What's new

Oh look, this could be a brush scuttle...

Poked into a Cost Plus World Market today, and I was super pleased to find this:
$WP_000027.jpg

"Warming Pitcher," $7.99. About the size of a large coffee mug, feels pretty solid. I've seen a few that are more boat-shaped online, but this one seems much better if I'm just using it to soak and then keep my brush warm. Obviously I bought two, one for him, one for me.

That would be a perfect size for my Wee Scott. The little Scott seems to get lost in my every day scuttle :)

"HELP.... My brush has fallen and it can't get up"

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Just did a google search and I have one of those Cost Plus World Markets here in town (within walking distance of me). Maybe I will take a stroll today and see if they have them in this store.

Cool.....

Well they DID have them in stock and I DID walk over and get myself one.

Not a bad deal for $8 (+tax) I will see how well it works later today when I shave.

The inside of the bowl is 3 1/8" (80mm) both across and deep.

If you want to see if there is one of these World Market stores in your area here is their web site address http://www.worldmarket.com/

They appear to be a national chain

Pics follow:

full

full

First impressions of this gravy/shave scuttle (I just used it for today's shave).

It is small.

I was going to use my Wee Scott but thought that would be of no help to others as it is more of a travel (or even novelty) sized brush. I am sure no one uses a Wee Scott as their daily brush, though I did live the last 2 weeks with it and a stick of Valobra (face lathering) and was very happy using it every day... Just don't seem to want to use the little Scott now that I am back home with my "real" brushes :)

OK back to first impressions

It is small (did I say that)... better say it again.... it is small. The bowl is 3 1/8" (80mm) across and deep.

I used my Simpsons Duke 2 which is not considered a whopper size brush (average or just a squeak above average sized). I had a hard time getting the brush and my fingers into the bowl of this gravy boat (shave scuttle). It was tight but I was able to whip up an ok lather using GFT sandalwood cream.

The water chamber is small (small seems to be the theme of this review)...

The scuttle did not stay hot... warm for a while but not hot. I did not change the water but continued to use it as it cooled. It never did get "cold" and the temp was above room temp after completing my shave. I started with hot water out of the tap, which is not that hot. Using boiling water might make a difference.

Conclusions:

Having used it only 1 time and with 1 brush I can't draw a definitive conclusion other than it is small (did I say this before?).

Tomorrow I will give it another go with a smaller sized brush and see if I feel differently... but it is small.

First impressions is that it is small (really) and it might be more of a novelty item than a useful scuttle. It is just too small to be a lather bowl

It might be good place to keep your brush warm if you face lather.

full

I'm guessing you face lather? That looks a little too narrow to lather in.

I used mine this afternoon with my Duke 2 and it is small. I did lather in it but it was tight.

Bowl size is 3 1/8" across and deep.

It would be a nice warm place to put your face lather brush between passes though

full

Mod EDIT: Your review from that other, unfortunate thread has been added as post #8 in this thread.

Glad this was resurrected including the very helpful review.

I agree that this may not be the best thing for everyday use, but coupled with a small, long handled brush, I think it could be a good travel scuttle.

Thanks folks for posting the info about this. Got one being held for me in Kalamazoo till I can P/U after Christmas. I think its just what I've been looking for.

To everyone out there in B & B land A Very Merry Christmas and a Healthy & Prosperous New Year.

I definitely do face lather, so the size is perfect for me, since I'm just looking for something to soak/rest my brush in. I agree with the above poster, the heat retention is just okay. But it's better than the heat retention of the coffee mug that I've been using, and pretty close to the same price, so I have no complaints.

the label says "great for keeping syrup, butter or gravy warm", if they just added and "shaving lather" their sales would jump up at least 200% because of this board alone!! lol :)

As a shower shaver, Im even interested in this little fella.

Follow up review: Small scuttle as a brush scuttle.

Today I decided to use this small scuttle as a face lather - brush holder - scuttle.

Brush: Chinese silvertip (largest knot brush I have).
Soap: Arko stick
Razor: Vision 2000
Blade: Supermax Titanium

Face later: As usual Arko whipped up copious amounts of lather on my face. Using only one face application of Arko, I had enough lather in the big silvertip for 4 full passes (WTG, XTG, ATG, then XTG from nose back. + cleanup around my chin and jaw).

I used boiling water instead of hot tap water in the scuttle reservoir. When boiling water is used, the scuttle stays HOT for the entire shave. I put the brush into the small scuttle to warm up for each face lather. The lather and brush warmed back up during the time it took for a pass. It surprised me when I put the brush to my face for the 2nd lather as it was warmer than when I started. Even the last pass and cleanup was done with hot lather. I don't mean so hot I could not apply it but NICE hot like I would want my lather to be for every shave.

Conclusion:

This little scuttle is a keeper for a face lather brush resting place. Using boiling water in the reservoir the scuttle stays comfortably hot and I get a very pleasant hot lather over and over again

If you face lather this little scuttle is worth the $8. I may go back to face lathering after today's shave :)

full

I used mine for the second time today and was quite pleased.

Yesterday I wasn't thrilled with the heat retention, although I thought there was a chance that resting it on my very cold tub was partially responsible. Today I put the pitcher on top of a washcloth--huge difference. Lather stayed hot for 2 leg passes and other assorted passes and was still warm when I rinsed it out after my shower. I guess I wish the handle was designed differently, but really, this is an $8 gravy pitcher, I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I bought one and used it this morning. It's a perfect brush scuttle for my larger brushes. And it was less than ten bucks!

Top Bottom