What's new

Just imagine...

...that you're asked to put together a list with several brushes that you like and somebody's going to buy for you one by one for a period of a year. So you get excited, develop SBAD, and start thinking how these new brushes will compliment each other and will give you a variety to pick from, etc.

Also imagine, you don't know much about brushes. You have your first scratchy pure badger 23/52 beginner's brush, a FS finest 21/42, huge floppy horse brush, and a Semogue 1305 boar. Sometimes you're in a mood for quick fun painting your face with cream for face lathering, sometimes you take it slow after shower and prepare nice lather from hard soap, or sometimes feel the need to go easy and lasy and make something quick from soft soap and want it quickly, softly and efficiently spread on your face.

So, you enjoy the pure badger but you feel it's too scratchy and it doesn't retain much of water, and you like it a lot for hard soaps but it's a bit too big for cream face lathering, and it's too stiff for making good quick lather from soft soaps.
You have fun with your soft easy going crazy horse huge brush. It makes quick lather on your face but it's annoying because it doesn't retain water well and makes a big mess around. Also, it's hungry for a looot of cream.
You don't mind the boar brush but you kinda don't have fun with it. It's very good size and feels comfortable the right size in your hand but it's too soft for soaps and not dense enough for face lathering. Also, you don't feel the bristles pleasantly hugging your face.

Now, after imaging all this, I need to ask you guys, having a lot of imagination and experience, to help me put together my list with brushes I've read about and visualized. So please, use your imagination and put them in your order of acquisition and make decisions about the models and sizes for me. I'll highly appreciate your short explanation why you'd have picked one model or size instead another.

Here's the list:
Semogue 2011 LE - Finest 1 or Finest 2?
Rooney Style 1, Silvertip - Size 1 or Size 2?
Rooney Style 3, Best - Size 1 or Size 2?
Moris & Fondran Style 1, 2-band Silvertip - what size?
H.L. Thater Silvertip - what size?
Simpson Duke Best - what size?
or Simpson Commodore Best - what size?
Shavemac Finest - what size?
Shavemac - Silvertip or D01 or D01 2-band and what size?

Thanks in advance for the participation in the exercise! It's going to help me build my dream list because, besides the brushes I mentioned having, I know only what I've read about the good expensive ones.

Of all those on your list, I only have the Duke. I would go with the Duke 3 in Best- Big enough to bowl lather but small enough to face lather if you wish. I love my 3 and am toying with the idea of getting a 2. Good luck.

Okay, that's a good start. Thanks for the input. I've put a check-mark on the scoreboard in favour of Duke 3.

Top Bottom