What's new

naniwa vs norton

Just as the title reads. What do you think the better stones are and why. I have a norton for my kitchen knives and a naniwa 12 and 8 for touch ups. The 8 k got cracked and trying to decide what to replace it with. Thanks for the help in advance.

I had almost the entire Naniwa progression and it wasn't really necessary. I did sell them in order to get a coti. It really depends on what your finishing stone is going to be. If you are going to keep the 12k as your finishing than I see no problem just replacing the one stone. You could sell your Naniwa 12k and add it to the purchase price of a coticule. You would in the long run pay the same amount. I do prefer my JNAT as a final finisher. Its kind of funny my best edges off of the Naniwa then JNAT were the day I sold my Naniwa collection. The real decision you need to make is are you satisfied with your current edge. If you are then I wouldn't change stones. If you think you could improve then maybe you should consider a Coticule and maybe even a JNAT. I wouldn't go the Norton route since it would be cheaper to just replace the 8K Naniwa.

Last edited:
My 8k synth is a Naniwa 'Snow White' Junpaku 8k. The feel when honing is excellent - not spongy at all. Swarf just rolls off under water too. I like this stone a lot. I prefer it to Norton and the Naniwa SS.
Is it better - well, better is subjective at one level. I had the Norton 8k and the SS 8k and I got great edges using them.
Having said that;
The Norton is a good hone - I just never liked how the feedback felt. Plus - and maybe I'm nuts - but it seemed like the grit wasn't consistent across the stone. I had uneven scratchmarks all the time. Plus - I thought it was too soft.. again, maybe I'm nuts - but the polish on the bevel was never quite right. The SS was better in both areas of my concerns but I didn't really love that one either.
Don't get me wrong - both worked fine, I always wound up with good edges using either of them. In fact - I used to follow the Norton 8k with the SS 8k... the Norton 8k is more like a SS 5k (grit wise) and progressing like that really worked for me. I prefer shorter hops when going stone to stone. But - that's just my thing.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think so far the consensus is "neither" lol.

I say coticule only because I prefer edges off my coticule vs my Naniwa's. Also, you already have the honing skill learnt so the transition to a coticule should be pretty painless.
Do some research on them, here at B&B and coticule.be. It is a different way of honing for sure, and it may not be your bag.

I'd say get a Norton 4/8k, then finish on your 12k SS.

I've shaved off a Norton 4/8k for over two weeks and used right it's a very nice hone by itself, and personally I wouldn't compare the 8k Norton to a 5k Naniwa at all, it's finer for sure. Actually I'd say a Norton 8k used right will give you a very smooth edge that would take a coticule owner with surprise.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
NO IT WONT!!

LOL...ok maybe it will. I still need to stop buying kamisori long enough to pick me up a norton 4/8 to test out :).

Naniwa 1,3,8,12 JNAT has been some of my better shaves. I can't compare it to my Factory then JNAT edge because it has been a while since Rick honed that one and I have had some really medicore shaves in between from a full Naniwa progression. I don't really think its going to matter what stones you end up getting as long as you are comfortable with the shave the final stone gives you. If you do change I highly recommend asking Kentos or Wid what their method is on those particular stones, public knowledge seems to be higher on Coticule than other stones.

NO IT WONT!!

LOL...ok maybe it will. I still need to stop buying kamisori long enough to pick me up a norton 4/8 to test out :).

When your done playing with the 4/8 you can send them to me for my kitchen knives :)

NO IT WONT!!

Lol, ask Gary Haywood, he's tried a coti or two :wink2:

Quoting Gary on the Norton:

"Took my second shave this morning. just to make sure it was no fluke. I did add 5 more laps on my 8k. the shave was exactly the same. still very smooth and very forgiving edge . Very similar if not just like a nice natural stone can deliver. Is the 8k manmade or is a natural substance? seems like my edge is pritty maxed out, I never thought i would like the edge of nortons . It seems like my ti steel is very well suited to the norton s. the other thing is i have a sub par hht. every one talks about hht. I use it with coticules and it works. It seems not to be the case with the 4k/8k. i can pass hht desently but not like usaul. yet the shave is as good and defanatley as comfortable.

regards gary"

Contrary to popular belief Norton is not rated on the ANSI grit rating, it is on the Japanese rating system, same as the Naniwa's.

