What's new

A new straight shaver - scary but a nice challenge

Hi all,

I've only been wet shaving for about 6 weeks, using an old Gillette Fat Boy or a vintage open-comb travel DE razor. I like it so much, I wanted to try a straight razor as well. I worked with Larry at WhippedDog and can't say enough good things about him, his patience, and the razor I got.

So, today's day two...

Yesterday, I did as the guide says and just shaved a few passes below the ear on my dominant hand side. Scary, but it went fine.

Today, I felt more daring and have been having really good luck with the aggressive travel DE razor (or the Gillette on a more aggressive setting). So, I decided to ignore the beginner's guide and I shaved both cheeks, both jawlines, and my neck with the new well-honed straight razor which I got from Larry this week. Smooth, no cuts, and a nice challenge. But, I'll be honest, I had no idea how to shave around my nose or mouth and I actually found my hand shaking. I've watched the videos and read the how-to, so I have the general idea. But my hand certainly didn't know what to do. I'm not a particularly timid individual and don't consider myself easily unnerved, so it definitely surprised me to find myself looking in the mirror with a razor in my shaking hand. So, I finished up with the DE...

I'm going to keep at this and will take my new toy with me on a business trip, where I'll have plenty of time alone to practice. And, of course, I'll have me DE travel razor for those chicken moments. :)

Ross

Would there be an effect on your trip if you end up cutting yourself? I would wait until I return home to work on technique. On the road many things are different.

Al raz.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hey, if your hand didnt shake the first few times you would be Chuck Norris! Take it slow and easy and you'll be a expert in a little while.

I'm on day 6. Shocking how fast the comfort factor sets in - not the I'm good at it factor, but I didn't even have to think about reaching over my head to stretch my face this morning. Progress.

It does get easier, but don't let your concentration wander - it can lead to weepers!

Well, my concentration was pretty darn focused with that sharp and unsheathed blade against my skin. I tried more than my cheeks - did neck, upper lip, and chin as well today as I had LOTS of time. I'd safely say, there was no wandering at all! :) It is certainly a challenge and, to be frank, harder than I thought. But I'm sure that's because I'm making harder than it should be. I had lots of weepers, but I'm sticking with it. Baby steps...

Update at the 3-week mark: No more DE! I'm fully into the straight razor now and am cut/weeper free today. I only had one "bad" cut throughout the whole process, on about shave 6, when I dug a sharp tip into my cheek. I understand the suggestions to use a round-tip while new, and I fully agree, but I wanted to try out some others. I'm not yet doing ATG, so my shaves aren't as smooth as I've been able to get with a DE, but that will come with time and comfort. I'm definitely hooked and enjoying this. Thanks for the information, encouragement, and positive energy here!

Great stuff Ross. Hope things continue to go well. Keep the updates coming. I have learned the most by reading various newbie journals and the veterans responses to their questions and problems.

Great stuff Ross. Hope things continue to go well. Keep the updates coming. I have learned the most by reading various newbie journals and the veterans responses to their questions and problems.
+1--I also learn from your journal Grip even though I'm using the Feather

Well, it just keeps getting better and better. I'm so hooked that I just sent almost all of my recently acquired DE razors to a member who's deployed, so that he can share the wet shaving love. A huge transition for me happened when I went from being scared to respectful. I'm not sure exactly where it happened. At first, I was truly scared. My hand was actually shaking - I've been shot at (and once without the "at") and don't consider myself easily riled. But somewhere along this process I realized I wasn't going to kill myself, I started to hear and feel what was happening, I focused on reduction passes, and I began to respect the blade instead of fearing it. Once that happened, the process changed from scary to peaceful. It's still a challenge, but now in a new way. Now, I'm not trying to keep from cutting myself. Now, my challenge is getting a better shave than than the last. And that's a nice thing.

Some things I learned:

I know why everyone recommends a round (or dulled) point razor to new shavers.
I'm so glad I bought one of Larry's Poor Man's Strops as my first strop.
I now know exactly why earcutter chose that name. It's so easy to do with a sharp/square point when cleaning up there.
I now know what my ears are for. All this time, I didn't realize it was something to hook with my finger for skin stretching when XTG.
I shave better with my left hand, actually. But, of course, I'm left handed... I am going down the ambidextrous path though and keeping my options open.
My wife still thinks I'm obsessed and nuts, but she's being tolerant and says "cool" when appropriate.

Thanks all!

Well, it just keeps getting better and better. I'm so hooked that I just sent almost all of my recently acquired DE razors to a member who's deployed, so that he can share the wet shaving love. A huge transition for me happened when I went from being scared to respectful. I'm not sure exactly where it happened. At first, I was truly scared. My hand was actually shaking - I've been shot at (and once without the "at") and don't consider myself easily riled. But somewhere along this process I realized I wasn't going to kill myself, I started to hear and feel what was happening, I focused on reduction passes, and I began to respect the blade instead of fearing it. Once that happened, the process changed from scary to peaceful. It's still a challenge, but now in a new way. Now, I'm not trying to keep from cutting myself. Now, my challenge is getting a better shave than than the last. And that's a nice thing.

Some things I learned:

I know why everyone recommends a round (or dulled) point razor to new shavers.
I'm so glad I bought one of Larry's Poor Man's Strops as my first strop.
I now know exactly why earcutter chose that name. It's so easy to do with a sharp/square point when cleaning up there.
I now know what my ears are for. All this time, I didn't realize it was something to hook with my finger for skin stretching when XTG.
I shave better with my left hand, actually. But, of course, I'm left handed... I am going down the ambidextrous path though and keeping my options open.
My wife still thinks I'm obsessed and nuts, but she's being tolerant and says "cool" when appropriate.

Thanks all!

Great thread RossvTayor! I personally think if you aren't obsessed and a little nuts, that it would be altogether way too easy to give up on the straight lol!

I'll have you know, I am almost... almost, ready to retire my name! But yeah sure as sin, when I started my left ear was a magnet! It was crazy! I sure hope you didn't find out "exactly why earcutter chose that name" LOL!

Yes, when your attention wanders is the moment you will get yourself.

I usually don't nick myself with the shaving stroke. I do it when I get careless and come at my face too fast.

Top Bottom