What's new

My first DE Shave

Definitely not your brush's fault. Just about any brush made is capable of creating a good lather. It's common for newbies to drastically underestimate the amount of soap or cream necessary for a good bowl of lather. Use a moist brush (not dripping wet), a lot more soap, and gradually add water, a drop or two at a time while you whisk up the suds. Once you hit that sweet spot of the proper soap/water ratio, you should be rewarded with a nice bowl of thick, rich, slick lather.

Take some time and practice building lathers when you're not shaving. Soap is cheap...just keep working at it until it becomes second nature.

Thanks Larry,

Today I will practice making lather like you have said. I currently have my soap in a bowl so perhaps I just need to work it in more, maybe that is why I always feel the lather on my second pass is always better than my first.

Thanks again everyone,

I just practiced lathering, and with Larry's advice. It's getting better but I find that with the Palmolive Shaving Cream I have (As compared to the Palmolive Stick I have just mashed into a bowl) it lathers up so much faster, I can make some big lather, with a pretty good consistency (much thicker than foam that comes out of the shaving foam cans and I'm sure it makes peaks), as in average amount I have seen others get and I can be building lather for a minute. But I'm still having trouble getting most of it on my face. I'm not sure how to explain, my brush keeps loosing lots of hairs too.

That being said a good brush could probably help a newb like me get better results :001_tt2:

I've read about Tweezerman Badgers and Omega Pro 49's, Semogue 1305's and even the Bestshave Horse Hair no.6. But I just need to ask, what is the best affordable (say less than $30) brush to build lather with using a bowl? I don't mind if it isn't the smoothest brush there is (I'd imagine it can only get better from what I have, and I don't have any complaints on comfort on the one I have), but the emphasis is on ease of lathering in a bowl.

That being said a good brush could probably help a newb like me get better results :001_tt2:

I've read about Tweezerman Badgers and Omega Pro 49's, Semogue 1305's and even the Bestshave Horse Hair no.6. But I just need to ask, what is the best affordable (say less than $30) brush to build lather with using a bowl? I don't mind if it isn't the smoothest brush there is (I'd imagine it can only get better from what I have, and I don't have any complaints on comfort on the one I have), but the emphasis is on ease of lathering in a bowl.

Check out the Frank Shaving Finest Badger brushes from eBay seller Ian Tang (http://stores.ebay.com/Ian-Tangs-Shaving-Workshop?_trksid=p4340.l2563). They're shipped from China (the source of 99% of the badger hair available today), but the service is good, the brushes are excellent, and the prices are great. He's a good guy to deal with and he stands behind his merchandise. They're not $100 Simpsons, but they're more than adequate and an excellent bargain.

Top Bottom