I've shaved off a Norton 4/8k for over two weeks and used right it's a very nice hone by itself, and personally I wouldn't compare the 8k Norton to a 5k Naniwa at all, it's finer for sure.

Actually - the abrasive particle sizes of the SS 5k and Norton 8k are very close.

Lol, ask Gary Haywood, he's tried a coti or two :wink2:

Quoting Gary on the Norton:

"Took my second shave this morning. just to make sure it was no fluke. I did add 5 more laps on my 8k. the shave was exactly the same. still very smooth and very forgiving edge . Very similar if not just like a nice natural stone can deliver. Is the 8k manmade or is a natural substance? seems like my edge is pritty maxed out, I never thought i would like the edge of nortons . It seems like my ti steel is very well suited to the norton s. the other thing is i have a sub par hht. every one talks about hht. I use it with coticules and it works. It seems not to be the case with the 4k/8k. i can pass hht desently but not like usaul. yet the shave is as good and defanatley as comfortable.

regards gary"

yes the norton was my first ever hone they do work if you put the efort in. Its like any hone if you are willing to stick with it the shave will be nice. i have always liked the 8k norton . the feel is much nicer than the 4k side which is'nt that bad after a good lapping. i would say the 8k norton feels much nicer than the 8k naniwa. the 8k norton feels like your honing on natural stone. they realy feel silky and they polish quik and well. the shave of 8k is smooth enough for me , like i've always said i just like and prefer my coticules, it s what i've used for so long and they kind of grow on you. , maybe you can skip 8k and see how it goes you may be ok with out.

Legion

Staff member
I started with the Norton 4K/8K. It works and gives a good edge. I haven't tried Naniwas.

I switched to coticules a while ago, and I do prefer them. When I was learning the cotis they gave me similar sharpness to what I was getting off the 8k, but I can get beyond that now. Plus there is no soaking and drying, which annoys me with the Norton.

But for someone new to learn honing they are good. Nice and big, don't cost too much. I kind of feel like I should sell mine, because it gets no use now, but I just haven't been able to yet.

I much prefer Norton over the naniwa stones. Naniwas can clog up very easily and bow since they're made with some kind of rubber ingrediant.

I liked the Naiwas more because of the feel, but they clog very fast, so I use my Norton instead. I don't lik the 4k side, so I am still in a search for my optimal stone setup. The 1k Chosera is very nice for a bevel setter, and the 10-12k nanis are good finishers, but between the two, I am shot :)

Overall, both sets are good, but I hone a lot, and I would go crazy lapping the naniwas day and night, so Nortons for me. A lot of people like the Naniwas more, heavy personal preference involved.

Last edited:
I have used both. I like the norton's just because they are not as soft. Having to soak the 4k is annoying. Then again I usually do not have emergency honing sessions where that 10 minutes will kill me.

Ah yes, the soaking. I am a honing addict, so for me a few spritzes of water is enough for the 4k side :) My stone doesn't have even a full day to dry, so soaking is not an issue for me.

I liked the Naiwas more because of the feel, but they clog very fast, so I use my Norton instead. I don't lik the 4k side, so I am still in a search for my optimal stone setup. The 1k Chosera is very nice for a bevel setter, and the 10-12k nanis are good finishers, but between the two, I am shot :)

Overall, both sets are good, but I hone a lot, and I would go crazy lapping the naniwas day and night, so Nortons for me. A lot of people like the Naniwas more, heavy personal preference involved.

What don't you like about the 4K norton side? It needs to be lapped A LOT to be smooth then it should feel like another other hone....naniwa, shapton, etc.

Top Bottom