What's new

Another container option for storing soaps

Folks, From my SOTD photo today here's another option for storing soaps that I don't think I've seen mentioned before:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=329033&postcount=190

It's a metal container from The Container Store that I got for around $7. That's more than the plastic zip lock or the glass anchor bowl option but they look nice (enough to display in the bathroom), stack nice, and provide a lot of room to get the brush around the puck to load up the bristles. The lid seals nicely as well.

I was wondering if old cream tubs are any good to hold soaps. Sure, you'll get the wrong writing on the tub (shouldn't be too hard to sand off, or something like that), but it'll be a sturdy container which won't spill over immediately when you're loading your brush.

I'm doing pretty well on that front. I think I'd make a little mess with those wooden bowls, where the soap comes up all the way to the rim of the bowl.

By the way, I like the metal tin thing you have. They'd definitely stack better than cream tubs.

Scooper, it looks a like a great idea. Do you take the soap out of the tin and then use it? I was wondering if the tin is treated so it didn't get tiny rust spots? I've seen those for candles, great for camping.
Susie

Scooper, it looks a like a great idea. Do you take the soap out of the tin and then use it? I was wondering if the tin is treated so it didn't get tiny rust spots? I've seen those for candles, great for camping.
Susie
I just leave the puck in the container all the time. I leave the lid off during the day to let it dry out then cover it at night. Finish is chromed or stainless - no rust.

This thread made me so happy. They are opening a Container store right down the street from my place and SWMBO wants to go. I had no idea what i would do for the countless hours in a store full of containers, but now I can shop for shaving accessories.:biggrin: :biggrin:

This thread made me so happy. They are opening a Container store right down the street from my place and SWMBO wants to go. I had no idea what i would do for the countless hours in a store full of containers, but now I can shop for shaving accessories.:biggrin: :biggrin:
You should also be able to find all kinds of containers to store your razors if you are building up a collection. Stuff with drawers for each razor, etc. Happy hunting.

I got a stainless steel container that looks just like that on Amazon for $10 [for anyone not near a container store). works great so far, and the lid doesn't come off when moved around in luggage either. Can't be sure if it's exactly the same thing but looks similar.

Folks, From my SOTD photo today here's another option for storing soaps that I don't think I've seen mentioned before:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=329033&postcount=190

It's a metal container from The Container Store that I got for around $7. That's more than the plastic zip lock or the glass anchor bowl option but they look nice (enough to display in the bathroom), stack nice, and provide a lot of room to get the brush around the puck to load up the bristles. The lid seals nicely as well.

reminds me of the stainless steel tubs Saint Sue is discontinuing. :001_wub:

Marty

i've been using these exact metal containers from the container store for about 6-7months now. the size is perfect, inside diameter great for 22-26 knots and the depth is also great.

the biggest complaint and the reason that last month i removed all my soaps from those containers and into plastic ones sold by the container store is the discolouration. the metal or tin on the inside turns black and spotty where water/soap residue has sat. maybe its oxidation or whatever. it doesn't happen on the outside of the soaps only the inside. but i didn't like the look of it so much so i had to re-double boiler my soaps and move them into plastic containers.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=253&PRODID=62104 that is a link to the exact item i was using the 3 1/8inch diameter ones

thats my 2cents

~J

ps. yes the container store is fantastic

reminds me of the stainless steel tubs Saint Sue is discontinuing. :001_wub:
Marty

I've changed my mind on discontinuing them, Marty. I had planned on it due to not finding a suitable mold to provide refills. I found a perfect container for refills and will be offering them after SCS has completed it's move. (7-10 days)
Sue

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've changed my mind on discontinuing them, Marty. I had planned on it due to not finding a suitable mold to provide refills. I found a perfect container for refills and will be offering them after SCS has completed it's move. (7-10 days)
Sue

Good news!! I'll get some of those refills. Sue, if you ever bring back the coconut, PM me, please! :ouch1:

Ian,
Once we are situated in the new shop, most all of the SCS past and present fragrances will be available by request. As with any project of this type it's taking longer than anticipated. I helped contribute to the delay. I bought the wrong type faucet, took the stove-top right out of the display shelf and something was missing and several other errors that are slowing the process.
Sue

Top Bottom