What's new

Saphir Shoe Cleaning Line

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
While visiting in San Francisco, I happened across a shoe shining company called A Shine & Co. THey have a treatment they call the Saphir Shine. THis shine runs $25, and consists of 4 layers of a product called Saphir. They use a cleaning/conditioning paste, then move onto a colored paste. This colored paste is along the lines of Meltonian products. Now I will say that tis is some of the deepest colors/shine that I have ever seen with a paste. They never used the wax, but that is suppose to kick up the shining several levels. They barely used any products, and looking online, it seems the products are about $19 per jar.

So long story short, have any of you used these products?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've used Saphir and love it. That conditioning paste in the first layer no doubt is "Renovateur"

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Well, I picked up the whole range. I bought the Renovateur, as well as 3 polishes and waxes. Ill be looking forward to trying it out.

Switches a couple of years ago to Saphir and I will not go back. Got Renovateur, a few different creams and a few waxes. A bit expensive but the best brand I have tried so far.

While most of us shine the leather of our shoes real experts have a way of layering the conditioner/cream/wax so that you are really shining the under layer of wax-I know it sounds odd but this is how they can bring a very beat up shoe back to like new appearance. I thing that technique requires these excellent products. I have to admit I am happy with Allen Edmonds and Kiwi and a nice, if not brilliant shine!!

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I just wanted to follow up this thread now that I received the package from the storefront of A Suitable Wardrobe. WOW...I am very impressed. Very nice tissue paper lining, and each cream/wax was individually wrapped and had their logo sticker on it. One could definitely tell it wasn't just thrown in there. Ill have to check out their storefront for other items, as it is the Saphir is the most inexpensive I have seen while searching.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Nice site. I may have to get a deer bone for my shell cordovans ( I have been using the back of a teaspoon as an alternative). Thanks for the link. :thumbup1:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I may get the deer bone as well. It would give me an excuse to pick up some various colors again..haha.

I saw an excellent review of this line on the Esquire blog a while back. Now that I have the cognoscenti's recommendation from B&B, will have to give this a try.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I just rebreathed some life into an old pair of Doc Martens with the Saphir line. Really top notch stuff. I was talking to someone, and as you all probably know you don't need the wax unless you want a high shine. The cream polishes should be sufficient as they bring out a very nice shine alone. But, if you want that extra bump, then pick up the wax too.

I love the Saphir product line. I have in my possession many tins of kiwi, kelly's and more, but it seeems that I grab the Saphir black before the others....really the main thing when it comes to shoe care, is the conditioning of the leather...just remember that no matter what brand you are using, always use some form of a leather conditioner....

With that being said, i do not spend 2-3 hours bullying a shine on my shoes, but in fifteen minutes I get great results with Saphir....

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I have to agree there. I saw that just the Saphir leather conditioner alone did after brushing it. WOW, that was a semi shine on its own. Saphir Reno will go on all my shoes for sure, and watching the "professional" use all the products i noticed something. A little product goes a very long way.

Mark, I had a question and maybe Bob can chime in as well. There is an internet video on the Deer Bone with cordovan. do you ever have to do anything special to the bone? I know they say there are oils in the bone in general. And, I have heard that you don't need to provide the 30 minute brush buffing if your using a bone as well to bring out the natural shine. I just don't know if the Bone is a necessity.

Im also wondering if the cordovan wrinkles a great deal. I read about the bone..or the back of a spoon to smooth out leather. Is this leather creasing so funny and so often that it needs to be smoothed out?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There is an internet video on the Deer Bone with cordovan. do you ever have to do anything special to the bone? I know they say there are oils in the bone in general. And, I have heard that you don't need to provide the 30 minute brush buffing if your using a bone as well to bring out the natural shine. I just don't know if the Bone is a necessity.

"natural oils" ... seems the bone has it already.

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2010/11/dem-bones-dem-bones-dem-deer-bones.html

http://www.thesimplyrefined.com/cordovan-week-care/

Top Bottom