Notes: Oud, Florals, Amber

Assorted Perfume Oils - Week 28
Profumum Olio Corpo Acqua di Sale (2008) - Monday
Justice Bodan (2010) - Tuesday
MCMC Fragrances Garden (2010) - Wednesday
40 Notes Spring Vetiver (2010) - Thursday
40 Notes Oudwood Veil (2010) - Friday
Immortal Mine (2012) - Saturday

How do you like this stuff? I got a sample & wasn't that impressed.

Meanwhile, it's Agar Aura's Tropica​ for me today. :thumbup1:

How do you like this stuff? I got a sample & wasn't that impressed.
I am really enjoying this one today. By far the better of all the perfume oils that I have tried this week. You cannot compare with oud oils because the it is blended with florals and added to an oil base. I don't know your feelings on Montale's Dark Aoud, but I was really surprised at how this frag transformed after a couple hours from a light and slightly sweet woody to this dark dry mysterious scent reminiscent to Dark Aoud which I really enjoy.

It's a really nice, soft, authentic and evocative, non-tarry, non-tanic leather. I liked it, but in the same genre, my favorites are Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur, which focuses on this note more and surrounds it with a more consonant floral support, and Cuiron, which leaves it stark and exposed. Where the Heeley is like reclining in a soft leather armchair in a bare room with a bouquet of flowers on the opposite side of the room, I find the SL more like sitting in the same chair while eating a creme brulee. I don't find it to be as dry to my nose as it apparently was to yours. I actually don't mind the juxtaposition, and find the SL sweet base to work here because of its contrast with the dry simplicity of the leather note. In the best SL frags I've tried, there is usually a similar oxymoronic pairing - e.g. in an extreme manifestation in Douche Amere (the only SL for which I've splurged for a full bottle to date), where the soft sweetness is paired with the sharp bitterness of absinthe. I find several of the individual fragrances in the SL library beautiful and interesting/innovative when considered in isolation, but after trying a lot of them, as a whole, it sometimes seems like listening to the same concerto with different soloist instruments featured.

BTW - today is Creed Erofla. Found a sample I did not even know I had and I don't know where it came from. Definite meh. If you want a salty aquatic with poor projection and longevity, you can pay a lot less and get better ones than this IMO.

Thank you for the excellent description, Mike, which not only helped me understand your perspective, but also helped me evaluate my own thoughts on Cuir Mauresque as well as a number of SL scents. Your describing SL, which I enjoy so many of, as "the same concerto with different soloist instruments featured" especially resonates with me. Vivaldi is one of my favorite baroque composers, even though many denigrate him for "writing the same concerto over and over". Whether Vivaldi or Serge Lutens, I often enjoy the style even when the variations are relatively minor.

Hermes Santal Massoia

How are you enjoying this? I've noticed you worn it a few times now.

Montale Wild Aoud

I wonder if you're enjoying this, still. What are the opening notes and general vibe with this frag?

proxy.php

Accords: Incense, Woodsy
Notes: Oud, Florals, Kephalis

Oudwood Veil is my favorite of the perfume oils that I have sampled this week. The added florals contribute to a rather fresh and light opening for an oud. It is most likely jasmine which brings this freshness to the opening, but after a couple hours the frag takes on a darker character resembling Montale's Dark Aoud. I don't know if there is sandalwood in here or if it is the Kephalis, but the effect is similar to how the sandalwood blends with the agarwood in Dark Aoud.

How appropriate for Friday The 13th!

Kephalis is a wonderful aroma chemical that's warm and smells of tobacco and amber.

How are you enjoying this? I've noticed you worn it a few times now.

Josh, the Hermes Santal Massoia was an instant like. I'm not generally in to sandalwoods and vetivers but this "milky" scent appeals very nicely. I finally bought the bottle after the samples were used up.

Givenchy Gentleman
I just received a small decant of this one from Matt yesterday in exchange for some Sir Irisch Moos. I had read somewhere that Givenchy Gentleman was similar to Sir Irisch Moos. I do see a resemblance, but there are some notable differences. Sir Irisch Moos has greater projection and longevity than Givenchy Gentleman and the drydown in Sir Irisch Moos has a soapy vibe to me. On the other hand, Givenchy Gentleman lacks the harsh opening of Sir Irisch Moos and stays pretty much linear through the drydown. Givenchy Gentleman would probably be more office-friendly, but I prefer Sir Irisch Moos.

it's Agar Aura's Tropica​ for me today. :thumbup1:

What a coincidence, I'm wearing

Aquatica
by Agar Aura

which is the follow up to Tropica from Agar Aura. It certainly has a very fresh smell to it that I think makes it very office safe without leaving any of the oud experiences behind. It's very energetic from the onset, fresh and lively, with a little zesty zing to it and a noticeable addition of frankincense. It's hard to describe what I was smelling but I found it very enjoyable and very different from any of the mukhallats I've tried so far. However, the scent didn't last as long as the others. I can still smell it when I put my nose in it but there's no sillage left. I'd say this is the easiest mukhallat for anyone to enjoy, a gateway to ouds.

http://www.johnwilliamwaterhouse.com/articles/tennyson-the-mermaid/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvf2YcllZSY
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mermaid_(ballad)

Last edited:
Dior Eau Noire for me today. Sprayed from a decant labeled by a (nameless :) ) decant vendor as 'Encre Noire' But I must admit I didn't notice the mislabel when I first bought the decant either.

Thought I was spraying on Encre Noir, wasn't I surprised. Liked this more than the last time I wore it I must admit but still a bit much fenugreek /curry smell to wear very often

proxy.php

proxy.php

Accords: soil from an unmarked grave, one single drop of blood from a slayed Wyvern, sweet elixir of dying jasmine and fading neroli, amber found in ancient tombs of civilizations lost, longing, essence of smoke from the funeral pyre, cut of material from Bela Lugosi’s cape, dust from a bat’s wing, wood resins gathered from the Forest of The Dead, myrrh scraped from the cliffs of The Dark Realm, precious ouds unearthed from burning desert sands, wax dripping from black, white and pink candles, ashes of a Phoenix, words from a dead poets mouth, rare herbs found in a cathedral’s forgotten garden, desire

Notes: rare vintage ouds and ambers, subtle essences of smoke, touches of unknown incense and drops of night blooming flowers

Opens with rich patchouli, insence and fresh floral sweetness. There may be the slightest bit of oud in the background for added depth, but not enough to really notice. The freshness fades in the drydown as the frag takes on a darker character. A sweetness remains which now seems more gourmand like vanilla perhaps. Strong projection for 4-6 hours and then remains a skin scent for eternity. I was afraid this frag might actually be immortal when it was still there in the morning, but I was finally able to scrub it off with some holy water.

Expected more oud out of this, but I was disappointed. Perhaps one could layer with oud oil like I did Sapera. At $200/0.3oz it almost costs as much as oud oils. Not something I would wear on it's own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom