What's new

Omega 10098 - anyone use this style handle ?

Does anyone use the Omega 10098. I would like some input from those who do or who have used this brush.

What did you think about the old style "barber's" handle?

Is there a difference between their regular bristles and pro bristles?

I'm considering this for my next boar brush and want some "pre-purchase" feedback from users of this brush

proxy.php

What did you think about the old style "barber's" handle?

proxy.php
I have not used that particular handle, but I think it would be better served as a barber's brush, that is, for applying lather to other people. I face lather, and it seems it would be very unwieldy trying to work my own face.

I've also never used that particular handle but I do find longer handles easier to hold and face lather with.

I have this brush, but rarely use it. I found it to be good for hard soaps, or ones that are more difficult to lather (Williams). I figure its because the bristles are so much longer and hold more water. But I mostly use creams and also face lather which I don't think this brush is particularly suited for . It's too big and is like using a big paint brush.

I would not buy this brush for the handle alone either. It's just a two piece hollow plastic handle, nothing special really.

i have this brush too and use it often enough. it's a big brush with a ton of backbone, dense enough, and soft split ends when broken in. the handle is a bit lighter than i wanted but is a nice size. there is an omega very similar but with a wooden handle that i would have preferred if the wood was dense enough, but i have never held it to know.. and only saw it after purchasing the 10098.

it definitely doesn't have bed head like the semogues i have seen, here is a pic after a dozen or so uses...

proxy.php

it's cheap enough to try and i don't agree about the barber's use comment. i think all brushes could be used by barbers logically...

i've used on creams, soaps, whatever... great performance, but it is big so load appropriately... i think i have have noticed that boars tend to make my lathers feel "fatty" compared to badger or mixed, but that is totally not researched or a developed conclusion yet.

the similar one is a 20102

$Omega_20102.jpg

same knot same weight, 23 mm total brush height difference. same price...

it's a nice knot if you like large knots.this wold also be a great knot to salvage and put in another handle in my opinion if you didn't like the handle. let em say the handle is light for my expectations of this handle when looking at it, but not light in comparison to other brushes.

if you want to see a comparison photo, here is a photo i took

proxy.php

I just purchased that brush. Received it yesterday. I have it soaking in lather now to help break in. I was surprised that it didn't have as much smell funk as others have stated. The handle is very comfortable, especially if bowl/mug lathering. No clanging or getting fingers pinched against mug.
Can't really comment on backbone (yet) since not broken in. It is large and even though it has not splayed out yet, the top seems a bit large for face lather. However, it does have the same loft and knot size as the #49 which many people swear by for face lather. I chose this over the #49 because of the handle size. I wanted to try something different over the ordinary.

Update: As far as doing an initial break in I followed the advice on this forum (sorry, can't find the link). It had you soak the brush in hot water for about 10 minutes. Then let it soak in dish soap for a few hours. Rinse and then lather it up. Let that soak overnight. This method worked very well. Absolutely no funk smell afterwards, HOWEVER, as I stated above, this brush didn't have much smell anyway.

Last edited:
Nice lineup - what make is the third brush (from the left)?

it's an older lineup of mine, some have come and gone... with as many brushes as some of have, it's funny how some get so little use even after haveing them for a long long time..

the 3rd on the left is the brush made by AdP. It is sold with a fancy holder that is really nice.

not to threadjack...
proxy.php

back on topic my 10098 smelled disgusting for the first week or so... the nastiest funk i have ever smelled from my brushes.. i enlisted my 6 y.o. to help bowl lather while watching TV to get rid of the smell and help break it in.

Top Bottom