheild wipers slow down to a snails pace when I stepped on the gas in a rainstorm.....miss the push button starters on my 54 buicks....most of all I miss my 1964 series 62 matador red cadillac convertible with matching leather and snow white top.....

The first car in my name was 1966 Pontiac LeMans I bought brand new in '66 for $2700. A GTO was about $400 more. Mine was Candlelight cream (yellow) with a black vinyl top, 326ci, 4 speed. Sold it in 1970 after our daughter was born, but it was pretty beat by then and starting to rust. The LeMans was fun, but the only car I actually miss is a '92 Buick Century.
NJpaddy - is there some story behind this?! Not usually a car that I would think of as eliciting this type of response, unless of course it coincides with a particular good/fun/memorable part of your life. Just curious, but understand if you don't want to expand on it.

Top Bottom