What's new

Newbie Questions Regarding Wedge/Near Wedge razors

I have a few embarrassingly newbie questions about wedge ground razors. I have been shaving for a few weeks with my full hollow beginners razor and have been doing some window shopping online. There are quite a few very nice looking wedge razors, but I figured I'd ask my questions here.

1) Do Wedge razors require different shave techniques / blade angle than the hollow grind razors?

2) Do Wedge type razors hold an edge longer/shorter than a hollow ground one?

3) Does the stropping technique on leather or balsa paste strops change depending on the grind?

I believe wedges are much more difficult to hone and maintain sharpness. And, near wedges, while easier, are also considerably more difficult to hone and maintain sharpness in many instances.

I doubt anyone will disagree with me on wedges. About near wedges, there will be difference of opinion. And, in a way, I disagree with myself! I have had many near wedges that honed easily, and were not a problem to maintain sharpness.

An aside...

I have noticed that razors from the 1800s are harder to hone and maintain sharpness than razors made from, say 1900 or 1910 and after. While I know nothing of the metallurgy, it would be natural to expect metals to improve with time, just as many other manufactured items improve. While I haven't studied the metal characteristics of razors from different periods, simply honing many razors from all time periods, I observe a marked difference based on time of manufacture.

Back to near wedges (and wedges)...

I have noticed that the near wedges that don't seem to give me problems with honing and edge maintenance are the razors manufactured more recently. My theory is that the metal is better than near wedges made before 1900, and so give me less trouble.

But, here's the kicker! Wedges and near wedges dropped out of popularity in more recent times. So, these grind razors are more rare than other grinds.

Admittedly, there is a lot of ignorance and supposition in the above. But, if buying a near wedge for myself, especially if I was a new shaver, I would buy a more recently manufactured near wedge. (Buying a more recent wedge might be a problem, as they seem to have completely dropped out of favor after 1900.)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I love wedges. Hollows are nice too, but a sharp wedge just brings me greater satisfaction. Wedges do require a different
technique due to its heft, and depending on the honed edge a different angle might be needed. You wont know until you try one. Most freelance honers don't seem to like honing wedges so unless you hone your own you will likely need to pay a "honemeister"

I own a Hart wedge, love it primarily due to its heft. I get great responsiveness from the blade, and consider it one of my top BBS performers. That said I find it does require a bit more attention when honing. I double tape the spine and then go to a single tape across the spine, monitoring the edge. I will say however, when I do get to that golden HHT point there is a sound and feel on the wedge edge that I don't normally get from other grinds.

I own several vintage wedge razors, but I have not been able to successfully warp the time-continuum enought to free up a few hours to hone them. I hate working for a living!

Cheers

- Jim

Top Bottom