What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coup de Fouet
by Caron
vintage

red pepper, black pepper, clou de girofle (clove), carnation, ylang ylang, jasmine, rose, opoponax, cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, oakmoss, musk

This is like the perfume version of Bushi no Kaori. Another first, and this time from Caron, although there are some vintage leathers from this house I have yet to try - this is the first Caron that has really wowed me, and that includes Troisieme Homme. Most of the time I find Caron to be vile and that includes the vintages I've tried, but Coup de Fouet (crack of the whip) is mindblowing. Coup de Fouet is the EdT version of Caron's Poivre, and both are cinnamon/clove-carnation/pepper-leather/incense bombs but CdF is the EdT version of Poivre with less incense and leather and more rose. Upon first application it smells like a cinnamon-potpourri, a little hot with pepper, and almost tacky, but there's something in it that is very alluring - there's a hint of the classic chypre structure. There's also a very faint "cosmetic" smell that gets a little stronger over time, a floral note that starts to poke its head out (some iris, I thought, but could be other florals) but changes its mind. At this point a little bit of leather with incense emerges, but not frankincense, more along the lines of SMN's Potpourri but with a warm leather backbone and on the verge of tobacco-ish. I'm lucky to have a vintage version of this because I've heard the reformulation is thin and bland with quiet cinnamon/clove/pepper notes and barely any leather. I'm on the hunt for the elusive and prohibitively expensive Poivre now.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Slumberhouse "Rune" [correction, I meant Rume]--very honeyed at first and now apple pie. I liked the honeyed part better. Evocative of Old Testament times to me somehow. I was starting to think that it was only chocolate and coffee gourmands that did not appeal to me. But, no. I do not want to smell like apple pie either. Fresh apples, maybe. This may keep evolving.

Last edited:
How is this one and how does it compare to Guerlain Vetiver. It's been on my list, but is pricey. . .

Not that you were asking me, but I love VpE, which is very much like Guerlain's standard vetiver although very different. Essentially the composition is the same except the tobacco is substituted with neroli. Guerlain is discontinuing (or already has) VpE so now's the time to snatch it. To me it's a good summery alternative to the standard vetiver and is about the only time I wear it - good hot muggy southern summers are a good match but it can worn anytime.

Slumberhouse "Rune"--very honeyed at first and now apple pie. I liked the honeyed part better. Evocative of Old Testament times to me somehow. I was starting to think that it was only chocolate and coffee gourmands that did not appeal to me. But, no. I do not want to smell like apple pie either. Fresh apples, maybe. This may keep evolving.
Rumen: the first division of the stomach of a ruminant animal, in which most food collects immediately after being swallowed and from which it is later returned to the mouth...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...the-Day-2012?p=4047727&highlight=#post4047727

Not that you were asking me, but I love VpE, which is very much like Guerlain's standard vetiver although very different. Essentially the composition is the same except the tobacco is substituted with neroli. Guerlain is discontinuing (or already has) VpE so now's the time to snatch it. To me it's a good summery alternative to the standard vetiver and is about the only time I wear it - good hot muggy southern summers are a good match but it can worn anytime.

Thanks. Much appreciate the interruption/usurpation!

proxy.php

Top: Limes, Lemon
Middle: Basil, Bergamot, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Cloves
Base: Vetiver, Oakmoss

Anglia Perfumery's version of Crown Spiced Limes (1921).

Anglia's opening is similar to Crown's, but it lacks that magnificent soapy drydown I get with Crown Spiced Limes. Crown also has an earthy warmth which I don't find in Anglia. Where Crown lasts all day, Anglia begins to fade after 6 hours and after 8 hours it's completely gone. Anglia Spiced Limes is not a bad frag, but it falls far short of replacing the original Crown Spiced Limes.

Anglia Perfumery Week
Anglia Perfumery Richmond (2006) - Sunday
Anglia Perfumery Strand (2008) - Monday
Anglia Perfumery Duncan (2008) - Tuesday
Anglia Perfumery Isle of Man () - Wednesday
Anglia Perfumery Imperial Lime (2002) - Thursday
Anglia Perfumery Spiced Limes (2005) - Friday

Last edited:
Rumen: the first division of the stomach of a ruminant animal, in which most food collects immediately after being swallowed and from which it is later returned to the mouth...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...the-Day-2012?p=4047727&highlight=#post4047727

As I corrected below, the name of the scent is actually "Rume." I had it wrong in my post.

Well, alright! A divisive scent! My favorite kind!

I do not get anything bovine or even animalic from it. Slumberhouses notes on it are:

Inspired by a room – the explorer’s hideaway. A burgundy/silver cologne with animalic pulse paired alongside a warm hush of clay, cola, filbert and hay. Rume is an idea, communicated through fragrance, of the desire to constantly seek out, experience and explore. An idea that contentedness is a poison and regret is the aftermath.
The notes include bay, myrrh, labdanum and praline.

Various on-line notes talk about Christmas--I can understand that--root beer, potpourri--I can buy those two--nutella/hazelnut--maybe--and strong, dark, deep, intense and resinous--not to me. Slumberhouse knows how to do strong, dark, deep, intense and resinous, and I do not get that here, although it should have plenty with the myrrh.

Seems very much right in the pocket of Slumberhouse scents. This one an ink blot of scents, I guess.

How is this one and how does it compare to Guerlain Vetiver. It's been on my list, but is pricey. . .

Not that you were asking me, but I love VpE, which is very much like Guerlain's standard vetiver although very different. Essentially the composition is the same except the tobacco is substituted with neroli. Guerlain is discontinuing (or already has) VpE so now's the time to snatch it.

VpE is a wonderfully constructed fragrance that is worth a try. The neroli note blends nicely with the vetiver.

Hermes Bel Ami for me today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom